Titans inquiring with the Bears about trading up for First Overall Pick?

ChesterCopperpot1

5 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Neither of us are angry but this is one of your lame diversion of attempts of late to try to deflect getting trampled in these discussions.  It's been well explained as to why a trade from 11 to 1 is far fetched and full of logic holes - the pure cost of that type of move in draft capital, the poor FA options, etc. that would leave the roster full of holes and basically set up the new QB for failure....

Add that none of these QB prospects grade out as generational guys (and there's a good reason Chicago is looking for a sucker to overpay to move up.  This isn't Manning or Luck or Elway sitting there to be had.

As for Nagy, you falsely have crowned him as some QB developer because he just happened to be the QB coach when Mahomes was drafted....Everybody knows Reid is the QB/offensive guru there.  I'm not saying he's a bad coach but the proclamation that he's ideal for this is a big assumption based on what he's done when you exclude Mahomes from the equation.

I know you like meathead, but it would be funny to bring in Nagy...the HC that won COY and was fired 3 seasons later. 

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here we go with the overreaction.... if Carthon isn't calling around to see what it would take he wouldn't be a good GM. if they really like Stroud or Young enough to move up, I say go for it. Jus

Simmons isn't getting traded.

I'm not believing this based on that source but Tannehill is a decent, short term option with complications. If you want a guy and to put something together, you go get him.   There's basica

Posted Images

Tennessee → Los Angeles (PD). Tennessee traded its first-, fourth-, and sixth-round selections (1st, 113th, and 177th) to Los Angeles in exchange for Los Angeles's first-round, two second-round, and third-round selections in this year's draft (15th, 43rd, 45th, and 76th) as well as Los Angeles's first- and third-round selections in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Cleveland → Philadelphia (PD). Cleveland traded this selection (2nd) and a conditional fifth-round selection in 2017 to Philadelphia in exchange for Philadelphia's first-round, third-round, and fourth-round selections in this years draft (8th, 77th, and 100th) as well as Philadelphia's first-round selection in the 2017 NFL Draft and second-round selection in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Miami → San Francisco (PD). Miami traded a first-round selection (3rd overall) to San Francisco in exchange for a first-round selection (12th overall), 2022 first- and third-round selections, and a 2023 first-round selection.

---- 

Without considering the demand to move up from other teams (Indy and Carolina), these trades would present the baseline of any possible move to #1.

All include at least one future 1RP in the next year. With the drop of 10 spots, that requires at least two more high value draft assets. 

So you're looking at  three 1s and probably the 2RP to move to #1.

If you're Tennessee you hope you can recoup some of the losses in total draft assets by trading Tannehill

52 minutes ago, scine09 said:

They only got one extra first round pick in the trade with the Rams.  And that was to trade down to 15, not 10.

But it included multiple 2nd round picks and a 3rd.

This team is cap strapped and has too many holes to fill to give away a lions share of their draft capital for a guy that MAY or may not turn out to be a great QB. I don't believe either of those guys to be a generational QB like Burrow but it's fun to discuss the possible scenarios.

The team has more cap flexibility than you make it seem. I think we'll be in a healthy spot next offseason.

If the team really likes a QB and the opportunity to get him is there, then we need to pull the trigger. No question. 

A lot of the trepidation is just fear. No QB is a sure thing. At some point you have to take one though. If you wait for the perfect prospect, you will be waiting for a long time.

Edited by titansfan

2 minutes ago, titansfan said:

The team has more cap flexibility than you make it seem. I think we'll be in a healthy spot next offseason 

Do you feel like either guy is a franchise QB?

Just now, freakingeek said:

Do you feel like either guy is a franchise QB?

Yes, I feel very good about Young and Stroud. And see paths for them to be very successful in the league (to a lesser extent, I do with Levis and AR as well).

I think Stroud's FLOOR is a Jared Goff like player. He's very safe and offers pretty good upside imo.

If you like the prospects and the price is not insurmountable then moving up to draft a QB is a reasonable alternative to sticking with Tannehill, particularly if the Titans and Tannehill have significant disagreements about his contract going forward. At the very least, it's smart to explore it as an alternative so you know all your options going into potential negotiations with Tannehill.

I still think it makes sense to try to work toward a reasonable deal with Tannehill which lowers his cap hit per year. If they do that, they don't need to draft a QB yet.

Despite all the talk of falling in love with prospects, it's much more rare that a team with a solid QB pays a king's ransom to move up to draft a guy then it is that a team has no viable starter and thus has to draft one.

Tannehill's solid but I don't think they can be the best paying Tannehill 16.3% of the 2023 cap. That's at the high end of the optimal QB spending (11-17%). If the Titans cannot work out a reasonable deal with Tannehill then I do think they will need to cut or trade him. It doesn't make sense to keep him around as lame duck who you couldn't agree to terms with past 2023. It would just be time to cut your losses and move on.

7 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Despite all the talk of falling in love with prospects, it's much more rare that a team with a solid QB pays a king's ransom to move up to draft a guy then it is that a team has no viable starter and thus has to draft one.

One team that did it recently, however, is the team Ran came from.

7 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

True and the move bombed....Lance has been a massive bust so far.

Yeah, I'd love to know his candid thoughts on how that move worked out and what he learned from it.

22 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

One team that did it recently, however, is the team Ran came from.

Their team was in a lot better spot when they did that though. I don't think the roster, particularly on offense, is at the level that the SF or KC teams where when they did that.

I think it's an option but most people don't think we're in the situation where the missing piece on offense is an elite QB. Plus, they also kept Smith and Garoppolo on their rosters.