Beddingfield: More Questions Than Answers After GB

Jonboy

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys are discussing the wrong thing in this thread. The right thing to notice is that Taylor was more wide open in the first drive under LaFleur than any WR the entirety of 2017. 

After watching the Mariota-to-Williams play a few times, I don't think it's a case of Marcus being asked to read the whole field pre-snap....or even half the field.  I don't think he had a route progr

Lol...already 4 pages arguing about the decision making of 1 pass that resulted in a 30 yard (?) gain on the first drive of a preseason game.   Never change TR....

Posted Images

So questions on the Marriota critique -

1. He hit williams- but wasn't that the first read?  It seemed Taywan was getting open at the same time as MM was throwing. He would have predicted Taywan getting open.  Or did I see that wrong?  
  2. Leaving the pocket too quickly.  I was thinking this was part of the we were told would be the coaching. Its a timed offense. So he drops back and he should be throwing as his back foot hits. If its not there then, then he bails.  So its quick decision making and time responses. 

Thoughts on that?   I'm not worried about if I'm incorrect.  Just curious on different perspectives.  

This quote is apparent yet maybe not true b/c he didn't look off his 1st read.  Maybe Taylor would've fallen down again?

A big third-down conversion kept the drive alive.  Even though on that play Marcus Mariota missed a crossing Taywan Taylor who was running free and open but chose to make a tough throw to Nick Williams.

22 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Yeah I don't get that complaint.  MM saw his first read and made the decision that he could make that throw.  The way this offense is built on timing- if he moves to Taylor then he gives up on Williams.  He can't go back to that read.   He made the throw. Got a key first down and they scored on the drive.   It seems the epitome of monday morning qb'ing.  

I don't know if I'm right in my thinking on this, so take it fwiw. Taylor may have caught the pass and gotten pretty good yardage, but he was running a crossing route, which made his momentum different from Williams who was already running downfield with the exception of the little move to get past his man. Taylor would have had to make more of an effort to changing the direction of his momentum, which would have taken a little bit longer to do and maybe given one of the Packer defenders time to get to him.

That's only speculation on my part. It just seems odd for Beddingfield to criticize, even if only slightly, a play that was such a vital part of the drive's success. Maybe Taylor would have pushed the ball further down the field or even scored a touchdown, but he just as easily could have fallen down or been tackled a good 10 to 20 yards short of where Williams took the ball. In the end, it's a moot point because it was a good play and it helped lead to a touchdown. And more importantly, it may have been a "tougher" pass than a pass to Taylor would have been, but Mariota delivered the ball exactly where it needed to be delivered (which would seem to blow a hole in the idea that Mariota "panicked"). Even if the pass to Taylor would have been easier, that doesn't necessarily mean it would have been the better pass to make on that play. Beddingfield should know that.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

46 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Yeah I don't get that complaint.  MM saw his first read and made the decision that he could make that throw.  The way this offense is built on timing- if he moves to Taylor then he gives up on Williams.  He can't go back to that read.   He made the throw. Got a key first down and they scored on the drive.   It seems the epitome of monday morning qb'ing.  

I think Beddingfield is right. Taylor was open well before Marcus threw the ball. In fact, Taylor was running wide open while Williams was actually still trying to fight/shake off Rollins: 

image.png.f406342f673203c11c05d3f15e85d129.png

I get that it feels nitpicky because the result was good but if Rollins knocks that down it would be a more serious critique. Can't hate on the results though.

Edited by Mythos27

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

I think Beddingfield is right. By the Taylor was open before Marcus threw the ball. In fact, Taylor was running wide open while Williams was actually still trying to fight/shake off Rollins: 

I get that it feels nitpicky because the result was good but if Rollins knocks that down it would be a more serious critique. Can't hate on the results though.

:30_no_mouth:

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I think Beddingfield is right. Taylor was open well before Marcus threw the ball. In fact, Taylor was running wide open while Williams was actually still trying to fight/shake off Rollins: 

What is his progression though?  Wouldn't that be key in a timing driven offense?