Davenport: Vrabel Unlikely to Hire a DC

Jonboy

57 minutes ago, kyle021 said:

I mentioned this the other day. It’s been said Bowen was learning from Pees but no one mentioned Vrabel learning from him. 

It also would give Smith full reigns of the offense since Vrabel will have his hands full and won’t be able to chime in on what he wants done offensively during the game 

Why do you expect any different?  Smith was Mularkey's understudy.  What you've seen is what you'll get from him. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure how I feel about this. 

To me this sounds like Vrabel giving Bowen a go at DC with Vrabel taking the blame if it goes south.  Maybe Vrabel has questions regarding Bowen being ready for the big position but wants to give him

Could simply be a way to hold on to his coordinator for an additional year.  This way, if Bowen does well he can be promoted to DC and is less likely to be hired away after 1 successful season.  

4 minutes ago, japan said:

To me this sounds like Vrabel giving Bowen a go a DC with Vrabel taking the blame if it goes south.  Maybe Vrabel has questions regarding Bowen being ready for the big position but wants to give him a try without the pressure.

Sounds like he’s following the Belichick/O’Brien approach. 

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Belichick has not formally had a DC at times FWIW.

As for the offense, the idea that the OC is going to have complete autonomy over it without any direction from the HC is laughably stupid.  

I wouldn't think any OC (who isn't also the head coach) has complete autonomy over what the offense does in relation to what the HC wants. I think people make too much of that and assume that Vrabel is just a difficult, arrogant block head no one can work with. Amazingly, the Titans made it within one half of a football game's reach from the Super Bowl with such a dictator.

18 minutes ago, japan said:

To me this sounds like Vrabel giving Bowen a go at DC with Vrabel taking the blame if it goes south.  Maybe Vrabel has questions regarding Bowen being ready for the big position but wants to give him a try without the pressure.

Impossible. That does not jive with the narrative that he's a control freak meathead at all. And we both know there's no other state of being for Vrabes other than that of a control freak meathead.

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I wouldn't think any OC (who isn't also the head coach) has complete autonomy over what the offense does in relation to what the HC wants. I think people make too much of that and assume that Vrabel is just a difficult, arrogant block head no one can work with. Amazingly, the Titans made it within one half of a football game's reach from the Super Bowl with such a dictator.

His meddling with the offense was a positive for me. I’d be more worried if he wasn’t heavily involved in the offense.

As for the defense I don’t feel too strongly one way or the other. I hope someone else is calling the plays though. Defensive play calls need to be able to focus on what the other team is doing offensively. If Vrabel is thinking about the offense and calling plays defensively it just seems like too much.

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Yeah... Vrabel's gonna go down as the dumbest son of a bitch to ever win 4 Super Bowls in a row.

You know, we did learn one thing this season. @kyle021 isn't our jinx. 

Perhaps you are?

Edited by abenjami