tgo

Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

25 minutes ago, ChemEngr79 said:

Link? I don't see this....

I tried to find the link and couldn't locate it. I saw it on the Twitter feed on TR a few months ago. It was $23.99 for the year. The only thing I could find was a referral link that would give you 40% off the price if you use the link but I'm not sure what that cost would be to you.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf40&plan_id=45&shared_by_name=Gary&shared_by=2771657 

I found a post about the special deal on another sports message board but the link  takes you straight to the current cover page of the athletic. Sorry I couldn't help more.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12858208-1-year-subscription-to-the-athletic-1-99-mo-23-88

54 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

I tried to find the link and couldn't locate it. I saw it on the Twitter feed on TR a few months ago. It was $23.99 for the year. The only thing I could find was a referral link that would give you 40% off the price if you use the link but I'm not sure what that cost would be to you.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf40&plan_id=45&shared_by_name=Gary&shared_by=2771657 

I found a post about the special deal on another sports message board but the link  takes you straight to the current cover page of the athletic. Sorry I couldn't help more.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12858208-1-year-subscription-to-the-athletic-1-99-mo-23-88

40% off was 20% better than I found! 

Thanks.

16 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Exactly.  Actually Mariota went from a 76 passer rating to over a 100 solely on the Henry screen pass TD.  Then to 121 on the Walker PA pass.  Then to 133 on the 2nd TD pass to Walker.  Those 3 throws went around 10 yards of distance in total air yardage.

The All 22 showed plenty of plays last year where guys were running open and either 8 threw an inaccurate ball (even on some that were completed) or he didn't throw it and either bailed from the pocket or took a sack. 

Regardless, it was one game.  You need at least a handful of games before we can make a reasonable judgement on Smith.  He's facing better defenses the next two weeks than he did in Cleveland.

I watched highlights of the KC-JAC game. Mahomes had a large majority of his yards gained on YAC from passes that were 10 yards or less in air.

I'd say more MLF. His offense reminded me of the old Broncos under Mike Shanahan, which puts him under the Bill Walsh tree (my favorite of course.) 

Haven't exactly looked hard at it, but that was my impression. 

On 9/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, TitanDuckFan said:

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at.

Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiskie either wasn't good at recognizing those or didn't bother calling plays to exploit them.

He seemed dead set on using a handful of his favorite plays insisting that they'd eventually pop.  It was a recipe for disaster.

He mentioned a few times how he and Mularkey would argue about it later, but it never improved.

I still say Mularkey could have saved his job if not for his devotion to Robiskie.

The problem was far more playcalling than it was scheme related.

Exactly. Gotta be malleable. I kept noticing that left side was dogshit and wanted us to screen or sweep that side. I come back from the fridge and Henry is on a 75 yd td run. 

16 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

I watched highlights of the KC-JAC game. Mahomes had a large majority of his yards gained on YAC from passes that were 10 yards or less in air.

That's always how it is though for every decent QB... The criticism isnt that we finally got a couple plays that allowed the run after but that it's not something that needs to be bragged about because every QB passes short ones and let's the receivers do the work

The Henry screen was great but the YAC was all blocking and his speed, for some reason we've just never ran an acceptable amount of screens

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's always how it is though for every decent QB... The criticism isnt that we finally got a couple plays that allowed the run after but that it's not something that needs to be bragged about because every QB passes short ones and let's the receivers do the work

The Henry screen was great but the YAC was all blocking and his speed, for some reason we've just never ran an acceptable amount of screens

Yeah 2/3 of Mahomes TDs were all on the ball catcher lol.

16 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Exactly.  Actually Mariota went from a 76 passer rating to over a 100 solely on the Henry screen pass TD.  Then to 121 on the Walker PA pass.  Then to 133 on the 2nd TD pass to Walker.  Those 3 throws went around 10 yards of distance in total air yardage.

The All 22 showed plenty of plays last year where guys were running open and either 8 threw an inaccurate ball (even on some that were completed) or he didn't throw it and either bailed from the pocket or took a sack. 

Regardless, it was one game.  You need at least a handful of games before we can make a reasonable judgement on Smith.  He's facing better defenses the next two weeks than he did in Cleveland.

How many times are you gonna move the goal posts? I don't give a shit if Mariota has a 10+ Yard completion. Look at Brady's or Mahomes' scatterplot. If you're throwing it down field, ya just might be Blake Bortles in the 4th quarter with not a chance in hell to win. 

Are you Paul Kuharskey? 

25 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

The Steelers game is where Collinsworth showed the complete change in Ben's numbers.  The dude gets the ball out of hands faster than anyone.  Years ago the offensive design was 180 different -- downfield stuff and Ben holding the ball forever.  Anyway, the ball is out fast on short passes (timing, rhythm) and the rest is up to the receivers.  Of course, having AB all those years I'm sure was a big part of the equation.

Just now, SleepingTitan said:

How many times are you gonna move the goal posts? I don't give a shit if Mariota has a 10+ Yard completion. Look at Brady's or Mahomes' scatterplot. If you're throwing it down field, ya just might be Blake Bortles in the 4th quarter with not a chance in hell to win. 

Are you Paul Kuharskey? 

I'm super glad that MM was productive but it's asinine to pretend it was some elite performance with an incredible degree of difficulty.  He's had more impressive games than this one.  He deserves credit for executing the passes but I would expect nearly any NFL QB to make the throws on the 3 scoring plays. 

It's also asinine to even throw MM into a discussion with Mahomes or Brady.  The track record will not be your friend.

2 minutes ago, begooode said:

The Steelers game is where Collinsworth showed the complete change in Ben's numbers.  The dude gets the ball out of hands faster than anyone.  Years ago the offensive design was 180 different -- downfield stuff and Ben holding the ball forever.  Anyway, the ball is out fast on short passes (timing, rhythm) and the rest is up to the receivers.  Of course, having AB all those years I'm sure was a big part of the equation.

The whole league is doing this, which is a huge reason why the completion %'s and Passer Ratings have skyrocketed compared to the past. 

It's also why ball placement is so important.  The 51-yard crosser to Brown is a perfect example.  Mariota hit him perfectly in stride and allowed him to gain another 40 yards. 

It didn’t feel like it was that long ago when the norm was hucking it 30 yards+ down field constantly.

I guess that’s why guys like Winston don’t do to well now. I wonder how Favre would do if he played now.

It's been much more short and intermediate passes for a long time, especially compared to the 70's or early 80's.  Still, the evolution of spread offenses with the bubble screens and other quick throws has exploded of late.  60% of pass plays last year were 5 yards or less from the LOS, including 25% at or behind the LOS.  80% are within 10 yards.

Multiple reasons of course - poor OL play, advantageous passing game rules, more young QB's playing so quick, one read throws are way easier to implement.

18 hours ago, Justafan said:

ML, in his entire tenure as OC, never schemed up anything as effective as that.

The Eagles offensive game plan was brilliant last year. But ML was very up and down overall. The jury is still out on Smith, but game one goes on the "plus" side for sure.

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

It's been much more short and intermediate passes for a long time, especially compared to the 70's or early 80's.  Still, the evolution of spread offenses with the bubble screens and other quick throws has exploded of late.  60% of pass plays last year were 5 yards or less from the LOS, including 25% at or behind the LOS.  80% are within 10 yards.

Multiple reasons of course - poor OL play, advantageous passing game rules, more young QB's playing so quick, one read throws are way easier to implement.

With how easy DPI is to draw you’d think deep passes would still be in.