2023 WR draft analysis

Jmac959

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's weird watching all the people who said Phillips was just too small last year and blame his size for his injuries suddenly be OK with taking even smaller guys much earlier in the draft.

If Carthon is desperate to trade for a WR he should be looking at the Broncos guys Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton, both are in the "younger" age profile the Titans have been looking for this offseas

This is the kind of deep speed we need    

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, ctm said:

Maybe it's a multi year approach and they are willing to live with the growing pains of the rookie WRs rather than waste money on a bunch of bums.  It's also likely that some vets get released after the draft.

There also could be in-draft trades - i.e. day 3 stuff.

13 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

It's the size/strength/speed aspect. Here's an example of a guy I like with good tape; Jordan Addison. The guy measured in at 5'11" 173 and only ran 4.49. You can count the amount of successful receivers at that size/speed combo on one hand. As good as his good tape is you're still forced to gamble on the fact that he'll be an outlier and be able to handle the jump in talent he'll see in the pros. To provide further context, Devonta Smith had WAY better tape at a much higher level of competition and people were freaking out about his size; he was an inch taller a few pounds heavier and much faster on tape. In the end we'll see how good/bad the class is a couple of years down the road but right now, you have to bet on a physical outlier just to find out. 

Haskins was a guy who was easy to love everything about except for his athleticism.  But with the jump in competition, he looks like my grandma running out there. 

Likewise, for all of the good traits that the receivers in this year's class possess, they will be indistinguishable from replacement-level players if they lack an athletic advantage.

Edited by TerryBoats

16 minutes ago, TerryBoats said:

Haskins was a guy who was easy to love everything about except for his athleticism.  But with the jump in competition, he looks like my grandma running out there. 

Likewise, for all of the good traits that the receivers in this year's class possess, they will be indistinguishable from replacement-level players if they lack an athletic advantage.

You guys are way too harsh on Haskins. He was a good returner, blocker, and showed good hands out of the backfield. He played behind a great line that allowed him to be a one cut runner in college. His carries last year were behind a terrible line. 

He isn't a dynamic player, but he's a guy that is solid across the board and will be on the roster through his rookie contract. 

3 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You guys are way too harsh on Haskins. He was a good returner, blocker, and showed good hands out of the backfield. He played behind a great line that allowed him to be a one cut runner in college. His carries last year were behind a terrible line. 

He isn't a dynamic player, but he's a guy that is solid across the board and will be on the roster through his rookie contract. 

@VaTitanthis is what you keep trying to do for Malik but with evidence to produce something resembling hope attached 

9 hours ago, TerryBoats said:

Yup happens all the time. There are however some guys who for reasons I can't explain manage to dominate just as hard in the pros as they did in college despite falling below athletic thresholds. Those guy are outliers though and I'd rather miss out on 1 outlier than to miss 10 times betting on one. 

On 3/24/2023 at 10:06 AM, Mythos27 said:

It's the size/strength/speed aspect. Here's an example of a guy I like with good tape; Jordan Addison. The guy measured in at 5'11" 173 and only ran 4.49. You can count the amount of successful receivers at that size/speed combo on one hand. As good as his good tape is you're still forced to gamble on the fact that he'll be an outlier and be able to handle the jump in talent he'll see in the pros. To provide further context, Devonta Smith had WAY better tape at a much higher level of competition and people were freaking out about his size; he was an inch taller a few pounds heavier and much faster on tape. In the end we'll see how good/bad the class is a couple of years down the road but right now, you have to bet on a physical outlier just to find out. 

This is a fair assessment. As a prospect, he is below others he is compared to. I still like his tape and think he will be pretty good. He won’t be a burner, but if he can get separation consistently, im okay with that. 

15 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I think we're going to add another runningback this offseason but I don't think that displaces Haskins.. its more likely we just carry 4 RBs on the roster. Haskins has been positively singled out by Vrabel as being a big special teams performer, and he does provide pass protection ability. He's got a spot on this roster. Was he overdrafted? Perhaps, but outside of actually providing a real addition as a rushing threat he does do a lot of good things. 

3 hours ago, FireInTheHole said:

This is a fair assessment. As a prospect, he is below others he is compared to. I still like his tape and think he will be pretty good. He won’t be a burner, but if he can get separation consistently, im okay with that. 

His strength has always been taking everything that was blocked for him and not playing the hero trying to bounce things for the big play; and was good after contact beyond the line of scrimmage. The run blocking wasn't great this past year so he often had little to work with; when he did he got positive yardage.

43 minutes ago, TerryBoats said:

Running 3 TE sets with Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington, and Okonkwo excites me more than any other combination of players which could be added via the draft.

Im honestly starting to think Chig may be the best option for WR2 targets. Move him all around and be creative. Let Burks man the outside and Philips the traditional slot. Getting someone that can be a legit passing threat from the in-line spot seems like it may be something.

1 hour ago, TerryBoats said:

Running 3 TE sets with Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington, and Okonkwo excites me more than any other combination of players which could be added via the draft.

Nice though but probably very hard to pull off.