Titans Head Coaching Candidates (Confirmed Interviews: Vrabel, Wilks, LaFleur...)

Jonboy

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

I don't think DeFilipo would bring in LaFleur as OC. DeFilipo would likely hire someone he's worked with to run his system. 

I also don't think our current defensive personnel aligns with the Seattle defense. 

Do any of these other guys have a DeFilippo connection? Or even a LaFleur connection? I keep seeing them brought up as potential OCs, but don't see a connection other than the Schwartz/DeFillipo combo.

Interesting thought on the personnel. I'm not sure how much weight that should ultimately carry if you believe in the coordinator. I'm willing to bet flexibility and maximizing players will be key for any coordinator JRob brings in, regardless of the system with which they're most familiar. 

If we go with a young guy at HC, we definitely need multiple veterans on staff. McVey did it right by hiring Wade Phillips as his DC and Jim Fassel as his special teams coordinator.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope we interview DeFillipo. Everything I’ve read or watched on that guy has been incredibly impressive. 

Can I have him? Please, can I? You'll never have to walk him, I swear!      

Since the day he was hired.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

raised the possibility of Kris Richard as DC yesterday, don't know much about him, is he just riding on the coattails of the talent of that defense.

could certainly get aboard that combination of staff though, having two known QB guys for Marcus to lean on would be excellent.

It seems Richard got screwed in Seattle. He'd been with the team since 2010 and coached DBs under Dan Quinn for the bulk of his time there. And we all know how good their secondary was. Many in the media seemed to be surprised by his firing. Seems he and Carroll may have had a falling out.

8 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Do any of these other guys have a DeFilippo connection? Or even a LaFleur connection? I keep seeing them brought up as potential OCs, but don't see a connection other than the Schwartz/DeFillipo combo.

Interesting thought on the personnel. I'm not sure how much weight that should ultimately carry if you believe in the coordinator. I'm willing to bet flexibility and maximizing players will be key for any coordinator JRob brings in, regardless of the system with which they're most familiar. 

If we go with a young guy at HC, we definitely need multiple veterans on staff. McVey did it right by hiring Wade Phillips as his DC and Jim Fassel as his special teams coordinator.

Well it's not just about being familiar with the system, it's about ability. The Seattle defense generally requires longer physical press man corners for instance, and it requires very athletic and fast players. This kind of change would require a complete re-tooling of the roster imo

More likely, they'll hire someone who will run a defense that more aptly utilizes the current personnel. But who knows. 

Were you talking about defensive coordinator options re: the DeFilippo/LaFleur connection question? One guy who I would bet DeFilippo would target is Mike Groh Philly's WR coach, who is very highly regarded around the league when it comes to offense. And you mentioned LaFleur's brother previously.  

Personally, I think it's a very legitimate possibility that if you were to hire Flip or LaFleur or Reich as HC that they'd keep LeBeau and company in place on defense. 

That's less likely if you hire Vrabel or Wilks or Schwartz or whatever. 

Edited by tgo

They run a base 4-3 Under in Seattle. That fits quite well with our current personnel. There’s little to no difference between a 1 gap 3-4, which we ran quite a bit, and the 4-3 under. Casey stays 3 tech, Johnson goes to 1 tech, Morgan strong side DE and Orakpo the weak side DE. Brown is the WLB with Williamson or Woodyard as MLB. We would have to pick up a SLB, as none of the backers fit that role. I think Jones would be gone in this scheme, as he doesn’t fit the 3 or 1. We keep Sly as backup 1 tech and Klug comes back as backup 3. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

Harbaugh has a better staff at UM than he could probably assemble at this level, actually likes recruiting, and would be considered somewhat of a traitor at his beloved alma mater if he were to leave at this point; he has his dream job, no way he's leaving all that to come here.