I was going to set rolltide up to look like a fool, but I don't have the time or patience for that today and I suspect he has already bit hard on the "muh Uranium" nonsense repeatedly.
Uranium is just a commodity, like oil or coal. Canada is the 2nd largest producer of uranium in the world. They sell to everybody. The idea that a small fraction of global production from US soil was trucked up to Canada and then sold to our enemies is laughable. They have their own material to sell if they so choose.
Again, uranium is just a commodity. You and I can buy it on the spot market. Prices have collapsed since Fukushima. Producers would gladly sell it to you right now at around $25ish/Lb (haven't looked at this in a few months). These are ten year lows. Nobody wants this shit, other than us. North Korea has its own stash. They use it for nuclear power. So do we. So do the Russians. Taking uranium the commodity and turning it into a nuclear bomb takes a lot of work and a lot of technology.
Let's start with some facts. This might help those with reasonable minds understand what the current uranium production picture looks like as it relates to the US. I'm going to use 2017 data and i'm sourcing from US Energy Information Administration.
In 2017, the United States had a total production number of 2.4 million pounds of U308, 16% less than 2016. Keep this figure in mind.
In 2017, US nuclear reactors purchased 43 million pounds of U308, down 15% from 2016. 7% of this material was US origin uranium, the other 93% came from several different countries, the bulk of which were Australia and Canada. Kazakhstan and ***GASP**** Russia were also major exporters of uranium for US consumption.
I use this information to demonstrate just how small the US is in the global picture of production vs. US demand to feed nuclear reactors. Much of the US material is being gobbled up by US reactors. We are highly reliant on the kindness of strangers to fuel our uranium needs.
Uranium 1 was a Canadian company that was bought by Russians. The US never depended on the properties in Wyoming for its uranium supply. The US is the world's leading consumer of uranium as roughly 20% or so of our electricity is powered by nuclear. The US imports most of its uranium and quite a bit of that uranium came from Russian warheads in the now defunct Megatons to Megawatts deal where Russian's down blended their nuclear warheads and sent the uranium feed to the US. That ended in 2013. You probably didn't know this, but the Russians and US have been bed partners in the uranium market for decades. This isn't some sort of scandal. It's just a commodity like oil or gas.
The official name of this was "Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of the United States of America Concerning the Disposition of Highly-Enriched Uranium Extracted from Nuclear Weapons", dated February 18, 1993 and lasted until Dec. 2013. The net result of this program took 500 tonnes of Russian warhead grade material which was converted to nearly 15,000 tonnes of low enriched uranium used in nuclear power plants.
The first Bush announced this agreement which endured through Republican and Democrats administrations. Russia and the US are not mortal enemies when it comes to uranium.
Russia legitimately acquired 51% of Uranium One. The shareholders overwhelmingly agreed to this purchase. I know, I was one of them that voted for it and enjoyed the premium paid. Why did Russia want Uranium One? Because of their mining operations in Kazakhstan. This acquisition was never about the facilities that produce uranium in the US. They have been and are for sale right now. They. Don't. Want them.
This is from the World Nuclear Association, assessing the US Mining and Exploration current picture, updated in Sept. 2018. Posted below to show just how inconsequential US production of uranium is vs. the rest of the world and further, just how small Uranium One's production is in the United States. Pay special attention to the final paragraphs that show that U1 conspiracy whack jobs have no idea what they are talking about - Uranium One wants to sell off it's US assets. They were NEVER after US uranium. The entirety of this Russian purchase of a CANADIAN company hinged on acquiring properties in Kazakhstan. The US is a rounding error in all this....
Uranium is not scarce or super valuable. It's literally everywhere, including sea water. It's costly to mine and you have to process it and then refine it and enrich it but at the end of the day, you can buy all the uranium you want for about $25/Lb.
This whole notion that uranium is some sort of strategic reserve that we need to stockpile is ludicrous. You know who one of the biggest sellers of uranium has been over the last 15 years? The US DOE which sold sloppily into the spot market to raise cash. Much of their material came from.....wait for it..........