Stillman says Byard has requested his release from the Titans

BudsOilers

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If "impending retirement" is a dumbass way to say he's getting older, I'm banning the next douche who posts one of that guy's tweets.

Titans fans in 2022: "This roster is old, over-paid, and way too injury prone. We have to tear it down completely"!   *Ran cuts most of the old, over-paid, or injury prone players*  

I'm mad as fuck. I want Carthon gone 

Posted Images

Just now, scine09 said:

My fault.  I still don’t like it, however.  There’s gotta be other ways to operate than releasing one of the heart and souls of the team who is still playing at a high level.

Keep in mind this is a just a rumor and I tend to believe if there was any meat to this, the National Guy would have been circulating it hours ago. That being said, lets say its true. The Titans have very few big contracts they can restucture. Byard, Tannehill, Landry.... Anyone else?

17 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

He didn’t give up anything by restructuring in the past. And his salary this year is high regardless. 

16 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You realize Players benefit from restructures as well right? Its not they moved money into later years and didn't hpay him more up front in either signing or roster bonuses.

This isn't correct and isn't my point. Let me clarify.

Byard did not take a pay cut when restructuring (obviously). But his yearly salary was lower in past years than it should have been because of the restructures. The most recent restructure resulted in his 2023 salary going from $17.4 million to $19.6 million, and his 2024 from $15.6 million to $17.8 million. 

However, this is a result of his original 2022 salary of $15.8 million dropping to $7.1 million. 

If he was to agree to a paycut, he'd absolutely be giving up something because of the restructures. The salary looks higher now because he agreed to lower before. 

Maybe Carthon thinks it was too high even without the inflated numbers related to his restructuring, but Byard has a right to hold firm. As mentioned, he's getting the guaranteed money regardless, so there's no incentive for a paycut.

9 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

There have been legit reports about the Titans shopping Henry and now about cutting Byard. Nothing concrete about Tannehill has ever been reported. 

I think you could make an argument based on what we have seen so far, that they are trying to create cap space via means other than restructuring Landy or dealing with Tannehill. But it's early.  It will likely come to one or both of those avenues at some point.

Also, RC didn't pay, much less over pay for a WR, when they desperately need one.  It's been a conservative cap strategy thus far.

Edited by ctm

10 minutes ago, rns90 said:

That's why they want a restructure.  Trade/Cut is the last resort for the Titans.  And as much as I like Byard, he is getting overpaid (not Ran's fault).

The only saving 6 million part is why he won't be outright released. Both sides know that. I'm not going into the 'full rebuild if it happens' but it would signify the team is prioritizing a philosophy over a really good player. It's an interesting situation. 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The only saving 6 million part is why he won't be outright released. Both sides know that. I'm not going into the 'full rebuild if it happens' but it would signify the team is prioritizing a philosophy over a really good player. It's an interesting situation. 

Maybe they think he can replaced and their isn't a great drop off in play/coverage?  Didn't SF roll with Tashaun Gipson who they basically signed off the street in training camp?

4 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It would be 14M post June and that would come close to paying for all the post June expenses.  But that would also push money into 2024.

8 minutes ago, cenj said:

This isn't correct and isn't my point. Let me clarify.

Byard did not take a pay cut when restructuring (obviously). But his yearly salary was lower in past years than it should have been because of the restructures. The most recent restructure resulted in his 2023 salary going from $17.4 million to $19.6 million, and his 2024 from $15.6 million to $17.8 million. 

However, this is a result of his original 2022 salary of $15.8 million dropping to $7.1 million. 

If he was to agree to a paycut, he'd absolutely be giving up something because of the restructures. The salary looks higher now because he agreed to lower before. 

Maybe Carthon thinks it was too high even without the inflated numbers related to his restructuring, but Byard has a right to hold firm. As mentioned, he's getting the guaranteed money regardless, so there's no incentive for a paycut.

You are looking at the previous restructures wrong. He absolutely benefitted from those even though his annual salary went down in the form of up front money. Its the only reason players would agree to them. Now in this case it a pay cut so yes he would and should be upset by that.