CottontownTitan22

We need to go ahead and lock in Derrick Henry long term

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Teams replace good RBs all the time. Overpaying for Henry would be a bad mistake.

I agree that overpaying Henry would be a mistake but I really don't see any other RB out there that we can bring in and will both replace Henry's impact and be inexpensive. For a long time I thought that there was no way Henry would be a Titan in 2020 but with J-Rob not even trying to bring in an heir apparent at the RB position, it seems as though he plans on extending him. The question then becomes can we come up with a deal that is good enough for Henry to sign but doesn't break the bank? What would be an acceptable deal in your eyes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BudAdams said:

He's a freak and their best player on offense IMO and the offense revolves around him.  I also think he has significantly improved his pass blocking and he can catch the ball too.  Add in the lack of tread on his tires and I'd talk an extension.  I'd feel differently if they had a viable alternative but they do not. 

And that's really the key. We don't look like a team that is preparing for life after their starting RB. I mean sure we can draft a guy and maybe sign someone in FA but neither avenue ensures that you acquire a comparable replacement to what you just lost and the running game not being there would be devastating to a team like ours that seems to be entering it's window. Dion Lewis flaming out has really put us in a bind because ideally we could've cut Henry loose, brought in a cheap bruiser and just rode Lewis until we hit on a draft pick with feature potential. Now it seems we're kind of stuck between possibly overpaying Henry and losing the engine of our current offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Teams replace good RBs all the time. Overpaying for Henry would be a bad mistake.

 

Yeah, they replace ‘em. Just not always successfully.

 

Here are the highest paid RBs this year:

 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/03/11/highest-paid-running-backs-ranking-nfl-rbs-salary-2019-season/3132344002/

 

I was thinking in the $8-9M per range for Henry ahead of time. $7M is probably the floor tbh.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

And that's really the key. We don't look like a team that is preparing for life after their starting RB. I mean sure we can draft a guy and maybe sign someone in FA but neither avenue ensures that you acquire a comparable replacement to what you just lost and the running game not being there would be devastating to a team like ours that seems to be entering it's window. Dion Lewis flaming out has really put us in a bind because ideally we could've cut Henry loose, brought in a cheap bruiser and just rode Lewis until we hit on a draft pick with feature potential. Now it seems we're kind of stuck between possibly overpaying Henry and losing the engine of our current offense. 

If the plan was to replace, they should have been drafting backs like Belichick has done the last two years with Michel and Harris. 

 

Lewis to me was a complementary back that JRob overpaid for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 is reportedly a strong draft class for RBs.  The question to me is whether Henry's skill set is so unique  and necessary to the Titans future game planning that he requires an extension?  It's easy to replace a RB, but not so easy to replace Henry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

If the plan was to replace, they should have been drafting backs like Belichick has done the last two years with Michel and Harris. 

 

Lewis to me was a complementary back that JRob overpaid for. 

I think with Lewis we were all fooled into thinking he had all-around back upside. He just looked like such a little beast up in NE but we all forgot how good Brady makes his RBs look. In the end though it will be viewed as you said, a one-dimensional guy we overpaid for. It's unfortunate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most RB are not worth paying big money and are easily replaced.

 

Key word is MOST, However a small handful are game changers and have game changing ability.

 

Good examples???  LaDanian Tomlinson/Chargers, Marshawn Lynch/Seahawks, Adrian Peterson/Vikes

 

I think Henry is trending in the game changing ability direction. He is a threat to go all the way each time he gets the ball.

 

Since 2017 Henry has had 6 occassions where he gained 54 yards or more either rushing/receiving including 4 plays that were 70 yards or longer. He also holds the NFL's all time longest run from scrimmage 99 yards.

 

I think he is worth paying and keeping.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

Henry is a freak athlete.  There are not too many guys his size that are as fast and athletic as he is.

 

This is why we need to keep him. He is a threat to go all the way each time he gets the ball. Since 2017 Henry has had 6 plays where he gained 54 yards or more including 4 plays that were 70 yards or longer including a 99 yard run the longest run in NFL history.  He is not just easily replaceable or a dime a dozen type back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MIKE75 said:

Most RB are not worth paying big money and are easily replaced.

 

Key word is MOST, However a small handful are game changers and have game changing ability.

 

Good examples???  LaDanian Tomlinson/Chargers, Marshawn Lynch/Seahawks, Adrian Peterson/Vikes

 

I think Henry is trending in the game changing ability direction. He is a threat to go all the way each time he gets the ball.

 

Since 2017 Henry has had 6 occassions where he gained 54 yards or more either rushing/receiving including 4 plays that were 70 yards or longer. He also holds the NFL's all time longest run from scrimmage 99 yards.

 

I think he is worth paying and keeping.....

My issue with Henry is that unlike all of those guys you listed Henry is dependent on his OL to the point that he becomes ineffective if they struggle. What happens if we pay Henry next year but lose Conk in FA and then Saffold suffers a major injury? Now we're stuck with an ineffective RB that we're paying big money to. With LaDanian Tomlinson, you knew he was going to be a difference maker no matter what happened. With Henry it's much more unclear.  I know you can't let risks scare you off from doing things but I definitely wouldn't ignore them either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry in some open space is an absolute monster. I still have my concerns about him not being elusive enough to break away and get positive yards in condensed areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.