Thoughts on offense

OILERMAN

I'm sure the coaching staff  has a base philosophy that will provide a foundation...but unlike the two previous regimes, this coaching staff didn't come in with  preconceived system or a playbook already in hand.  They reviewed the roster and assessed the talent at their disposal, and they're tailoring their playbook around the talent that's available.

Consider the Titans' personnel on offense:  the Titans have one of the league's better O-lines, one of the top TE corps, and a pair of talented and versatile running backs.  On the downside, Marcus is talented but struggles with consistency and the WR corps is young and unproven.

It seems to me the roster is tailor-made for a run-oriented offense with a lot of 2TE sets and liberal use of play-action passing.  I'm also anticipating the RB position will have a significant role in the passing game....far moreso than we've seen in recent years.

It's entirely possible that they'll look to open things up more over the next couple years as Marcus and the WR corps become more established...but at this point the roster really doesn't support it.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can only assume #11 must be HUGE...

Because if it's all the same then everyone who wanted a coaching change and everyone who criticized last year's offense were off their rockers. I mean, for fuck's sake... Robiskie and LaFleur are prac

We haven’t established that, doofus    you’re saying chocolate cake and whole wheat bread are the same because they both have eggs, milk, butter, and flour.    Don’t be retarded. 

Posted Images

Henry himself said he gained weight so he is heavier. However, he set out to cut fat and add muscle so while he's heavier he's also thiand more muscular. I hope that the new weight doesn't cut into his speed but this is a nice indication that he intends to be an even more physical runner this season. Hopefully most of the muscle went to those skinny ass legs lol.

19 hours ago, Huston said:

And a better one still from that same article.

Taylor Lewan read from the same script as Jones.

"I can't really put percentages on it, I was a general studies major in college," he said. "The technique is a lot different. I think there is a lot... of different things. I think when you run any offense, all the plays are always in there. We had all the plays in the last offense, the only difference is we are running more of other plays, we are running more of one play than we were another play."

The media can often overplay symbolism.

Most OC's don't install their entire offense immediately.  They also will use the old calls to help players not have to learn new verbiage for the same play.

17 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Most OC's don't install their entire offense immediately.  They also will use the old calls to help players not have to learn new verbiage for the same play.

Huh?

48 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Not when there is a whole new coaching staff

Pees and Vrabel have talked about using the verbiage from the old system for the exact same play in the new system, to be more player friendly. 

Not sure if they're doing any of that on offense though. Maybe not. Play-calls on offense work differently. 

Edited by tgo

4 hours ago, tgo said:

Pees and Vrabel have talked about using the verbiage from the old system for the exact same play in the new system, to be more player friendly. 

Not sure if they're doing any of that on offense though. Maybe not. Play-calls on offense work differently. 

LeFluer had an interview earlier on and they brought this question up.  He said that "Yes" his verbiage is quite different and he's using it, but if the consensus is the players are all use to the same different verbage then they (coaching) are the ones that will learn/use new verbiage.  

Blew my mind that we have a OC that #1) spoke intelligently and #2) was willing to admit he's the odd man out and it's easier for him to change/adjust.  

Novel concept to adapt coaching/plays/philosophy to your players instead of pounding square pegs into "your" round holes. (pounding holes was for you Woolf...)

2 minutes ago, Titan8425 said:

LeFluer had an interview earlier on and they brought this question up.  He said that "Yes" his verbiage is quite different and he's using it, but if the consensus is the players are all use to the same different verbage then they (coaching) are the ones that will learn/use new verbiage.  

Blew my mind that we have a OC that #1) spoke intelligently and #2) was willing to admit he's the odd man out and it's easier for him to change/adjust.  

Novel concept to adapt coaching/plays/philosophy to your players instead of pounding square pegs into "your" round holes. (pounding holes was for you Woolf...)

Not to harp on this but ... wouldn't being smart and adapting is doing this BEFORE training camp?

If the plays were the same they could've anticipated the issues with the play calls and made it simple from the get go.