Former GM Floyd Reese And What Could've Been

MIKE75

they would've so won that game too but Mariani dropped an easy slant in the end zone in the 2nd to last play of the game.

I was as mad at Munch the next week when he started MH as I've ever been at a HC. I thought Locker was our guy after that game. I seriously enjoyed watching Jake play sandlot ball, when he ran around & threw it he could make some big plays.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Fisher had one of the most impressive performances of his career in that loss to the Ravens.   The Titans had game planned the Ravens perfectly and pretty much controlled the game on both si

2000 good times, we went to the game. we were on our way back to my uncle's house when we stopped for gas after the game. My uncle comes out of the gas station looking all somber. I asked what was goi

The delay of game was so blatant. It was like 2 seconds after it had hit 0 that Flacco snapped the ball

I was as mad at Munch the next week when he started MH as I've ever been at a HC. I thought Locker was our guy after that game. I seriously enjoyed watching Jake play sandlot ball, when he ran around & threw it he could make some big plays.

he was always really  really good in 2 minute offenses and hurry up. It's when he had to sit in the pocket and go through his progressions and anticipate throws that he struggled. A great schoolyard QB I guess you could describe it as

While Jeff Fisher wasn't a QB coach or "offensive guru" he did as good a job as anybody at putting young QB's in position to succeed. @CanadianTitansFan is spot on.

Also, he handled the KC/VY situation & NOD/McNair possible situation in '08 & '00 as good as you can.

By 'position to succeed,' I assume you mean 'offenses that run the ball 30+ times a game and have the same gameplan every week with no adjustments.'

It might put young QBs in a good position, but it puts the team around .500.

By 'position to succeed,' I assume you mean 'offenses that run the ball 30+ times a game and have the same gameplan every week with no adjustments.'

It might put young QBs in a good position, but it puts the team around .500.

This is just plain wrong. Jeff Fisher opened the offense up to the extent that his QB was capable. Putting a late 90's Steve McNair in a complex, aggressive passing scheme would've been a huge disaster. Fisher hired Heimerdinger, possibly the most aggressive OC at the time, and they gradually immersed McNair in the offense & opened it up more & more over about a 2 year time period.

Dont even get me started on VY. The job Fisher & Dinger did with him in '09 & '10 was nothing short of amazing.

The narrative that Jeff Fisher runs an archaic, overly conservative scheme is simply not true. Yes, he likes to run the ball & he's never going to want to throw it 700x a year. But when he has a capable QB he like to push the ball downfield, he wants to run it with power, then take PA shots down the field.

Its funny how Fisher got this "conservative" label in '97, when McNair took over. He didn't have it before, because with Chris Chandler the team was an aggressive, vertical passing offense. McNair simply wasn't ready to be that kind of QB at the time. Fisher brought him along & developed him at a perfect pace. It's very easy to overwhelm & lose a young, raw QB in his first years.

Steve McNair & the fans were lucky to have Jeff Fisher at that critical time. It's amazing to me that a good % of the fan base still doesn't realize this.

Edited by Face

Don't argue with Meathead about Fisher

He was one of the biggest Fisher fans on the board up until a few years ago

It's not just Iowa & his post there. I just think the whole "Fisher being too conservative" narrative is nonsense. He had 2 of the most raw QB's to come out in years, I don't know what people expected.

I was a big Fisher fan up until 2008.  

It is a fact that he runs a conservative offense, regardless of QB.  Just because that offense tends to favor young and raw QBs doesn't make him a genius.  

I just can't grasp how there are so many fans of a coach that has a 5-6 playoff record...and by 'so many,' I mean Face, CTF, and a total retard.  

I was a big Fisher fan up until 2008.  

It is a fact that he runs a conservative offense, regardless of QB.  Just because that offense tends to favor young and raw QBs doesn't make him a genius.  

I just can't grasp how there are so many fans of a coach that has a 5-6 playoff record...and by 'so many,' I mean Face, CTF, and a total retard.  

