Former GM Floyd Reese And What Could've Been

MIKE75

Hass started all the games but the fact they signed him allowed them to not freak out and make a bad pick like Locker.  They had the luxury of getting a QB in a later round to develop and could have manipulated the draft to get Kaep, Dalton or someone the next year.  Obviously anything but Locker was a better option unless they drafted Ponder or Gabbert.

that was the lockout year. Hass was signed after Locker was drafted.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Fisher had one of the most impressive performances of his career in that loss to the Ravens.   The Titans had game planned the Ravens perfectly and pretty much controlled the game on both si

2000 good times, we went to the game. we were on our way back to my uncle's house when we stopped for gas after the game. My uncle comes out of the gas station looking all somber. I asked what was goi

The delay of game was so blatant. It was like 2 seconds after it had hit 0 that Flacco snapped the ball

MH actually started all 16 games, Locker never started one game as a rookie

Against Atlanta he completed 9 of 19 or 47% completed,New Orleans completed 13 of 29 or 44%,Indy he completed 11 of 16 or 68%. You might be coorect he didn't start but he must've came in at a certain point during those games.

Against Atlanta he completed 9 of 19 or 47% completed,New Orleans completed 13 of 29 or 44%,Indy he completed 11 of 16 or 68%. You might be coorect he didn't start but he must've came in at a certain point during those games.

They were getting their asses kicked which is why Locker went into the game.

This is where stats can be misleading. Locker was actually very exciting in his limited time as a rookie, especially in the Saints game. He got the team back in the Falcons game when they were down 20-3 I believe & also went shot for shot with Brees. He made some very impressive downfield throws & ran aggressively. It looked like he had a real chance, he made a bunch of big plays. Unfortunately, however, everything was downhill after that.

This is where stats can be misleading. Locker was actually very exciting in his limited time as a rookie, especially in the Saints game. He got the team back in the Falcons game when they were down 20-3 I believe & also went shot for shot with Brees. He made some very impressive downfield throws & ran aggressively. It looked like he had a real chance, he made a bunch of big plays. Unfortunately, however, everything was downhill after that.

Funny, I have the same exact thoughts.  I looked back at the stats of those games and was shocked at how poor the stats were.  I guess at the time I had very low expectations and was surprised when he looked at times to be an NFL starting qb.

The Saints game was also the one where they had he ball inside the 10 yard line and had 4 downs to score a td and they failed. I'm pretty sure he missed a wide open WR on 3rd down or something like that?

Wasn't the ATL game the one where Munchak had a particularly bad challenge?

Slight subject change--If Fisher was still the coach in 2011 I think he would have signed Hasslebeck as well and drafted Dalton in round 2, while going with Quinn or Watt in Round 1.

Funny, I have the same exact thoughts.  I looked back at the stats of those games and was shocked at how poor the stats were.  I guess at the time I had very low expectations and was surprised when he looked at times to be an NFL starting qb.

The Saints game was also the one where they had he ball inside the 10 yard line and had 4 downs to score a td and they failed. I'm pretty sure he missed a wide open WR on 3rd down or something like that?

Slight subject change--If Fisher was still the coach in 2011 I think he would have signed Hasslebeck as well and drafted Dalton in round 2, while going with Quinn or Watt in Round 1.

His completion % was bad but his yards per throw was huge, he made some big time plays. Clutch plays. With about 20 seconds left he threw a laser to Nate down the middle for about 40 yards. Then he spiked, threw an incomplete & then took a sack. I forget which but on one of them he had an open guy he didn't see but you couldn't criticize him, he looked great for those 2 qtrs.

If Fisher stayed we probably would've went defense, most likely Fairley. I really don't think Watt would've been the pick. He was thought to be a 4-3 LE or 3 tech & we  had Morgan & Jason Jones. Sounds nuts but Watt was considered more of a lunch pail, blue collar type player at the time.

If we passed on Locker I'm convinced Kaepernick would've been the guy. I don't know if Fisher stayed but we were all over CK prior to the draft. He even said when we played SF in 2013 that we really liked him & he thought there was a good chance we'd pick him.

