Official DC search thread

MamlngEnvy

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they keep Bowen, my faith in Vrabel will be incredibly diminished.

All this talk about retaining Bowen and bringing in Crennel as a senior advisor is bullshit. If your DC is not good enough to do his job without a senior advisor then he's not qualified for the job to

Posted Images

Oh thank god. I was honestly worried this was going to drag out for ages before they decided maybe they did need a DC this offseason and only crap was left to pick from.

It still feels like if a few very select options don't pan out they may abandon the idea, but the D has some decent pieces to work with and the situation seems like an ideal spot for someone to make a splash as a DC. At this point just getting someone who has been around good defense and knows what it looks like would be a win.

Any concerns on the ranking of the defenses that he has coordinated?

2020: Steelers Asst/Secondary - Ranked 3rd

2019: Steelers Asst/Secondary - Ranked 6th

2018: Bengals DC - Ranked 30th

2017: Lions DC - Ranked 21st 

2016: Lions DC - Ranked 13th 

2015: Lions DC - Ranked 23rd

2014: Lions DC - Ranked 3rd

2013: Ravens Secondary - Ranked 12th

2012: Ravens Secondary - Ranked 12th 

2011: Ravens Secondary - Ranked 3rd

Two decent years in there for the Lions. They had some good pass rushers. The Bengals year very well could've been talent related.

Edited by titanskick8851

“Finally, Austin also believed in playing to the strength of their scheme. Forcing the offense do things they’re uncomfortable with or don’t want to do in order to win. If that’s how you lose as a defense, so be it.“

This sounds exactly like Pittsburgh, and the absolute polar opposite of New England. 

1 minute ago, Bulluck4dmvp said:

To be fair, it ain’t easy to find success in the loser cultures of Cincy and Detroit. I’d be ecstatic to hire him

True.  I thought they were passable/ok on defense in Detroit.  Compared to the shitshow now, where the Lions are awful on defense.

I'm just glad he knows there is a problem and is proactive and searching now instead of waiting another week while most of the good candidates have been snapped up. Also, nice to see him go outside the usual NE/HOU/tOSU branch of coaches.  To me, these are all positives and show some growth here.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

Anyway, schematically he is hard for me to pin down. He's run the Schwartz 4-3 apparently as well as Marvin Lewis's 4-3 in Cincinnati. He's an expert in 3 safety sets, that is one thing I've gleaned. I'm gonna keep researching and will post what I find out of note here. 

Vrabes has always talked about being multiple. 

30 minutes ago, tgo said:

“Finally, Austin also believed in playing to the strength of their scheme. Forcing the offense do things they’re uncomfortable with or don’t want to do in order to win. If that’s how you lose as a defense, so be it.“

This sounds exactly like Pittsburgh, and the absolute polar opposite of New England

You think Vrabel might be willing to adapt?

• Jonboy changed the title to Official DC search thread
  • Jonboy unpinned this topic