Ran Carthon hired as the new Titans GM

AussieTitanFan08

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His chin could quiver 24/7 and we would never know.

WOWOWOW    All Hail Ran Carthon, Top 5 NFL GM

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

Burks in for a huge YAC bump in the right offense.

Also wonder if there might be some interest in Jennings if they give him a low tender as a RFA.

Burks is legit

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

I didn’t get the impression that the players loved Robinson.

I get the impression that Robinson loved the impression that the players loved him. Or rather, I think he wanted everyone to think he was just one of the guys. Might be half the reason he spent so much time on the practice field with his whistle? Even if Carthon did the same thing I have a feeling he'd be more welcomed than Robinson just due to the fact he was a player just like them. He can actually relate to what's going on with them internally. But I don't think we'll see Carthon at practices as much and the times he is at practice he's not going to be out there trying to act like the 12th coach on the field, running drills and shit like that.

11 minutes ago, tgo said:

Hard to be more effusive in your praise than all of what Lynch said. I could be wrong, but I don’t think you often see execs give such extensive comments after one of their guys leaves. I also took away from that that Vrabel and Lynch surely spoke about the fit with Carthon. Also, more vibes that Robinson was clashing with people in the Titans organization. 

Edited by titaninpgh

45 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I get the impression that Robinson loved the impression that the players loved him. Or rather, I think he wanted everyone to think he was just one of the guys. Might be half the reason he spent so much time on the practice field with his whistle? Even if Carthon did the same thing I have a feeling he'd be more welcomed than Robinson just due to the fact he was a player just like them. He can actually relate to what's going on with them internally. But I don't think we'll see Carthon at practices as much and the times he is at practice he's not going to be out there trying to act like the 12th coach on the field, running drills and shit like that.

That drove me nuts like he was not need there and if he wanted to coach then go coach.  But he was Vrabel’s boss so he had no choice.  I think if Ran is out there it will because Vrabel asked him to be 

I have no idea if Carthon will be good (no one does), but the hire makes a ton of sense and seems like a perfect fit:

- Comes from successful franchise with a great track record

- solid, varied experience from several staffs and franchises (not just a gamble on potential)

- Philosophical background leads to prioritizing tough, smart players

- Much of the personnel philosophy and player-fit needs in SF match what the Titans want

- Track record of finding the right fit for the system (especially low-buy)

- GM and coach relationship in SF is the definition of collaboration. Everyone with a clear vision of exactly what they need at every position, so the scouts know exactly what to look for ("marching orders")

- Playing background and legitimacy. Won't need to prove to players he's one of them (please don't run drills)

- Great communicator who should be clear in expressing he and Vrabel's vision

- Worked with Lynch and Shanahan (who owns that offense) and has been getting nothing but praise, so he should be able to confidently work with and even keep in check a dominating personality like Vrabel.

- An outside hire with different connections than the Houston or Ohio State families.

This is assuming reports of him are true and not just PR garbage, which we can't know until we see him in action. 

Just now, tgo said:

Bold.

That's a statement that may well have helped him get the job, but it's also one that will get him canned more quickly if he can't back it.

I like it though -- he clearly believes rebuilding isn't necessary and you can be competitive without gutting things, which means he's confident in getting the right fits later in the draft and via free agency. That takes confidence in your personnel assessments. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

I can see where he’s coming from. Defense is in pretty good shape so need to focus on the offense mainly. 

- Creat some cap space 

- Decide what you want to do at QB

- Fix the O-Line

- Grab some weapons on offense. A good #2 receiver and an in-line TE to pair with Chig.