Fisher even if he had a couple down years like 2004/2005 he always bounced back which he proved in 2007 and 2008. Even though he trended down again in 2009/2010 the team had a winning record again in 2011 and i think Fisher in 2011 would've had a winning team again had he stayed. What i think would've happened is he would picked either Watt or Fairly in the first round and picked Dalton or Kaepernick like Face pointed out. The team was looking for another dual threat and with Fisher i think they pick Kapernick instead of Locker. With Kaepernick and CJ they would've had defenses on their heels. If by some chance Fisher did pick Watt we would've had one hell of a team. Also Gregg Williams was coming back too we would've had a devastating defense. I know Fisher has his detractors but something tells me Tennessee would've kept winning had he stayed. They might not have won a ring but i think starting in 2011 Fisher would've had things going in a good direction again AND winning.

His completion % was bad but his yards per throw was huge, he made some big time plays. Clutch plays. With about 20 seconds left he threw a laser to Nate down the middle for about 40 yards. Then he spiked, threw an incomplete & then took a sack. I forget which but on one of them he had an open guy he didn't see but you couldn't criticize him, he looked great for those 2 qtrs.

If Fisher stayed we probably would've went defense, most likely Fairley. I really don't think Watt would've been the pick. He was thought to be a 4-3 LE or 3 tech & we  had Morgan & Jason Jones. Sounds nuts but Watt was considered more of a lunch pail, blue collar type player at the time.

If we passed on Locker I'm convinced Kaepernick would've been the guy. I don't know if Fisher stayed but we were all over CK prior to the draft. He even said when we played SF in 2013 that we really liked him & he thought there was a good chance we'd pick him.

My theory is even though they were really looking at Kaepernick they had many issues with VY and of course were looking for the Anti-VY and maybe at the time Locker was the safer alternative. Sucks but VY and Fisher set in motion all kinds of negative things to happen after both ended up leaving.

??How do you keep the merging thing from happening with posts?  That could be confusing when they are merged and you got two seperate posts going with different posters.

With each new post the posts get merged into this one even when i start a new post:blink:

Edited by MIKE75

MH was so bad Locker looked better than his stats. He had zip on his passes and after watching MH throw wounded ducks it gave the optical illusion that Locker didn't suck.

- In 1995 Fisher began his first full season as Titans Head coach having inherited a 2-14 squad that had Billy Jo Tolliver and Bucky Richardson as the QB's. They drafted Steve McNair and signed Chris Chandler to a cheap contract to be their starter while Mac learned the NFL game. 

- Heretofore, Chandler was considered a good back up and fringe starter in the NFL .He was by everyone's definition a journeymen back up who would not be able to hold the job for very long and the outside hopes among fans,  pundits and media critics was Mac would be ready sooner rather than later since no one had any thoughts of Chandler being any sort of solution other than depth. 

- Fisher promptly turned Chandler into a viable NFL starting QB. Chandler would parlay his success in Houston into a large multi year deal with Atlanta where he would lead them to a Super Bowl. At no point in Chandlers tenure with the Oilers, and in spite of some very questionable receiving talent around him, did Chandler not look like a viable NFL starter under Fisher. 

- In 1999, after McNair had taken over the starting position, the Oilers signed Neil O'Donell. O'Donnell was probably considered the largest NFL FA bust of all time at this point after bombing out with the jets and looking like he could no longer help any team in the NFL. After a McNair injury the Oilers were forced to play Neil and Neil looked...like a  viable NFL starting QB. He had many Titan fans believing he was  a better solution than McNair. Fisher saved O'Donnell's career and made the league think of him as a quality player once again. 

And a nice little sidebar to this story is in spite of all the voices in the fan base and media calling for the benching of McNair and giving the job to the now respected again Neil O'Donnell...Fisher ignores it all and goes right back to the developing story known mostly around the league as "Dare McNair". 

- Then we have the case of Billy Volek. Who put up massive numbers in relief of Mac and made most observers think he was destined to become a starter in the NFL. Fisher knew Billy had benefited from the Titans system and coaching massively and had no qualms turfing his ass when Billy started big timing the Titans. Billy never did become that big time NFL starter and we never saw the glimpses we saw of him under Fisher. 

- Then you have Vince Young. Enough said. 

- Then you have Kerry Collins. When he was signed there may have been more negative reaction to any signing I have seen? Kerry Fucking Collins? He can;t help anybody! He wasn't even good when he wasn't washed up! Did you see how he played in Oakland? The interception machine named Kerry Collins? Serious?  How can we get rid of the great Bily Volek for this sack of shit who will never help us? 

