QB Controversy

Denali

43 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

I agree it should have been higher. I just think there's overreaction about one bad throw and a couple other subpar plays where he was rushed and kinda just threw it away. I just don't think there was enough to qualify it as "Mariota is clearly inferior." If you believed that he was the lesser QB before this game, then I guess it's fine. 

Yeah, I get that. I just think it's possible, at least for some of us, to call it like we see it without going into hyperbole mode. It's hard to look at how he was throwing the ball and not think his arm looked weak. 

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

I'd add that Mariota would not be under this kind of scrutiny for one preseason series if not for two straight poor years from a production standpoint.  There's a reason beyond injury as to why he's playing on a 5th year option with zero talks about a new contract.  It's the same reason they traded for a starting caliber QB to "push" him. 

At this point, Mariota has no excuses.  He either needs to produce or they need to play Tannehill.

1 hour ago, ap24786 said:

Look it doesn't really matter. It's preseason game 1. Tannehill looked better yesterday but in my opinion it was a product of him having four drives vs MM having one drive. If MM stinks it up during the regular season and Tannehill comes in and plays well, then it's a valid point.

It matters a bunch. Everything matters, preseason and practice matters. 

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

If Vrabel was starting an injured Maroita then its dereliction and worthy of major criticism or worse. 

He’s always had a weak arm, his problem is confidence. At least in terms of the weak passes

Well then Nostrodamus...you better get out ahead of the rest & call for Vrabel's head now. Cuz God knows...no one here is tired of your endless "I told you so" ego driven narratives lol...

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Broken man?

Seemed same tone as the one Jake Locker did mid-2014 season, right before he got benched, where he said he was going to play football the way he wanted to play it. I think he got benched before his next game after that conference. 

3 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Too bad you completely fabricated what happened once RT took over on the 2nd drive.

Drive 2 - 3 and out.  Taylor dropped a pass on 3rd down that would have been a 1st down on 3rd and 2.

Drive 3 - It was an 8 play 89 yard TD drive.  Tannehill was 4 for 4 for 35 yards plus he had an 8-yard scramble.  Yes McKinnon had the 37yard run and Dawkins had a 9 yard run too. 

Drive 4 - 3 and out.  RT was 2-2 for 7 yards but the 3rd down pass was a checkdown to Firkser for 6 on 3rd and 9.

Drive 5  - 11 play 87 yard TD drive.  RT was 5-8 for 82 yards.  Taylor had the drop on what would have been a TD but it was also underthrown.  6 plays later was the TD pass to Firkser.

Meanwhile, at least 2 of Mariota's 4 completions were inaccurate passes and he totally blew the most wide open pass he had available.

Even @8MM admitted that Tannehill looked a lot better than Mariota. 

This idea that Mariota is so much better than Tannehill is TR fantasy land stuff.  I'm not saying Mariota isn't the #1 right now but if it was a true open competition that would be very much in question.

Careful there.  Saying receivers "dropped a pass" and using phrases like "would have" will be viewed as being an apologist/homer/ball hugger with this crowd.  

3 hours ago, CreepingDeath said:

There we go.  More context.  From my understanding (just from reading here on TR), Mariota gets one drive in Preseason Game One before sitting out.  The new backup gets four drives and has something to prove since he signed a one year "try out" contract in the hopes of becoming a starter again somewhere.  Mariota only needs to show the coaches he's the starter - not the fans/detractors.  

How some of you sound, it seems like the butthole test.  ;)

Which part lead to the "broken man" comment?  

Shtick

4 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Too bad you completely fabricated what happened once RT took over on the 2nd drive.

Drive 2 - 3 and out.  Taylor dropped a pass on 3rd down that would have been a 1st down on 3rd and 2.

Drive 3 - It was an 8 play 89 yard TD drive.  Tannehill was 4 for 4 for 35 yards plus he had an 8-yard scramble.  Yes McKinnon had the 37yard run and Dawkins had a 9 yard run too. 

Drive 4 - 3 and out.  RT was 2-2 for 7 yards but the 3rd down pass was a checkdown to Firkser for 6 on 3rd and 9.

Drive 5  - 11 play 87 yard TD drive.  RT was 5-8 for 82 yards.  Taylor had the drop on what would have been a TD but it was also underthrown.  6 plays later was the TD pass to Firkser.

Meanwhile, at least 2 of Mariota's 4 completions were inaccurate passes and he totally blew the most wide open pass he had available.

Even @8MM admitted that Tannehill looked a lot better than Mariota. 

This idea that Mariota is so much better than Tannehill is TR fantasy land stuff.  I'm not saying Mariota isn't the #1 right now but if it was a true open competition that would be very much in question.

Tanny definitely won round 1. I was impressed with his poise in the pocket. There were 5 or 6 passes when he was being pressured and he stood in the pocket and made a play instead running. Marcus needs to take note of that. The play Humphries made on the ball that MM threw way behind him was a thing of beauty.

7 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Tannehill has had 6 game winning drives in his last 24 games.  You don't know shit.

It’s not the games he’s won.. it’s the games he’s thrown away. 

24 games for tannehill is like 3 seasons btw

6 minutes ago, titanruss said:

It’s not the games he’s won.. it’s the games he’s thrown away. 

24 games for tannehill is like 3 seasons btw

They've won 80% of one score games over his past two seasons.  That's higher than Mariota.  That's higher than Brady.  Stop pulling things out of your ass.  You don't know anything.

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

Mariota will either be part of Titans next season or he will not be. I just do not see any thing else. 

I do. One of the local churches is doing a Titans themed nativity scene next Christmas. The nativity scene will feature the Virgin Mariota.