Ten Thoughts on Colts Game

code

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love you code and appreciate your posts...but it’s year 5. He’s not going to suddenly “let it rip.”   It’s over for Marcus. He’s not the one. 

#1.  The biggest truth of this game is that one team goes into it confident that they will win regardless of who they have on the field while the other goes into the game uncertain. Too many losses to

Not to mention OCs have been telling him to let it rip for 5 years. 

30 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I love you code and appreciate your posts...but it’s year 5. He’s not going to suddenly “let it rip.”

It’s over for Marcus. He’s not the one. 

Surely it’s obvious by now?  I can’t believe the amount of fans complaining about YET ANOTHER oc being too conservative and incompetent....

In week 1, we saw instances of Marcus making throws  and getting the ball out under pressure or when plays started to break down....which gave me hope that maybe he had turned a corner.

Week 2 was 2018 all over again.   When things went off schedule, Marcus didn't trust his arm or his teammates...he held the ball and either tried to run or he went into turtle mode and ducked back into his shell.

Hell, at one point in the 4th quarter, Smith called an RPO.   Instead of biting on the inside handoff to Henry, the backside DE was clearly sitting down and playing containment.    But for whatever reason, Mariota keeps the ball and tries to beat the DE around the edge....which gives the LBs time to shut the play down.     The hell of it is, Henry had a nice gap and likely picks up 5-10 yards had Marcus simply done what he was supposed to do based on a basic one-man read.     

2 minutes ago, nine said:

In week 1, we saw instances of Marcus making throws  and getting the ball out under pressure or when plays started to break down....which gave me hope that maybe he had turned a corner.

Week 2 was 2018 all over again.   When things went off schedule, Marcus didn't trust his arm or his teammates...he held the ball and either tried to run or he went into turtle mode and ducked back into his shell.

Hell, at one point in the 4th quarter, Smith called an RPO.   Instead of biting on the inside handoff to Henry, the backside DE was clearly sitting down and playing containment.    But for whatever reason, Mariota keeps the ball and tries to beat the DE around the edge....which gives the LBs time to shut the play down.     The hell of it is, Henry had a nice gap and likely picks up 5-10 yards had Marcus simply done what he was supposed to do based on a basic one-man read.     

LOL @ turtle mode...

Seriously, Marcus had his worst game as a pro IMO yesterday. Absolutely pathetic. 

29 minutes ago, nine said:

Good pickup. Clear as day. If he cant even run RPO, there is no hope at all.

38 minutes ago, nine said:

That play drove me to drinking. Henry had a massive lane.

Mariota is a shattered, broken QB at this point. I bet every team in the league would take Gardner Minshew over him right now.

@code His problem, with the skillset he has, isn’t that he doesnt push the ball down field. He doesnt have the arm for that. It’s that he tries to push the ball down field every play and doesn’t take the checkdowns. Which is what Robinson told him this offseason - start taking the checkdowns and stop holding the ball. 

What confounds me is that he’s a very intelligent player - yet his situational football IQ is quite low as we see repeatedly. 

Edited by tgo

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

@code His problem, with the skillset he has, isn’t that he doesnt push the ball down field. He doesnt have the arm for that. It’s that he tries to push the ball down field every play and doesn’t take the checkdowns. Which is what Robinson told him this offseason - start taking the checkdowns and stop holding the ball. 

What confounds me is that he’s a very intelligent player - yet his situational football IQ is quite low as we see repeatedly. 

He's got no feel for the game.  When to throw the ball, where to go with it, what to do under pressure, how much velocity to use, etc.  It's why LaFluer put him in a box.  Smith surely realizes that now.

My post was not exactly a ringing endorsement for MM. I will not say over until the season is actually over. But yesterday didn't go into the 'pro' column. Davis, Brown and Humphries are all legitimate NFL receivers. Obviously so is Walker.  Ultimately you have to make plays.