Fisher turns him into a game managing maestro and rides him to the best season the Oilers have had in the post Mac era. 

I repeat, there is no one alive who manages the QB position better than Jeff Fisher. And I ask you, what is more important than managing the QB position? 

Honestly, I find it more frustrating than anything to post here anymore with these whacked out quote features. My post was in response to Iowa's dumbass question about why Fisher couldn't get the most out of other QB's besides Vince Young. 

Now my posts are being merged. :unsure:

Edited by CanadianTitansFan

- In 1995 Fisher began his first full season as Titans Head coach having inherited a 2-14 squad that had Billy Jo Tolliver and Bucky Richardson as the QB's. They drafted Steve McNair and signed Chris Chandler to a cheap contract to be their starter while Mac learned the NFL game. 

- Heretofore, Chandler was considered a good back up and fringe starter in the NFL .He was by everyone's definition a journeymen back up who would not be able to hold the job for very long and the outside hopes among fans,  pundits and media critics was Mac would be ready sooner rather than later since no one had any thoughts of Chandler being any sort of solution other than depth. 

- Fisher promptly turned Chandler into a viable NFL starting QB. Chandler would parlay his success in Houston into a large multi year deal with Atlanta where he would lead them to a Super Bowl. At no point in Chandlers tenure with the Oilers, and in spite of some very questionable receiving talent around him, did Chandler not look like a viable NFL starter under Fisher. 

- In 1999, after McNair had taken over the starting position, the Oilers signed Neil O'Donell. O'Donnell was probably considered the largest NFL FA bust of all time at this point after bombing out with the jets and looking like he could no longer help any team in the NFL. After a McNair injury the Oilers were forced to play Neil and Neil looked...like a  viable NFL starting QB. He had many Titan fans believing he was  a better solution than McNair. Fisher saved O'Donnell's career and made the league think of him as a quality player once again. 

And a nice little sidebar to this story is in spite of all the voices in the fan base and media calling for the benching of McNair and giving the job to the now respected again Neil O'Donnell...Fisher ignores it all and goes right back to the developing story known mostly around the league as "Dare McNair". 

- Then we have the case of Billy Volek. Who put up massive numbers in relief of Mac and made most observers think he was destined to become a starter in the NFL. Fisher knew Billy had benefited from the Titans system and coaching massively and had no qualms turfing his ass when Billy started big timing the Titans. Billy never did become that big time NFL starter and we never saw the glimpses we saw of him under Fisher. 

- Then you have Vince Young. Enough said. 

- Then you have Kerry Collins. When he was signed there may have been more negative reaction to any signing I have seen? Kerry Fucking Collins? He can;t help anybody! He wasn't even good when he wasn't washed up! Did you see how he played in Oakland? The interception machine named Kerry Collins? Serious?  How can we get rid of the great Bily Volek for this sack of shit who will never help us? 

Fisher turns him into a game managing maestro and rides him to the best season the Oilers have had in the post Mac era. 

I repeat, there is no one alive who manages the QB position better than Jeff Fisher. And I ask you, what is more important than managing the QB position? 

Honestly, I find it more frustrating than anything to post here anymore with these whacked out quote features. My post was in response to Iowa's dumbass question about why Fisher couldn't get the most out of other QB's besides Vince Young. 

Now my posts are being merged. :unsure:

CTF speaks the truth here.

Good post CTF

While Jeff Fisher wasn't a QB coach or "offensive guru" he did as good a job as anybody at putting young QB's in position to succeed. @CanadianTitansFan is spot on.

Also, he handled the KC/VY situation & NOD/McNair possible situation in '08 & '00 as good as you can.

Nope. MHZ was injured in both the NO and ATL games and Locker actually came close to leading a comeback in both

Remember how good he looked in the NO game? His completion % sucked but he looked like a big time playmaker. Those 2 seam passes to Nate were great throws.

Remember how good he looked in the NO game? His completion % sucked but he looked like a big time playmaker. Those 2 seam passes to Nate were great throws.

they would've so won that game too but Mariani dropped an easy slant in the end zone in the 2nd to last play of the game.