Overall thoughts on upgrading the roster draft/free agency

OILERMAN

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s mostly up to Mariota now to see how far this team can go.

I honestly loved what Robinson did in free agency and the draft to upgrade the roster and fill needs.    When free agency started Daquan Jones was the priority to keep in my opinion, I start

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, code said:

I am less sold on WR group. Agree with most said here.

Getting Davis back healthy should be a huge addition in itself. He wasn’t much of an impact last year being injured. Him and Matthews should be a good starting pair. 

As for WR depth, someone needs to step up because no one has ever really produced in the NFL yet. 

And the biggest upgrade: Scheme

The OL is a legit concern, imo. The hope is it's adequate. They still have weaknesses on the interior and we'll see how they adapt to more zone. Hopefully one of the guys steps up to be decent at LG. That would leave Jones at C and Kline at RG which is very meh. Jones is an early candidate for replacement next year. I don't think Conklin is a + in zone the way he was before and he'll probably receive less help in the new scheme... plus he's (hopefully) coming back from major injury. He'll be lesser than he was and maybe even notably worse. If we have to rely on Kelly, that's not good. RT, C, LG and RG are concerns, in that order. LT is great as long as Lewan is healthy. But he's injured a good bit every year.

We need a better backup T (maybe two until Conklin is healthy) someone to step up at LG, Jones not to continue deteriorating and Kline to max out his abilities as not actively good but consistent. We won't need all of those things to happen to be good enough but we'll need some. I'm in a wait and see.

Hard to judge the WR corp with such sloppy play calling down the stretch, and catchable drops by veterans including Delanie.

I am interested in seeing how this offense evolves from a pass protection point of view (Murray was a good blocker, but too often only used as such), and utilizing speed to get the Y.A.C we have always heard of.

37 minutes ago, efus50 said:

Just think if we could have gotten Suh.  Crap we were close

Suh was about to sign, then he remembered Mike Martin clowning him in the weight room on that show and how Titans fans cackled along with much mirth.

It's Mike Martin's fault.

3 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

And the biggest upgrade: Scheme

The OL is a legit concern, imo. The hope is it's adequate. They still have weaknesses on the interior and we'll see how they adapt to more zone. Hopefully one of the guys steps up to be decent at LG. That would leave Jones at C and Kline at RG which is very meh. Jones is an early candidate for replacement next year. I don't think Conklin is a + in zone the way he was before and he'll probably receive less help in the new scheme... plus he's (hopefully) coming back from major injury. He'll be lesser than he was and maybe even notably worse. If we have to rely on Kelly, that's not good. RT, C, LG and RG are concerns, in that order. LT is great as long as Lewan is healthy. But he's injured a good bit every year.

We need a better backup T (maybe two until Conklin is healthy) someone to step up at LG, Jones not to continue deteriorating and Kline to max out his abilities as not actively good but consistent. We won't need all of those things to happen to be good enough but we'll need some. I'm in a wait and see.

Jones is the biggest weaklink on the line.

I still see a hole at backup FS, WR, RB, G, C, T but those are all depth holes and not starter holes.  I would love to see upgrades at LG, C and maybe the third WR but other than that, this roster is pretty solid from top to bottom.

Assuming Mariota is healthy and the scheme doesn't blow, this team should be able to line up and compete with anyone.