What was it about 2008 that turned you on Fisher? His QB had a meltdown week 1 & Fisher handled it like a total pro. He was decisive & showed leadership in making the decision while at the same time protecting VY. Then he went on to a league best record with KC & had a great game plan in the playoff game that was very aggressive. We flat dominated the Ravens, it was just a crazy, fluky loss. 

Theres certainly things you can criticize Fisher about  but '08 sure isn't one of them.

Remember when munchak was gonna coach longer than fisher? Speaking of total retard

Personally, I find the Kirk Ferentz is a hot NFL coaching candidate claim almost as funny. There is no evidence that NFL teams have wanted to hire Ferentz for a head coaching job in a few years.  I think he might have garnered interest in the early part of the decade (the 2000s).

But old Iowa insists that Ferentz is a sought after coaching commodity and that Iowa is a very difficult place to win.  

Edited by rns90

What was it about 2008 that turned you on Fisher? His QB had a meltdown week 1 & Fisher handled it like a total pro. He was decisive & showed leadership in making the decision while at the same time protecting VY. Then he went on to a league best record with KC & had a great game plan in the playoff game that was very aggressive. We flat dominated the Ravens, it was just a crazy, fluky loss. 

Theres certainly things you can criticize Fisher about  but '08 sure isn't one of them.

It was the playoff loss.  Best record, #1 seed, first round bye, at home, against a rival, and the entire game plan was CJ.  I was at the game, 4 rows up on the 37, and there wasn't a person in the stadium that didn't know it was over when CJ went down.

Honestly, it wasn't even just that loss...it was the fact that it was the second time the Ravens came to Nashville and beat us as the #1 seed.  His playoffs failures (and failure to get to the playoffs) cannot be overlooked....two decades as an NFL HC and he's 5-6 in the playoffs?  Are you kidding?

The funny thing about 2008 is that according to many, Fisher actually had the better QB starting and it was CJ (the RB the same crowd loves to hate) that the entire offense was based upon.  It wasn't good coaching, it was doing the only thing he could...play the back-up QB and use your new toy to try winning games.  What else was he going to do?

It's like calling a fake punt when your already out of the playoffs.  What are you going to lose?

Personally, I find the Kirk Ferentz is a hot NFL coaching candidate claim almost as funny. There is no evidence that NFL teams have wanted to hire Ferentz for a head coaching job in a few years.  I think he might have garnered interest in the early part of the decade (the 2000s).

But old Iowa insists that Ferentz is a sought after coaching commodity and that Iowa is a very difficult place to win.  

Ferentz has been sought after for NFL coaching jobs, and that is common knowledge...a simple google search will provide you plenty of evidence.  It's doubtful that he has been sought after the last couple of years because Iowa has struggled. 

If you think it's as easy to win with 2-3 star recruits as it is 4-5 star recruits, debating it with you is a futile exercise...and that's not even mentioning weather, academic standards, and drug policies.

Edited by IowaOiler

Ferentz has been sought after for NFL coaching jobs, and that is common knowledge...a simple google search will provide you plenty of evidence.  It's doubtful that he has been sought after the last couple of years because Iowa has struggled. 

If you think it's as easy to win with 2-3 star recruits as it is 4-5 star recruits, debating it with you is a futile exercise...and that's not even mentioning weather, academic standards, and drug policies.

Which NFL jobs within the last five years?  You keep on claiming this and I see no evidence.  The only "rumor" I found was that the Chiefs were interested in him (could have been put out by his agent or he himself) but then they ended up interviewing Reid for 9 hours and never interviewed Ferentz.

And the second point--you make it sound like it is impossible to win in Iowa.  Bill Snyder (similar situation at KSU) blows away Ferentz win percentage and is in a probably harder situation than Ferentz is in.  No one is arguing that it is harder to win with 2-3 star guys.  You're making it seem like Ferentz is doing a great job, which he isn't if you go by results.  

And as for the drug policy that thing is a damned joke with all the guys that have gotten arrested over the years at Iowa.  And the high standards there, they didn't seem to apply to Pierre Pierce.