Mettenberger Waived

Cam.

Mett is a guy that is going to have to get reps at game speed to improve his play. Which is probably only going to happen if Rivers gets hurt or retires. He has a damn good arm.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"But people who know me know I'm not going down without a fight to the death."

He's going to be signed by the Pats, will beat out Jimmy Garoppolo, and play so well they keep Brady on the bench when he returns from his suspension.  Am I doing it right?

This is my first GIF, so go easy on my work TR.

Posted Images

Mett has a strong arm no one questions that. But he is slow footed and slow to process what is going on. Also big thing last year his attitude went down the  toilet. He sulked and I don't think prepared as well as he did his rookie year. And he is not the most mature person either. He really was bad last year. He had to go. When Mariota was drafted Mett went in the tank mode. Good luck in charger land. 

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Kellen Clemens could give hima run for that #2 spot.  Especially when you want consistency more than anything from the #2 guy.   

I read an article where the author described the back up situation as a whole in SD as being awful right now. It's looking like whoever wins the back up job will do so by default. Of course things could change as the offense gets in rhythm through camp.

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Mett is a guy that is going to have to get reps at game speed to improve his play. Which is probably only going to happen if Rivers gets hurt or retires. He has a damn good arm.

So did Jeff George, but there's a lot more to the QB position than a good arm, as you know. His windup is ridiculously slow, and he stares at receivers. Both traits are things that COULD improve with more reps, but won't necessarily. I think he'll be a career backup, always capable of a good game here and there against teams with poor pass rush/defense, but never a guy that can elevate the team around him.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:53 AM, Justafan said:

But my sense is Titans fans develop a much deeper affection for marginal players than fans of many other teams.

Some players who’ve done well hit a wall, and a segment of the fan base doesn’t let go of what he’d been instead of what he’d become.

Did I? It all makes sense until you actually add context. Sounds a lot like CJ there to me.

Sounds a lot like pretty much every other player from the last 6 years. 

He reminds me of the Power Rangers (or any show of the like) If you sit there for 2 minutes and let them change and get their superhero powers (find the open receiver, wind up his throw for 5 seconds and release) then they will tear you apart. If you take them out at the beginning then they are basically useless.

SB Nation:

"As Garrett has been saying in his practice reports, the QB's not named Rivers are not that great. I saw lots of bad passes to open WRs and TEs today. I went to practice thinking that Kellen Clemens or Zach Mettenberger would be starting to look like the clear backup, but it was actually UDFA Mike Bercovici who stood out among the backups. Yes...Mike Bercovici. He was the most accurate in both the QB drills and 11-on-11/7-on-7 periods. His footwork could still stand to be improved, but he was the best QB not wearing 17 today, even if he is the smallest one out there. "

• 4 weeks later...
On May 16, 2016 at 9:09 AM, big2033 said:

The passion for Zach Mettenberger being the future of this franchise was the peak of Forum stupidity. Everyone needs to remember this the next time they can't figure out why the team won't give the franchise to a sixth round QB who couldn't win a game as a starter.

Fool's fool gold.

The sys saves post when you don't post it.  Below is something I guess I decided nit to hit submit.

We need to remember, true.  But 2014, the dominos really fell in Mett's favor.  His preseason performance caught the attention of the entire league.  He made some throws that were elite.  And he also made a lot of good throws that made him look like God compared to Jake.  Then his start kept getting little miscues that you couldn't totally put on him. A wide open Hunter slips and falls down as a perfect ball floats past.  The OL completely fell apart.  We talked about his lack of touch on short to intermediate throws, but the team didn't have anybody.  Whiz was supposed to be some kind of QB guru and here was his pupil.  Protect him, build the defense and get the line healthy.  It never looked as promising as things look now.  But for where we were it looked like we might get lucky.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Fool's fool gold.

The sys saves post when you don't post it.  Below is something I guess I decided nit to hit submit.

We need to remember, true.  But 2014, the dominos really fell in Mett's favor.  His preseason performance caught the attention of the entire league.  He made some throws that were elite.  And he also made a lot of good throws that made him look like God compared to Jake.  Then his start kept getting little miscues that you couldn't totally put on him. A wide open Hunter slips and falls down as a perfect ball floats past.  The OL completely fell apart.  We talked about his lack of touch on short to intermediate throws, but the team didn't have anybody.  Whiz was supposed to be some kind of QB guru and here was his pupil.  Protect him, build the defense and get the line healthy.  It never looked as promising as things look now.  But for where we were it looked like we might get lucky.

In bold. That's really it. He was never very good. A backup at best. And it showed to anyone that looked past his arm.