We need to go ahead and lock in Derrick Henry long term

CottontownTitan22

Just now, Thrill said:

The tag for the rb is only 11 mil this year so that’s a pretty fair price for another year of peak Henry.

Yea that's why I thought he'd be a potential tag candidate, assuming he plays well. Still early 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's a freak and their best player on offense IMO and the offense revolves around him.  I also think he has significantly improved his pass blocking and he can catch the ball too.  Add in the lack of

Based on week 1, Henry, Ryan and Conklin all get new deals.

I agree and that sounds about right to me.    Henry is only 25 years old.  A 3-4 year extension still is before he turns 30 and if structured right should allow for the team to cut bait afte

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The season will tell the tell but if he keeps doing what he just did they'll have to try and keep him. He would be a real franchise tag candidate 

He'd be an MVP candidate.

Sign Henry, sign Conklin, bye Felicia!

I think I'm with @tgo on this.

Normally, I'd say "absolutely not" to the RB re-signing, but it's looking more and more like we aren't signing a 25M+ QB contract, and we may very well be drafting a new QB soon. That means we will need some draft firepower to get a long-term QB, so there won't be the luxury of a high pick on another RB. And whoever takes the helm at QB will need support (a dangerous running game to keep us competitive during the transition). By the time a young QB will be looking for a 2nd contract, Henry will be gone, so the money will be there. 

Of course, If Mariota shows he's the franchise QB here and he can win with Henry on the sideline, then no way you pay for Henry. But currently, the offense relies on Henry's big play potential and his ability to scare defenses in the 2nd half. Henry creates not just 1st downs, but TDs; if he can continue that, he deserves to be re-signed.

20 hours ago, tgo said:

I think Henry is a threat to go all the way each time he gets the ball.

Since 2017 Henry has had 6 occassions where he gained 54 yards or more either rushing/receiving including 4 plays that were 70 yards or longer and 5 that were 60 or longer. He also holds the NFL's all time longest run from scrimmage 99 yards.

Whats more impressive is all these 60 plus yard gains have been from the last 2 years in '17 and 18

He is not a dime a dozen or run of the mill type back, he is a game changer.

The first year of a 2nd contract is always the cheapest on the cap because the signing bonus is pro-rated.  If MM isn't kept, the Titans can easily fit Henry, Ryan, Conklin and a 1 year deal for Tannehill under the cap in 2020.  Then in 2021, RT's contract is gone and the Titans are operating under a rookie QB deal.

17 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

I think Henry is a threat to go all the way each time he gets the ball.

Since 2017 Henry has had 6 occassions where he gained 54 yards or more either rushing/receiving including 4 plays that were 70 yards or longer and 5 that were 60 or longer. He also holds the NFL's all time longest run from scrimmage 99 yards.

Whats more impressive is all these 60 plus yard gains have been from the last 2 years in '17 and 18

He is not a dime a dozen or run of the mill type back, he is a game changer.

He absolutely is a home run threat every time. On the Mike Vrabel show this week when talking about the henry screen, Vrabel said “Henry has proven he can go 99 yards so the blockers know to not assume he was tackled and they need to out block the ball carrier and never look back towards the LOS” that’s why on almost every big play you see guys right there with Henry blocking all the way to the EZ.