Titans Trade for Tannehill, Release Gabbert

Jonboy

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given their injury history Mariota and Tannehill might just be able to cover a full 16 game regular season schedule.

Part of my job is keeping up with tech news, software updates, bugs, etc. so I have twitter open all day at work. I use Tweetdeck and have it docked to the side of my screen at all times. So when some

Posted Images

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

How much of that IS the Patriots dominance? The Phins have been okay and the Bills have been somewhat okay, but it's hard to envision the division having the best overall record.

I'd assume if you took the 2nd through 4th teams in each divisions the AFC East would be low.  Buffalo's been terrible since 2002, Miami's been one of the worst teams in football in that time and the Jets have been hot and cold.  But when you have a team winning 12-14 games seemingly every year the numbers will be good.  Even if the Jets/Dolphins/Bills all go 7-9 in a given year, if the Patriots go 14-2 in that same year the division would be over .500.

Here's an interesting question.  Since Brady took over in NE who's been the 2nd best QB in the division who's been able to have any kind of sustained success?  Chad Pennington?  The biggest problem with that division has been poor/inconsistent QB play.

Edited by scine09

20 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I'd assume if you took the 2nd through 4th teams in each divisions the AFC East would be low.  Buffalo's been terrible since 2002, Miami's been one of the worst teams in football in that time and the Jets have been hot and cold.  But when you have a team winning 12-14 games seemingly every year the numbers will be good.  Even if the Jets/Dolphins/Bills all go 7-9 in a given year, if the Patriots go 14-2 in that same year the division would be over .500.

Here's an interesting question.  Since Brady took over in NE who's been the 2nd best QB in the division who's been able to have any kind of sustained success?  Chad Pennington?  The biggest problem with that division has been poor/inconsistent QB play.

How long are we talking as sustained success? I’d venture to say it’s either Pennington or Tannehill. Although Mark Sanchez did reach the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

How long are we talking as sustained success? I’d venture to say it’s either Pennington or Tannehill. Although Mark Sanchez did reach the playoffs. 

Pennington was better than Tannehill.  

11 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It's not hard to imagine a scenario where he's the 2020 starting QB. 

Music to my ears.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Like I said, the fact he said MM is the starter is telling 

Telling only to those not smart enough to know better.

Absolutely love this move. 

The more i think about it the more I love it. 

Tannehill at 2 million is the best acquisition of the offseason considering the situation and state of the QB position and team. 

If we let MM go he will net a comp 3 or we tag and trade for an immediate 2 or 3 and go with Tannehill on cheap deal and make a power move for Fromm

with all that said... if Stidham is sitting there in round 3 or 4 this year and we got our OL and DL in round 1&2 I would also take Stidham

3 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think if JRob were skeptical about it, he would just get rid of Mariota. I mean, I don’t doubt there is some concern (obviously, since we upgraded the backup position), but JRob has shown an aggressive nature in dealing with players with issues. 

That injury is probably the worst part about this whole thing. You never TRULY know if he is 100% healthy. 

They couldn't just get rid of him due to the injury, the option is injury guaranteed and they would owe him the money anyway. I do believe they're still thinking MM can be the guy, just pointing that out.

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

Do you know that since realignment the AFC East has the best overall record?  I agree on paper it seems bad and obviously the Patriots have something to do with it but it’s not as bad as it seems.

Did you know that since the year 2001 the Patriots have won 11 or more games 15 times and that they haven't won fewer than 11 games since the 2009 season?

It's possible the AFC East's record has been embellished just a bit.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

44 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Did you know that since the year 2001 the Patriots have won 11 or more games 15 times and that they haven't won fewer than 11 games since the 2009 season?

It's possible the AFC East's record has been embellished just a bit.

Yes, I am aware of all that.  And I referenced that the division's record has a lot to do with the Patriots' record.

Not that surprising, really.  

Pats have obviously dominated the past two decades. 

The Marv Levy/Jim Kelly-era Bills were one of the great teams of the 90s and played in four Super Bowls.

The Miami Dolphins had only two losing seasons from 1970-2003, which is incredible.

Former Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has joined this not-so-exclusive club. The remainder of his signing bonus and a can-kicking restructuring bonus already meant that he’d count for $13.423 million this year, if released without a post-June 1 designation. The curious decision of the Dolphins to pay $5 million of his salary in order to get a seventh-round pick and a future fourth-round pick for Tannehill and a sixth-round pick increases the cap charge to a whopping $18.423 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/16/dolphins-will-carry-more-than-18-million-under-the-salary-cap-for-ryan-tannehill/

6 minutes ago, nine said:

Not that surprising, really.  

Pats have obviously dominated the past two decades. 

The Marv Levy/Jim Kelly-era Bills were one of the great teams of the 90s and played in four Super Bowls.

The Miami Dolphins had only two losing seasons from 1970-2003, which is incredible.

On that theme, I heard that the Broncos had their first back to back losing seasons since the early 70's.  Also incredible.

2 hours ago, ctm said:

Former Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has joined this not-so-exclusive club. The remainder of his signing bonus and a can-kicking restructuring bonus already meant that he’d count for $13.423 million this year, if released without a post-June 1 designation. The curious decision of the Dolphins to pay $5 million of his salary in order to get a seventh-round pick and a future fourth-round pick for Tannehill and a sixth-round pick increases the cap charge to a whopping $18.423 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/16/dolphins-will-carry-more-than-18-million-under-the-salary-cap-for-ryan-tannehill/

$5M does seem like a lot to pay for a 4th round pick next year. Maybe he had some other guaranteed money if he didn’t renegotiate?

6 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

P.S. I totally called Mariota "Ryan Tannehill Jr." during the draft process. Now the dude is on our team. Life is strange.

Does that mean that Mariota was Gabbert Jr? Or Casell Jr?