Former GM Floyd Reese And What Could've Been

MIKE75

Floyd Reese was asked about the 2006 draft on his radio show. Of course we are talking about the draft where we took VY because the owner Bud Adams himself pretty much demanded that be the pick. Not sure if he wanted VY because he thought he would be good or just did it because he wanted to rub it in the Texans faces.

Either way what bothers me is when ownership crosses the line and gets involved in draft decisions it is never good be it Al Davis/Raiders,Dan Snyder/Redskins,Haslam/Browns,etc,etc. Anyway of course everybody had different opinions on what QB they wanted from within the team but the thing has always bothered me is what might've happened had Reese been allowed to do his job without Bud Adams interfering or Fisher eventually taking over.

Floyd has said he would've traded back and took Cutler in 2006 we all know ownership wanted VY at all costs. It is also known that Reese was going to take Devin Hester but Fisher/Chow wanted Lendale White. This to me was the very beginning of all the mistakes that would domino and eventually doom the team. We all know what happened with VY BUT what if the team was run like it was supposed to and Reese does the picking and we get Cutler AND later Hester too.

You can say what you like about Cutler but overall he has done better than VY and Leinart. Cutler first year he throws 9TD/5INT,completes 59% of passes and a 88.5 QB rating. In 2007 he completes 63% of passes,3,500 yards,20TD/14INT and 88.1 QB rating. Not going to go year by year but Cutler would've been a decent pocket passer and might've been happy to play in Nashville. Also imagine having Devin Hester to return kicks...

I think in 2008 having Cutler at QB,CJ at RB and Hester returning kicks i think the team could've won it all that year. Of course we wouldn't have had White's fat ass fumbling near the goal line either. Maybe Cutler would've lasted with Fisher here and who knows with not needing a QB in 2011 the team never drafts Locker and Fisher drafts Watt possibly. I honestly do think the VY bullshit got to Fisher to where eventually he just wasn't happy coaching the team anymore and eventually left. Maybe Fisher never leaves with Cutler here.

Of course also Bud Adams putting his two cents in at the worst possible time and taking VY's side on matters got tiring as well. I honestly do think instead of the stuff we've had go on here the last ten years things might've been much different if there weren't any power plays and everyone kept their nose in the right place meaning Bud focuses on ownership,Reese on managing and Fisher on coaching. It all starts at the top and the examples i gave earlier like Oakland,Washington,Cleveland and unfortunately Tennessee are examples of how things get of course. 

Anyone else think things might've been much different had Bud Adams not demanded VY,Fisher never pulls any power moves and Reese drafts Cutler?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Fisher had one of the most impressive performances of his career in that loss to the Ravens.   The Titans had game planned the Ravens perfectly and pretty much controlled the game on both si

2000 good times, we went to the game. we were on our way back to my uncle's house when we stopped for gas after the game. My uncle comes out of the gas station looking all somber. I asked what was goi

The delay of game was so blatant. It was like 2 seconds after it had hit 0 that Flacco snapped the ball

I always think of VY's last year in TN when he began to play very well. The division was ours for the taking, Young was playing well, defense was pretty decent. Egos effed everything up. Could we have beaten the Packers in the big game, probably not, but still would've been nice to get back to the playoffs...

If it wasn't VY, it was going to be Leinart. Fisher wanted Leinart, Chow wanted Leinart, and I bet Reese actually wanted Leinart he's just saying that now to save face

Uh, no.  Fisher wanted Cutler and even recommended him to Shanahan of the Broncos.  I believe Reese when he said he wanted Cutler too.  The only one in the organization who really wanted Leinart was Chow.

We would've been screwed no matter who we took at QB that year. Two were horrible. The other is a perpetual underachiever.

I actually think Fisher and Dinger would have done fine with developing Cutler.  I'm pretty sure they had zero chance of winning with Leinart and his crappy arm though.

Uh, no.  Fisher wanted Cutler and even recommended him to Shanahan of the Broncos.  I believe Reese when he said he wanted Cutler too.  The only one in the organization who really wanted Leinart was Chow.

Leinart said Fisher told him he wanted him because he was an SC guy too

Leinart said Fisher told him he wanted him because he was an SC guy too

Jeff Fisher says a lot of things.  Usually, when his lips are moving I usually tend not to believe him.  It's most likely that Fisher was lying as coaches do at that time of year.

Fisher has proven over and over again that he has no clue how to evaluate talent, especially when it comes to QB.  How anyone would recommend anything except the exact opposite of what Fisher thinks, is beyond me.

I honestly think if Bud had left everything alone and Fisher would've stuck with coaching unconcerned with gaining power then Reese would've more than likely had this club set up nicely for one more big run after drafting Cutler,Hester,CJ and having a powerful defense with KVB and Haynesworth....Think so?  I do. I think Cutler was way better than VY and Collins especially early in his career. Very good chance Fisher could still be here. If all these guys could've worked together like they did from 1999-2003 i honestly do think with Cutler,Hester,CJ,KVB,Haynesworth we would've made another big run from 2006-2010. Maybe they have to pay Cutler good QB money in 2011 but still could've fielded playoff teams.

Everything imploded in 2010 VY knew he was moving on,Fisher sick of Bud meddling in football matters and taking sides with VY was ready to quit. None of this crap would've happened had A-Bud kept his nose out of the draft room B-Reese let Fisher know he was GM and to stick with coaching. Had all those guys not got power crazy and let egos get in the way this team would be right up there talked about with Indy,Green Bay and New England and i think everything would've been cool moving from McNair to Cutler. Instead we got headcase VY and after he left they still could've salvaged the team and did their homework before selecting Locker. The Locker selection pretty much was the bullet that killed this team when it was still standing. Had they just stuck with a vet like Hasselbeck who led us to 9-7 in 2011 and held off on drafting a QB everything might've been different.

I love Floyd but this always bugged me about him. He was adoring all the adulation of picking VY in the bask of the '06 season, then as soon as VY imploded he started putting hints out there that he was forced on him. Now he just says it. He's right though, having LenDale forced on him in the 2nd rd was terrible. I'm a Fish guy but he flat out screwed up here. The pick shouldn't have been Hester either though, it should've been MJD, Andrew Whitworth, or Greg Jennings. Easy for me to say though. MJD wound up being what Reggie Bush was supposed to be.

BTW, for everyone saying Cutler was a career underachiever anyway, this is true. However, he was very good his first 3 years & we were absolutely STACKED those years. It really is a shame that we couldn't win a singleplayoff  game from '06-'10, we had so much talent.