The Kelly Offense & the Titans Offseason Moves

BudsOilers

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big uproar by media & fans has been the lack of adds at WR.  Some of that purely was the market in FA and the Draft but they clearly prioritized fixing the OL over this.  That said, I also thi

The last couple of offseasons since the Ravens playoff loss we have hoped to see a change but nothing did, so until I actually see it happen I'm going to be skeptical.

Vrabel wasn't the HC in Houston.

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Going to an EP/ New England offense really matches up well for how the offense is built this off season. 

Those New England offenses really feature a 2 down RB running out of heavy sets but in the passing game it's all about attacking the middle of the field between the hash marks. The last few SB winning teams NE had Edleman was featured and he did most of his damage from the slot. 

NEs outside WRs the last two SB winning seasons were: Dorsett and Sanu in 2018 and in 2016 it was Chris Hogan and Josh Gordon. Edlmen also played outside but was used in the slot mostly. They didn't put resources in the WRs outside the slot guys. 

The NE offense featured the TE and the pass catching RB. Gronk and Bennett.... James White was in the top 2 in targets in this offense most years. 

Henry=Blount

Philips = Edleman

Chig/Whylie = Gronk/Bennett

I'd also add that NE ran a lot of screens on 3rd downs threw to the slot receiver and White out of the back field to protect the QB. They rarely asked Brady to drop straight back on passing downs and it really helped the OL. 

Looking back at what they did this offense it's pretty easy to see this was their plan

I was going to post something similar to this but held back.  It frames the off-season in a way that makes far more sense.  I guess we just all assumed based on Vrabel's comments that the offense would stay basically the same but a significant change to the offense immediately means the slot WR and pass catching RBs became bigger priorities and they didn't necessarily need to go out and get another X.  

If it works, it could really help.  It could also mean that things are a little rougher than expected to start out the season.  

• 1 month later...

Seems I'm not the only one thinking Philips is the #2 WR as the roster stands right now.....

https://titansized.com/posts/kyle-philips-key-player-tennessee-titans

This week he was asked on SportsTalk about the Tennessee Titans potentially signing DeAndre Hopkins, and he said something very interesting.

""Burks and Philips both had excellent offseasons, that's all you can say. Burks looks like a number one receiver and I think he has a chance to be a dominant player at that position. The question about Philips is just can he stay healthy? He can play, nobody can really cover him, he is open all the time...We are excited about him- I think the DeAndre Hopkins thing is more important to Philips than it is to Burks based on the fact that it would cut the number of snaps that Philips is probably on the field if the Titans do sign DeAndre Hopkins and that would help his chances of staying healthy. Then he could concentrate on punt returns and playing in the slot, then he would not be the second receiver he would be the third receiver.""

Everyone knows this is Tannehill's last season, eos.  I have already said, Tannehill saved our bacon.  We were headed over the cliff with MM fast.  I used to post Titans 2 SB, MM 1 SB MVP.  I could see the talent and every once in a blue moon he would play sufficient enough to show it off.

All that talent was here, thanks in large part to JRob.  He also brought in Vrabel.  JRob stole Tannehill, then collected the reward for turning himself in.  The team caught fire.  It was the best offense we have seen since the Titans played in Nashville.  Week after week, the Titans(?) were lighting up the scoreboard.  The Titans(s) were getting primetime games!  How they were doing it wrong wasn't even a discussion here.  

Now, everybody and his mammy knows how they need to play.  They know what's wrong.  

Jurrell Casey.  Played nine great years for the Titans.  Team leader.  Gone.  Titans fans didn't hate Casey, he's a huge part of what held them together until Tannehill came.  Casey can tell you something about age.  He was in 68 plays @Ravens playoff game.  He played three games for Denver, 168 plays the entire season.  

No sense beating up Tannehill.  No sense beating up JRob.  A new day is coming.  Here's hoping we run better!  Vince and Jake have offered.  Mariota said he would break his contract to come back.

The GM Ran.

6 hours ago, Number9 said:

Everyone knows this is Tannehill's last season, eos.  I have already said, Tannehill saved our bacon.  We were headed over the cliff with MM fast.  I used to post Titans 2 SB, MM 1 SB MVP.  I could see the talent and every once in a blue moon he would play sufficient enough to show it off.

All that talent was here, thanks in large part to JRob.  He also brought in Vrabel.  JRob stole Tannehill, then collected the reward for turning himself in.  The team caught fire.  It was the best offense we have seen since the Titans played in Nashville.  Week after week, the Titans(?) were lighting up the scoreboard.  The Titans(s) were getting primetime games!  How they were doing it wrong wasn't even a discussion here.  

Now, everybody and his mammy knows how they need to play.  They know what's wrong.  

Jurrell Casey.  Played nine great years for the Titans.  Team leader.  Gone.  Titans fans didn't hate Casey, he's a huge part of what held them together until Tannehill came.  Casey can tell you something about age.  He was in 68 plays @Ravens playoff game.  He played three games for Denver, 168 plays the entire season.  

No sense beating up Tannehill.  No sense beating up JRob.  A new day is coming.  Here's hoping we run better!  Vince and Jake have offered.  Mariota said he would break his contract to come back.

The GM Ran.

90% of your posts, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.  

They often sound like the ramblings of a base-level Titans fan with Alzheimer's.

I DO abosolutely believe that RT takes to this EP playcalling version of this offense. I do think he's smart and great with presnap recognition to audible to different pass concepts and I think it will be great to simplify that for our young recievers.

If we go more spread and put more on him early, do we get the Miami yuck of a QB?

Do we get a QB that takes early advantages of new offensive philosophy and the lack of tape with this team running it? A guy that carries it on throughout the season to keep Defenses on tilt? .. or do defensese catch up and he has no answer?

On 7/13/2023 at 2:50 PM, Mythos27 said:

Half the board will be confused about why Allgeier saw so many stacked boxes. 

It seems like Arthur Smith has really doubled down on running the ball. Obviously his QB’s are bad but I have a feeling that even if he had an elite QB he would still run it a lot.

I think alot of coaches try to build brands for themselves. Not saying Smith is doing this but he got the rep with Henry here as a big running game guy & it seems like he’s trying to live up to that.