Ran Carthon hired as the new Titans GM

AussieTitanFan08

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His chin could quiver 24/7 and we would never know.

WOWOWOW    All Hail Ran Carthon, Top 5 NFL GM

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I find it interesting how collaboration really ended up being the the differentiator. Carthon's people skills and ability to work together probably really set him apart. Robinson really must have become intolerable to work with 🤣

I'm curious if Robinson started ignoring Vrabel's concerns about the roster or players. Really would love to know what all happened after the extension. Did making it to the AFC Championship (but losing) make him go crazy? Did the extension cause his ego to get way too big?

It sounds like he went rouge and started making decisions without really consulting or asking Vrabel's input.

2 minutes ago, cenj said:

I'm still of the opinion that Amy Adams is a fucking boss.

There are a lot of shitty owners. I think we've got a pretty damn good one. I know some didn't like her delay in handling the media after JRob, or letting Vrabel answer questions first. But I don't get the vibe the JRob thing was some angry overeaction. She seems the right amount involved -- not dictating day to day decisions or deciding draft picks, but also not so hands off that people can ignore her and their responsibilty to the franchise. She clearly wants to win a Superbowl.

I thought the committee approach to interviews was a really solid approach -

Strunk + Adolpho Birch III, Ken IV, Nihil, and Werly is a pretty good group for decision making.

7 minutes ago, nine said:

Everyone saw the sudden and dramatic shift in Vrabel’s demeanor after JRob was fired;  I think he was just as stunned as everyone else…and not in a good way.     

He certainly didn’t come across like a guy who had just won a power struggle or been given a bigger voice in the team’s direction.   He basically looked like a guy who had just watched his boss get the axe ….and who knows he’d better come up with a way to right the ship or he’ll be next.  

Totally agree re: demeanor - and probably the distraction that it was for the team was a big challenge.

But clearly there were some philosophical conflicts that were inhibiting success as well.

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

I find it interesting how collaboration really ended up being the the differentiator. Carthon's people skills and ability to work together probably really set him apart. Robinson really must have become intolerable to work with 🤣

I'm curious if Robinson started ignoring Vrabel's concerns about the roster or players. Really would love to know what all happened after the extension. Did making it to the AFC Championship (but losing) make him go crazy? Did the extension cause his ego to get way too big?

"His background is special, but he just has tremendous people skills – you enjoy being around him. He makes an organization better because of his attributes."

Lynch, whose team is preparing to face the Cowboys in the Divisional Round of the playoffs this weekend, said he talked to the Titans – and Carthon – throughout the process.

Lynch said the Titans were very pointed in their questions about Carthon, especially after the initial interview. Some of it, Lynch said, centered on the dynamics of how Carthon and Vrabel would work together.

Over the weekend, Lynch said 49ers CEO Jed York also talked to Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk at length about Carthon.

I am glad that he has good people skills and collaborates well, but I do somewhat worry that we may be overcompensating. Collaborative ability is great, but identifying talent and managing a roster is way more important. A FO with a cantankerous GM who is a master talent evaluator is likely going to produce better onfield results than one headed by a nice guy who can't evaluate. 

Carthon obviously has great experience scouting, and I'm very hopeful/confident that he will be good at evaluating, but I'd much rather be seeing stories about him finding diamonds in the rough than about him being super pleasant to be around. 

Here's to hoping his talent evaluation skills are as good as his people skills. 

I would be careful not to believe every negative rumor about JRob.  It's part of the sports business to rag on the previous GM.  Oddly, a lot of the rumors had to have been going on in 2022.  To believe he did enough in 8 months to get fired in a stretch. 

We are happy to have a new GM, but don't forget the JRob ride.  Let's hope for better results.  Super Bowl!!

21 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Do teams do this? As your pick comes up in each round, everyone involved at any level in the draft process should record their personal choice for that selection. A year later, and every year, look back and see who knows their stuff.

I fear that has the potential to be a fairly futile exercise in a lot of cases, guys fail or succeed after the draft for a variety of reasons, coaching, scheme, injuries, personal issues etc

For instance, Laken Tomlinson of the Lions looked like a giant bust, went to SF and was one of the best G in the NFL