Titans Receivers...It Ain’t Good

GLinks

I noticed yesterday the receiver, including TEs, with the most catches, is Adam Humphries with 25.

Did you know that?! I know you can probably sense it, but going unnoticed because of the lack of splash and how spread out the ball has been, is Humphries leading everyone in catches. 

The problem is this means at this pace, no one ends the season with more than 50 catches.

Davis and Brown are on pace for 44 and 40 respectively. Walker still has more catches than Jonnu Smith.

I hope the passing game takes off and the Ws keep coming, but with some rare exceptions, it has been deeply smothered. I’m going to have patience because it can’t get much worse from a yardage perspective, and we can see the OL is having issues stabilizing.

But I thought I’d bring it up as an area of concern. The efficiency and distribution are positives, especially under Tannehill, but not sure if we can pick up the pace ahead of the mean.

It's something I've noticed early in the season that the WR's weren't consistently getting separation.  Even with a QB change, something seems off.  I'm sure a lot is due to scheme and maybe predictability of routes.  RT had the highest tight window throws last week and you definitely seen him hold onto the ball longer.  This was against one of the worst pass defenses, it's not time to panic but whatever the issue is needs to be address.

Teams have covered our receiving group tight do to it being highly effective due to Mariota being unable to throw or even attempt to against it in turn being satisfied with just eating a sack.

Tannehill will have to continue completing  passes against tight coverage as he has and making teams pay, all it takes is defenders to slip, faulter on a takle, or try to get over aggressive and these completions are going to result into big plays coupled with big penalties.

The above is already beginning to happen, and if they would switch gears into a throw first offense it will begin to force teams to back off the coverage in an attempt to keep the play in front of them which in turn will pull defenders out of the box which will help in both pass blocking and run blocking.

This shit ain't rocket surgery nor is it brain science.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:14 AM, Smokes said:

Teams have covered our receiving group tight do to it being highly effective due to Mariota being unable to throw or even attempt to against it in turn being satisfied with just eating a sack.

Tannehill will have to continue completing  passes against tight coverage as he has and making teams pay, all it takes is defenders to slip, faulter on a takle, or try to get over aggressive and these completions are going to result into big plays coupled with big penalties.

The above is already beginning to happen, and if they would switch gears into a throw first offense it will begin to force teams to back off the coverage in an attempt to keep the play in front of them which in turn will pull defenders out of the box which will help in both pass blocking and run blocking.

This shit ain't rocket surgery nor is it brain science.

RT only completed 4 passes to wr against the worst pass d in the league. 

It’s a gameplan issue. It falls squarely on vrabel. Vrabel is the kind of asshole that thinks because he’s the loudest guy in the room that he’s the smartest. Thank god pees is here a guy vrabel respects and looks up to.. otherwise our defense would probably be bottom tier like he did to the Texans talented but injured D 

12 minutes ago, titanruss said:

It’s a gameplan issue. It falls squarely on vrabel. Vrabel is the kind of asshole that thinks because he’s the loudest guy in the room that he’s the smartest. Thank god pees is here a guy vrabel respects and looks up to.. otherwise our defense would probably be bottom tier like he did to the Texans talented but injured D 

If you are right, then he will be in big trouble by this time next year.

Its time to call a spade a spade.....Corey Davis needs to step up already. The narrative that this guy was sole superstar being held back by Marcus is starting to look iffy. 2  catches on 6 targets for 9 yards against the Bucs. 

There could be something to the scheme though. There’s a good chance Art Smith is awful. But I think we need to give it a few more games with Tannehill before we know what the deal was. The WR’s made some plays against LAC & because of the great field

position this week the yardage was never going to be high, when you have 3 scoring drives totaling 40 yards.

But the WR’s definitely seemed to gain more separation last year. There was apparently a bunch of plays last week where it was obvious Tampa knew what we were dloing. Frankly I’d be totally fine canning Art right now & seeing how Todd Downing does. He didn’t work in Oakland but JDR did think the world of him. He replaced Bill Musgrave with Downing and it wasn’t because he was down on Musgrave, he just thought Downing was very bright. He was Carr’s QB coach to. 

47 minutes ago, ctm said:

If you are right, then he will be in big trouble by this time next year.

i hope i'm wrong. but this coach looks a lot like the guy we saw before the season started last year when everyone was freaking out. 

7 minutes ago, titanruss said:

i hope i'm wrong. but this coach looks a lot like the guy we saw before the season started last year when everyone was freaking out. 

LaFleur improved a lot though. The offense looked so much better from the Charger game on. Especially the OL. But the OL is still having troubles & the WR’s still aren’t getting very open.

10 minutes ago, Face said:

LaFleur improved a lot though. The offense looked so much better from the Charger game on. Especially the OL. But the OL is still having troubles & the WR’s still aren’t getting very open.

i wonder if theres not something to be said for lewan having to go off the roids? 

i've had problems with the route concepts all year. they were definitely better last year. this looks like robiskie routes.