Preseason Week 2: Patriots @ Titans

Jonboy

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Marcus looked competent on that drive!   Then....he goes balls out on a preseason 2 pt conversion. I expect to hear of elbow numbness soon. RIP in peace.

Both QBs played well, mariota against starters and Tanny against backups.   We should be happy for both.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Obviously there were a few off target passes like the one behind Walker and the screen Lewis had to go up and get but I’ll tell you the play that really highlights Mariota’s flaws. 

The 3rd and 10 completion to Davis. 

MM drops back and held the ball forever, it was actually excellent pass pro to hold up. 

MM was holding the ball waiting for Davis to get open then threw it, Davis caught it and went down with no yards after the catch. 

You won’t have a top passing offense like this, no way. This is just what he is at this point. 

The QB has to throw with anticipation to targets on the move , he’ll that’s the strength of Davis. 

If you dont see or understand this then then you don’t know what you’re looking at. 

The throw was behind Delanie because it had to be. If he leads him it’s likely a pick, at the very least a PBU. There are plenty of plays to choose from to criticize MM, but this one is not one of them. 

Gonna try and watch the game in full today. I was watching snippets because it’s just preseason and I’d rather watch UFC fights. 

Judging by the game recap highlights, I came away still discouraged. Mariota looked better than he did the first game, but he was still too up and down. That throw to walker was a beauty. The throw to CD was dog shit. Tannehill looked good. 

Our defense and depth continues to impress. 

18 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

It was fine. It was a basic throw against single coverage, nothing to celebrate in a preseason game. Nothing to get excited about. 

It was a nice throw but the adulations being given over it are cringe worthy. 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea, “it’s a fucking preseason game”, he won’t be allowed to sit in the pocket on 3rd and 10 in a real game, they’ll force him to make a quick throw. 

Pretty crap example for you to try and make. Wasn’t he top 3 in the league in 3rd/4th and long conversions/comp % last season with a bum throwing hand? I know he had a 31.4% 1st down rate on 3rd Downs 10+ yards. Not sure how that compares to the rest of the league but it seems like a high success rate to me when compared to some elite QBs...

Mahomes(MVP)- 34.7%

Brady-26.5%

Rivers- 26.4%

Roethlisberger-22.9%

Goff-22.9%

Brees- 17.9%

edit: I refined the search to only include pass plays and Mariota’s % dropped to 31.3% The Titans as a team(including when Gabbert was playing) were 4th in the league at converting 3rd and long passing. Here is the list. 

spacer.pngDE4F88ED-A85E-4419-89C4-1924B3BDF87A.thumb.jpeg.1db47ef7f572719a732859c06232e383.jpeg

12 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Pretty crap example for you to try and make. Wasn’t he top 3 in the league in 3rd/4th and long conversions/comp % last season with a bum throwing hand? I know he had a 31.4% 1st down rate on 3rd Downs 10+ yards. Not sure how that compares to the rest of the league but it seems like a high success rate to me when compared to some elite QBs...

Mahomes(MVP)- 34.7%

Brady-26.5%

Rivers- 26.4%

Roethlisberger-22.9%

Goff-22.9%

Brees- 17.9%

I heard he was first in 4th down situations where he throws but the right tackle only gets one hand on the backup defensive end.

If that isn't an indicator of how elite he is I don't know what is. 

39 minutes ago, DecepticonShawn said:

Maybe im incorrect but early in the game I thought I heard the announcers say ne sat all their starters. Is this true?

Did not play

WR 1 C.Meredith, LB 8 J.Collins, WR 8 N.Harry, WR 11 J.Edelman, QB 12 T.Brady, WR 13 P.Dorsett, SS 23 P.Chung, DB 24 S.Gilmore, RB 26 S.Michel, RB 28 J.White, CB 30 J.McCourty, DB 31 J.Jones, DB 32 D.McCourty, RB 34 R.Burkhead, DB 46 J.Develin, LB 52 E.Roberts, LB 53 K.Van Noy, LB 54 D.Hightower, C 60 D.Andrews, OL 61 M.Cannon, OL 62 J.Thuney, OL 65 Y.Cajuste, OL 69 S.Mason, DL 70 A.Butler, DL 77 M.Bennett, TE 80 S.Anderson, WR 82 M.Harris, TE 83 M.LaCosse, WR 88 D.Thomas, DL 93 L.Guy

24 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Mahomes(MVP)- 34.7%

Brady-26.5%

Rivers- 26.4%

Roethlisberger-22.9%

Goff-22.9%

Brees- 17.9%

edit: I refined the search to only include pass plays and Mariota’s % dropped to 31.3% The Titans as a team(including when Gabbert was playing) were 4th in the league at converting 3rd and long passing. Here is the list. 

spacer.pngDE4F88ED-A85E-4419-89C4-1924B3BDF87A.thumb.jpeg.1db47ef7f572719a732859c06232e383.jpeg

I would cease trying to use stats to prove Mariota is a good QB. it won't end well with you. Nice attempt at cherry picking though!

• Jonboy unpinned this topic