Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, ap24786 said:

The QB controversy hysteria is comical. Look, I think Tannehill is a good QB. I think he could still start for 5-8 teams. That being said, this notion that there should be a QB controversy let alone Tannehill should start is simply due to volume of plays for each player. 

 

In four drives last night, his last drive was very good. Two went 3 and out, and one was completely driven by the run game which produced like 75 yards before Tannehill threw a one yard TD pass.  He looked calm in the pocket sure, but the OL was dominating the game and gave him a lot of time. People are overreacting to one game because they think Mariota couldn't do the same if he had great OL play and was going against backups. 

Its just about passing the eyeball test last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His arm looked totally shot. I have no idea what happened, but he did not start off his career throwing with such a lack of velocity. The first pass of his career to Delanie was an absolute laser. Maybe the injuries have simply caught up to him, but he looked awful last night any way you cut it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreepingDeath said:

Someone help me here, please.  I didn't watch the game nor have seen any highlights.  Was what Tannehill did on Thursday really THAT impressive?  I mean, beyond the resident agenda-hammers here, what's with the hype?

 

It's preseason.  Game one.  Did the Eagles even play starters?  

 

I'm serious, what did I miss?  My instinct is to think all of you are drowning in overreaction and the constant drumming of "the agenda."

Marcus threw 2 terrible balls that were nearly uncatchable but Humphries made great receptions on, out of the 8 total passes he threw. MM was 4-8. Tanny came in and had several really nice touch throws and looked extremely comfortbable in the pocket, more so than Marcus. Tanny stayed in the pocket under pressure and made the right throw every time. His touchdown passes were right on the money. Tanny was 12 for 16  and 2 TDs and I dont remember any receptions being checkdowns. Hollister looks like he may have a shot at making the team especially after Taylor dropped two that hit him in the hands.

Edited by freakingeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Divine   
2 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

The QB controversy hysteria is comical. Look, I think Tannehill is a good QB. I think he could still start for 5-8 teams. That being said, this notion that there should be a QB controversy let alone Tannehill should start is simply due to volume of plays for each player. 

 

In four drives last night, his last drive was very good. Two went 3 and out, and one was completely driven by the run game which produced like 75 yards before Tannehill threw a one yard TD pass.  He looked calm in the pocket sure, but the OL was dominating the game and gave him a lot of time. People are overreacting to one game because they think Mariota couldn't do the same if he had great OL play and was going against backups. 

Mariota missed a easy throw to Jennings that a 5th year QB should have easily made. A lot people with me included are concern about his arm strength and his throwing  mechanics. Like it didn’t matter if it was 1st out there or 4th sting out his arm looks meh at best. Tannehills arm looked a lot more lively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rogue said:

Tannehill's got a downside.  I don't know what it is and he didn't show it last night.  

 

There's a better than average chance he has to fill in for Marcus at some point, so we'll see him in real games with real pressure.  

It’s choking. His downside is getting injured and choking. He also is aggressive to the point of detriment. He’s also 31 and not getting any better. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

His arm looked totally shot. I have no idea what happened, but he did not start off his career throwing with such a lack of velocity. The first pass of his career to Delanie was an absolute laser. Maybe the injuries have simply caught up to him, but he looked awful last night any way you cut it. 

Could still have a nerve problem. Could also explain the sitting out day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   
1 minute ago, titanruss said:

It’s choking. His downside is getting injured and choking. He also is aggressive to the point of detriment. He’s also 31 and not getting any better. 

 

 

Tannehill has had 6 game winning drives in his last 24 games.  You don't know shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   

If Vrabel was starting an injured Maroita then its dereliction and worthy of major criticism or worse. 

 

He’s always had a weak arm, his problem is confidence. At least in terms of the weak passes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ap24786 said:

The QB controversy hysteria is comical. Look, I think Tannehill is a good QB. I think he could still start for 5-8 teams. That being said, this notion that there should be a QB controversy let alone Tannehill should start is simply due to volume of plays for each player. 

