ap24786   
Just now, nine said:

If the organization isn’t willing to commit to a contract extension, I doubt they’re willing to give Marcus a pass for subpar play.

Marcus has earned the opportunity to prove that he’s the one who gives the team the better chance of winning.  He didn’t show this in PSG1.   If he hasn’t shown  it over the next 3-4 weeks, the coaching staff could decide Mariota’s had his opportunity and it’s time to give RT a chance.  

So you won't even give him a shot in the regular season? Lol 

The team is going to give him a minimum of 4-5 regular season games, unless he really just sucks it up and is throwing interceptions left and right. 

BudAdams   
3 minutes ago, nine said:

If the organization isn’t willing to commit to a contract extension, I doubt they’re willing to give Marcus a pass for subpar play.

Marcus has earned the opportunity to prove that he gives the team the better chance of winning....but he didn’t show it in PSG1.

If he still hasn’t shown it after another 3-4 weeks, the coaching staff could decide Mariota’s had his opportunity and it’s time to give RT a chance.  

Exactly and it's new territory for everyone involved.  Mariota has never had real competition for PT before. 

1 minute ago, ap24786 said:

The team is going to give him a minimum of 4-5 regular season games, unless he really just sucks it up and is throwing interceptions left and right. 

Mariota will never be put in a position IMO to throw tons of picks.  If the offense is poor to start out and they are losing games, which is very possible, I really don't know if Vrabel can afford to coddle Mariota's feelings at the expense of the season when they have no commitment to him beyond 2019. 

Someone help me here, please.  I didn't watch the game nor have seen any highlights.  Was what Tannehill did on Thursday really THAT impressive?  I mean, beyond the resident agenda-hammers here, what's with the hype?

It's preseason.  Game one.  Did the Eagles even play starters?  

I'm serious, what did I miss?  My instinct is to think all of you are drowning in overreaction and the constant drumming of "the agenda."

Just now, CreepingDeath said:

Someone help me here, please.  I didn't watch the game nor have seen any highlights.  Was what Tannehill did on Thursday really THAT impressive?  I mean, beyond the resident agenda-hammers here, what's with the hype?

I'm serious, what did I miss?  My instinct is to think all of you are drowning in overreaction and the constant drumming of "the agenda."

Tannehills arm pops off the screen with strength and velocity. Mariota has none of that

Rogue   
43 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

If RT showed he was the better man for the job in the preseason, then why should they go to Mariota?  

Is this pro-football or pre-school?  

BudAdams   
1 minute ago, CreepingDeath said:

It was impressive but more in contrast to how Mariota looked throwing the ball.  Tannehill did have a couple of drops by Taylor but one of them was an underthrown ball that should have been an easy TD.  Of note, they did score a TD on the same drive.  Mariota had a couple of drops but neither was on target.  One of them, to Jennings, was an easy, wide open throw whereas the ball led Jennings out of bounds.

Accuracy, velocity, decisiveness, pocket presence - Tannehill just looked much better than Mariota.   

abc2330   

II can't understand why people don't want to see RT with the ones.  He's new to the system.  We saw what Mariota looked like at this stage before his injury, and there is no comparison.  There is really nothing to gain for him playing with the 2s .  If he keeps tearing them up and Mariota stinks again during the dress rehearsal, it will absolutely become a distraction for the team .  

Thanks for the replies.

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Tannehills arm pops off the screen with strength and velocity. Mariota has none of that

I still am not convinced as it is the preseason (no real defensive schemes, non-starters, etc).  Add in that Tannehill was dumped after a long stint in Miami doesn't spell "world-beater" to me.  If Mariota flounders when it matters (regular season), then sure - put in the backup.

2 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

II can't understand why people don't want to see RT with the ones.  He's new to the system.  We saw what Mariota looked like at this stage before his injury, and there is no comparison.  There is really nothing to gain for him playing with the 2s .  If he keeps tearing them up and Mariota stinks again during the dress rehearsal, it will absolutely become a distraction for the team .  

It's only a "distraction" if the Tenn media makes it one.  If I've learned anything as a fan of this team, no one really cares about the Titans.  

big2033   

If there is indeed a battle that Mariota has to win, his time in Tennessee is almost over even if he keeps the job.

Our franchise QB can't be battling it out with his backup in the final year of his contract.

Edited by big2033