Bowen officially named DC

ChesterCopperpot1

8 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Not without an extension he isn't.  A bad year certainly would raise questions about his GM ability to maintain a consistent winning team.  You know, without top 5 draft picks, 50 M in cap space, and not having to worry about re-signing your own players......

There are aspects of it that you can point out now: he's been pretty suspect (being generous here) w/drafting first round picks.  His record in signing defensive FA's are pretty dismal.  For a guy who focuses on ST, that unit has been awful the past 2 years.

The Reese comparison is interesting.  I find some parrallels but I'll wait and see how it plays out particularly in the next two years.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is there a more undeserving DC in the NFL? Look up Bowen's resume. He's a hanger on. Fuck Vrabel and his ego. It will be his downfall.

There is a huge difference from having a list of qualified people you have worked with and would work with again and going full on entourage like Vrabel has with Bowen. Bowen hasn't gotten anything do

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Not without an extension he isn't.  A bad year certainly would raise questions about his GM ability to maintain a consistent winning team.  You know, without top 5 draft picks, 50 M in cap space, and not having to worry about re-signing your own players......

You can go back a few years and find numerous poster pointing out that JRob's biggest task lay ahead with fewer and lower draft picks with less cap space.  Now we are there.

He made a great move for Tannehill but 2020 had huge blunders in both the draft and free agency.  Things can go south in the NFL very quickly.

58 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

If it ever came to a choice for AAS between JRob and Vrabel there is only 1 guy that is winning that battle and its JRob, he brought the team out of a long period of dysfunction and while like every GM he has his share of blunders he has stabilized this franchise.

Its also important to point out that JRob is the 2nd highest ranking executive in the franchise hierarchy outside of the board of directors, there are not that many GM's in NFL that hold the Executive Vice President Title as well as the GM Title.

JRob despite an extremely ordinary 2020 offseason isn't in the realms of being on the hot seat right now.

Rick Smith was the god father of Cal McNair's son and got broomed to the door by another NE Patriot tree, arrogant bastard. Never underestimate these guys. 

I am sure AAS is looking at this entire thing for what it is.  MV is 2-2 in playoff games.  He won the division for the first time in over 10 years.  While there are some parallels with Mike Mularkey and MV (coaching choices) - JRob and MV are safe.  It will take a colossal meltdown for them to get in the hotseat in 2021.   

When Tannehill's skills erode and JRob isn't able to get an adequate replacement the seat will start getting warm.  But by then, Brady might be ready to bail his buddy Vrabel out and come to TN.

4 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The one thing that gives me hope is tgo saying a while back Vrabel sticks with a pretty strict system of giving his coaches 2 years. That’s about it though. The Bowen promotion simply isn’t justifiable. 

What is the whole 2 season thing? I don’t get it. Vrabel just finished year 3.

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

No idea. I just remember @tgo saying that was how Vrabel handled coaches. He always gives them 2 years and expects two years. At least it was something like that. 

I think it was something like Vrabel likes to give his coaches two years in the spot.  So this would be Bowen's second year as DC.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

What is the whole 2 season thing? I don’t get it. Vrabel just finished year 3.

Vrabel at one point noted that he believes in giving coaches two years and expects two years in return (this is a well known Urban Meyer philosophy that he has adopted). 

I dont think it means like 2 year increments necessarily, but more like *at least* 2 years on the job. 

55 minutes ago, tgo said:

I dont think it means like 2 year increments necessarily, but more like *at least* 2 years on the job. 

I’m not a fan! 

You called this way back. We talked about it then when Pees left how Bowen was a holdover from Texas who sat in the DC box every game and was being groomed. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

When Robinson took over this team was the bottom of the barrel. They are now one of the most talented teams in the league coming off an AFC title game followed by a division title at 11-5. John Robinson is getting extended soon without question. 

Despite the real problems with Vrabel's coaching philosophy he's got massive job security. If he got fired he'd get hired right away. He can do whatever he wants and he knows it. He likely has one of the worst personalities to have that kind of security. I'd guess it would be very hard to imagine him not getting extended as well. 

A lot of it is just fan perception. Go back a few seasons ago when the mob wanted Mularkey ran out of town. Look at the complaints. The Titans run too much, Mularkey is giving the RB too many carries. Too conservative. Idiot fans wanted scrub Marcus Mariota spreading it out, throwing more and calling his own plays. Vrabel has one of the most talented offenses in the league with a QB 100 times better and runs it more and wastes the offense way more. You see the complaints from those fans/posters? Vrabel was literally "waiting for it to pop" vs the Ravens! I don't see any jokes

The truth is AAS isn't going to fire Vrabel over the legit problems Vrabel has. It's a fan business and the Titans are a better product. Robinson would also be hard pressed to go tell her they need to fire Vrabel for the same reasons he said Mularkey should be fired, especially considering he picked Vrabel. 

Having said that these guys are smart and want to win. I believe they'll do everything they can to improve the problems. I'm willing to let them do what they want and see how it unfolds. 

Even though I hate the Bowen promotion, I 100% agree with your post. Vrabel may be arrogant, but so far he has gotten results and the team is improved. On top of that, he and Robinson clearly want to win and there is no ulterior motive in promoting Bowen. I’ll be anxious to see what some improved personnel and a sole coordinating focus from Bowen does to the game plan.