Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

tgo

If any of you guys subscribe to The Athletic, Rexrode does an excellent breakdown of Smith's gameplan which was "kill em on first down" and how and why it worked so well. IIRC 250 of our 350 yards of offense came on first down. Good read. The Athletic had a $24 special for the entire year. Good content. Romo had quite a bit of praise for Smith's play calling during the game too.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at. Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiski

As for the 75yd screen pass, they used the same play in the first qtr. The difference was that in the first qtr, Henry ran through the line and got caught up, hence Mariota overthrew him to avoid the

Posted Images

2 hours ago, tgo said:

Something getting lost in all this as well is the presence of Todd Downing on the staff who is an offensive savant of sorts. Creative former OC who is now the TE coach but is very heavily involved in the passing game especially. 

We went 13 personnel on several plays with all three tight ends and a RB on the field on Sunday. 

Edited by freakingeek

4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able to marry a comparable running game with a much better passing game. The other big difference is his timing/feel for the game as a play caller. He was absolutely brilliant yesterday and kept the Browns off balance all game. I'm more excited about Smith than any other individual performance we saw yesterday. 

To be fair to Mularkey, Smith has better receivers to work with.

I'm not going to dog Lafleur. He got guys open. But I don't think his scheme fit all of our players very well. But we'll never know for sure, because he was only here one year. Smith is using some of those concepts, for continuity, but I think he's also scheming specific guys open and simplifying the looks, which fits Mariota well. It's just one game, but the Browns defense is pretty good.

24 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

If any of you guys subscribe to The Athletic, Rexrode does an excellent breakdown of Smith's gameplan which was "kill em on first down" and how and why it worked so well. IIRC 250 of our 350 yards of offense came on first down. Good read. The Athletic had a $24 special for the entire year. Good content. Romo had quite a bit of praise for Smith's play calling during the game too.

Link? I missed this one. 

28 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

At least in this game there was max protect, play action, 2 man routes, pre snap defined reads. All the successful pass plays he knew where he was going. 

The problems will arise if they fall behind or get behind the chains a lot 

Very true.  Just like vs the Eagles last year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401030842

39 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Situational football.

Based on a defensive tendency(ies).

That's why Robiskie is a RB coach now.

This concept/type of play was used a lot under Mularkey/Robskie.  Part of why they had the #1 red zone offense in 2016.  The last time before Sunday that Mariota had 3 or more touchdowns passing? With Robiskie calling the plays.

44 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Thanks for the reference. It was a good read.  One of the things they've talked about in the past was Mariota's ability to call and change things at the line.   I wonder how many of these were straight calls by Smith and how many were things MM recognized and got right.   Just a thought

Just now, Pragidealist said:

Thanks for the reference. It was a good read.  One of the things they've talked about in the past was Mariota's ability to call and change things at the line.   I wonder how many of these were straight calls by Smith and how many were things MM recognized and got right.   Just a thought

It would be interesting to know. Smith certainly has paid his dues and waited for his opportunity. I think he's the only remaining staff member from the old days now that the Turk is gone. Smith has also learned under some great offensive minded coaches in his time here.