 

In four drives last night, his last drive was very good. Two went 3 and out, and one was completely driven by the run game which produced like 75 yards before Tannehill threw a one yard TD pass.  He looked calm in the pocket sure, but the OL was dominating the game and gave him a lot of time. People are overreacting to one game because they think Mariota couldn't do the same if he had great OL play and was going against backups. 

There we go.  More context.  From my understanding (just from reading here on TR), Mariota gets one drive in Preseason Game One before sitting out.  The new backup gets four drives and has something to prove since he signed a one year "try out" contract in the hopes of becoming a starter again somewhere.  Mariota only needs to show the coaches he's the starter - not the fans/detractors.  

 

59 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Its just about passing the eyeball test last night

How some of you sound, it seems like the butthole test.  ;)

 

7 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Broken man?

 

 

 

 

Which part lead to the "broken man" comment?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   

The controversy is far from comical. The two have had comparable careers and Tannehill flat out looks better right now. This should be an open competition and always should've been. Mariota's arm looked completely shot on every throw but one last night. Why is he so afraid to put some velocity on the damn ball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ap24786   
4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

The controversy is far from comical. The two have had comparable careers and Tannehill flat out looks better right now. This should be an open competition and always should've been. Mariota's arm looked completely shot on every throw but one last night. Why is he so afraid to put some velocity on the damn ball?

The throws he was making didn't require velocity. He put a lot of velocity on the 4th down throw to fit it into Humpries and he dropped it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Omar   

I am just glad the team seems to finally have a capable back up QB, who prob still has some upside. I hope Mariota has a great year, if not, I think this team can win with RT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BudAdams   
1 hour ago, ap24786 said:

The QB controversy hysteria is comical. Look, I think Tannehill is a good QB. I think he could still start for 5-8 teams. That being said, this notion that there should be a QB controversy let alone Tannehill should start is simply due to volume of plays for each player. 

 

In four drives last night, his last drive was very good. Two went 3 and out, and one was completely driven by the run game which produced like 75 yards before Tannehill threw a one yard TD pass.  He looked calm in the pocket sure, but the OL was dominating the game and gave him a lot of time. People are overreacting to one game because they think Mariota couldn't do the same if he had great OL play and was going against backups. 

Too bad you completely fabricated what happened once RT took over on the 2nd drive.

 

Drive 2 - 3 and out.  Taylor dropped a pass on 3rd down that would have been a 1st down on 3rd and 2.

Drive 3 - It was an 8 play 89 yard TD drive.  Tannehill was 4 for 4 for 35 yards plus he had an 8-yard scramble.  Yes McKinnon had the 37yard run and Dawkins had a 9 yard run too. 

Drive 4 - 3 and out.  RT was 2-2 for 7 yards but the 3rd down pass was a checkdown to Firkser for 6 on 3rd and 9.

Drive 5  - 11 play 87 yard TD drive.  RT was 5-8 for 82 yards.  Taylor had the drop on what would have been a TD but it was also underthrown.  6 plays later was the TD pass to Firkser.

 

Meanwhile, at least 2 of Mariota's 4 completions were inaccurate passes and he totally blew the most wide open pass he had available.

 

Even @8MM admitted that Tannehill looked a lot better than Mariota. 

 

This idea that Mariota is so much better than Tannehill is TR fantasy land stuff.  I'm not saying Mariota isn't the #1 right now but if it was a true open competition that would be very much in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
2 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

The throws he was making didn't require velocity. He put a lot of velocity on the 4th down throw to fit it into Humpries and he dropped it. 

None required a cannon arm but a few certainly required at least more velocity than he used. The pass to Jennings would've been an easy catch and at chest level had he put the appropriate amount of velocity on it. There was also a crossing route that he threw behind Humphries because it had so little velocity. It was a clear problem last night. People are talking about his placement being bad but IMO most of those badly placed balls were due to a lack of velocity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...