Chadiha: Anonymous GM on Tannehill

Jamalisms

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not only does this sound exactly right in that, if he gets on a hot streak, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl with, it's also exactly right that he is a product of his surroundings and he is not an

We literally have nothing surrounding him right now 

I'm just shocked that Tannehill isn't lighting it up throwing to the 4th-7th receivers on the team behind the 27th ranked pass blocking unit!

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

There was a lot of talk about Tannehill being a top 3 QB here. People are now trying to pretend none of that stuff happened.

He was playing in that group in 2019 and 2020. Nice try though acting anyone said it was more than just those two seasons.

5 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

The GM is correct given the current state of affairs.  

Agreed. I'm sure you especially appreciate and concur with the part where Tannehill getting on a hot streak requires everyone else to play out of their minds.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

He was playing in that group in 2019 and 2020. Nice try though acting anyone said it was more than just those two seasons.

This is definitely reframing the arguments at the time. No one denied his stats were elite. That was self evident. The question was is he elite? The answer from you and others was that he was, not just that he was playing well in that situation.

I still can't help but wonder if there's somewhat if a pass scheme/player mismatch with Tannehill and Downing. Downing is hyper focused on the intermediate game  with that whole Linehan concept focus, and doesn't dial up as much YAC stuff as Art, while Tannehill previously excelled more with down field PA passing than we've been doing this year. Hard to say how much is philosophical vs. personnel. 

Hopefully they get the kinks worked out and we can bolster the TE position to have more flexibility with personnel sets. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, Jamalisms said:

Agreed. I'm sure you especially appreciate and concur with the part where Tannehill getting on a hot streak requires everyone else to play out of their minds.

Did I say I agreed in full with his entire opinion? 

Tannehill producing at a high level is dependent on NFL caliber receivers and good pass protection.  They need Brown and Jones back because the other explosive receiving option (Johnson) is done for the year.  As for the OL, there are signs it's getting better but they still suck in pass protection if it's an obvious passing situation.  That's not changing.

People who argued Tannehill is the MVP:

"Well, yeah. Duh. This is hardly even analysis. It's so common sense I don't know why you shared."

Me, who always said Tannehill is good, not great:

"This is pretty harsh at times, but ... well, I guess. Yeah."

... it's almost like people are running away from their extreme takes on how great the guy was. So much so that they can't even be bothered to note the harshness of the quote until you force them.

24 minutes ago, headhunter said:

We literally have nothing surrounding him right now 

Yeah I don't understand this board. It's not like Tannehill went point A (solid starters and pro bowlers) to point B (some solid starters and a pro bowler). He went all the way to point D (literally no pro bowlers and a few starters). Even the pro bowlers left on this offense (Lewan, Saffold) aren't playing to full potential right now.

The regression we're seeing is when Tannehill loses EVERYBODY and the Oline falls apart. He had success with AJB, Jonnu, and Davis last year and prior. 

Jonnu has less than 300 yds and 1 TD this year. 

Davis has less than 500 yds and 4 TD this year (and 25% that shit came against the Titans)

AJB is on a stretcher most of the year -- but he still got 600 yds with this QB that people are dogging. 

JUST FUCKING LOOK AT THIS DEPTH CHART!!!! Why are we having this conversation????

image.png.b27256ad57e0756e19412314f43b2e9a.png

16 minutes ago, tgo said:

I'm actually going for the opposite and attempting to emphasize that it is not binary. 

The QB position always trumps the RB position. 

But Tannehill needs Henry or another high level back with a high level run game to reach the promised land, imo

Anymore than other non HOF QBs need? Tannehill doesn't need Henry to be good. He needs an OL and Weapons. You are basically calling him a game manager by saying he needs a high level RB. Thats the narrative that deserves to be critiqued.

MVP of a team is subjective to the rest of the team, how the team operates etc. It isn't equivalent to saying "he is the only thing that needs to be there for it all to work". That's a basic as hell take.

The Titans offense may not pass 40 times a game, but when they do pass, it is often in critical situations, like 3rd and long, down late, or in the red zone. Tannehill has been great at those things up until the wheels came off the team recently. This is why he is the most important part of the offense, like any QB is of any offense worth noting since a while now.

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

I still can't help but wonder if there's somewhat if a pass scheme/player mismatch with Tannehill and Downing. Downing is hyper focused on the intermediate game  with that whole Linehan concept focus, and doesn't dial up as much YAC stuff as Art, while Tannehill previously excelled more with down field PA passing than we've been doing this year. Hard to say how much is philosophical vs. personnel. 

Hopefully they get the kinks worked out and we can bolster the TE position to have more flexibility with personnel sets. 

I just think that after the first few games and Tannehill taking way too many sacks, they re-thought the offense and had to limit how long he was going to hold onto the ball for his own safety. The downfield passing game relied too much on the OLine blocking for longer than they were able to consistently.

I do think they need to mix in a few more shots downfield. But no point in doing that now when they have no decent WRs. Maybe if they activate McMath they can put him out in a fly pattern or 2.