The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney

tgo

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take this for what it’s worth, when i broke the Lewan suspension hours and hours before any media members did - the same guy who slipped that to me just texted me and said that Clowney has already agr

Jurrell Casey died for this.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, nine said:

We already know Vrabel and Clowney go way back.   I kinda figured this deal would come down to either Seattle or Tennessee, barring any surprise dark horses.

I'm sure Clowney sees himself as a $20M+/year guy, and he probably thought teams would be lined up to throw money at him....but it sounds like NFL GMs didn't get the memo.    I don't see him as an elite game-wrecker....but he's a very good player, and I'd have no problem with $15M/year.   But with his history of injuries and inconsistency, I'd have anything beyond that tied to performance incentives.

I honestly believe the pandemic is fucking this guy out of quite a bit of money. If teams were able to give him a physical he would have been signed by now. Maybe not at what he thought his going rate was, but it would have been in that 15-16 million range with escalators for a several year contract and quite a bit guaranteed. Something like 3 years 50 million with escalators up to 55-60. 

5 hours ago, nine said:

We already know Vrabel and Clowney go way back.   I kinda figured this deal would come down to either Seattle or Tennessee, barring any surprise dark horses.

I'm sure Clowney sees himself as a $20M+/year guy, and he probably thought teams would be lined up to throw money at him....but it sounds like NFL GMs didn't get the memo.    I don't see him as an elite game-wrecker....but he's a very good player, and I'd have no problem with $15M/year.   But with his history of injuries and inconsistency, I'd have anything beyond that tied to performance incentives.

I put him in a similar category as Suh. Great talent but some injuries/intangible questions. While he's a very good player, his talent level and his actual performance don't really align consistently enough. He was supposed to be a generational talent and I don't think he's reached that. He's not in that class of Donald and Mack where it's a slam dunk. That, and I do think the pandemic is affecting him. He might be better served to just take a 1 yr and then re-enter FA. He'd still be young enough.

36 minutes ago, ctm said:

Guys like Clowney, Henry, etc. need to quit being fools and take the money now.  The value of stocks have significantly declined.  If this continues, other assets will follow. Commercial real estate will likely be next. In this environment, cash is king because it will buy more.

10M, 12M, etc. is still life changing money if managed properly.  Take the money now and live for another day.  And that doesn't even count the fact that the season could get cancelled and with no contract they would get ZERO.  Easy decision, mitigate the risk.

In fact, the best thing that could happen to Henry is that he get 10M, then doesn't have to play for it and put another year of wear and tear on his body.  Then next spring he's a free agent or gets tagged again with a 20% increase.

These guys know that careers can end quickly. They want to maximize their contracts now. It’s their last chance at a huge contract. 

The guys wanting one year deals if the market is not to their liking is tied to the new CBA.  Everyone is projecting a massive bump in the salary cap next year one the new TV deals are struck, which undoubtedly will effect the market - cap cost %.  A guy like Clowney, who 16 M last year can take that gamble.  A guy like Henry, off a rookie deal, is probayneter off signing the tender now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/21/will-jadeveon-clowney-stay-in-seattle/

There’s some initial chatter on the NFL grapevine that Seattle could be in the process of working something out with Clowney. It’s possible, however, that Clowney’s camp is putting that out there in an effort to drum up interest elsewhere.

• TitansGuru changed the title to The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney
  • Jonboy locked this topic