Report: Skoronski Will Start at Left Guard

tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Extremely unlikely imo. Too much good tape in the NFL so far.

I agree but the convo is if he struggles would they move Ski-rex outside and my point is ski-rex plays LT if he can, has nothing to do with Dillard.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't wait to see Skoronski's perfect technique as NPF gets boat raced on the right and Brunskil and Brewer get flattened in the center. It's a real shame because if RT had time back there, he'd be ab

If the first rep he gets is at LG, that does not mean he won't end up at LT.  People need to let it play out.  One thing for sure is that he'll be starting somewhere day 1.

I mean if the choice is a raw tackle that you don't think can start right away or a versatile Olineman who can DEFINITELY play high level guard this year and PROBABLY can be a tackle next year.... I t

Posted Images

23 hours ago, TheBukafax said:

Brutal. An OG at 11 and the 4th QB off the board with a borderline first is a scary start for Ran. Curious if it’ll work out for him.

He's an OL at this point. And considering how absolutely atrocious the whole line was getting talent at any spot thos off-season was a win.

You can't fix an entire line in one off-season. You have to do it piece by piece, best you can, especially when you have limited resources to work with thanks to the previous GM, who went full Floyd Reese on the cap 

5 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Did YOU watch the tape?

I'm not a scout and neither you but yea I watched the kid.  He's dominant - enough so to be picked #11 overall and to be projected as a top 15 pick by pretty much everyone so please show us all the errors or go away with this nonsense.  

12 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

They sound REALLY content with the idea of Skoronski playing guard. I think if him playing tackle was a big deal they wouldn't have drafted him. If they didn't know that there was a strong possibility he'd have to kick inside then fire them now because they're incompetent. 

They've had some draft pressers with meaningless talk

All the 'expert' takes on OL play here are hilarious. Played tackle and center for 4 years in HS and center  a year in college, coached OL at a low level HS back in the dark ages and know just enough about it to know I don't know jack shit about how it's played today in the NFL to make any sort of judgement about who can or should play where. I've yet to hear one NFL level OL coach or player make a statement about where Ski can or can't play.

Edited by No1TitansFan

12 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

I just did a breakdown of what I saw wrong. He is going to be a better guard than tackle.

Your reasoning for this is what? Don't give me the are length argument. I want to know how what you saw translates to guard and not tackle.

Edit: I am not projecting him as either, this question is strait up wondering what he thinks. 

Edited by Callidus

4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

See, this post would really hold weight if anyone was making the argument that there are technical or talent reasons Skoronski likely can't play tackle. But that's not the argument. You don't have to really know anything about tackle or OL play to look at his arm length and look up how many guys with arms that short have become high level players at tackle. 4th percentile arm length is pretty cut and dry. Doesn't mean it's impossible for him to work out there but the odds are decidedly against him and it's not wrong to say so. If his arms were 35 or even 34" long there would be little question about him being the presumptive starter at LT. The arm length is enough of an issue that even the team that liked him the most seems unsure of where he should play despite an amazing career at LT. 

The fact that he's had the level of success playing the position so far well enough to be the consensus best OL in this draft and has never been asked to play a down of guard despite the short arms is evidence that he just may be an outlier. Joe Thomas and others have beaten the odds. Carolina used the top overall pick in the draft to take a guy who is probably statistically more unique than Skoronski in terms of a measurement percentile.

9 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

The fact that he's had the level of success playing the position so far well enough to be the consensus best OL in this draft and has never been asked to play a down of guard despite the short arms is evidence that he just may be an outlier. Joe Thomas and others have beaten the odds. Carolina used the top overall pick in the draft to take a guy who is probably statistically more unique than Skoronski in terms of a measurement percentile.

He'll definitely be able to fill in there if need be.  Then maybe he'll do well enough to stay there.

10 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

The guy struggled against a couple of guys like Van Ness.  He also held up just fine at LT against schools like Ohio State and he did fine when facing upper tier competition.  He started LT as a true freshman and he earned all big 10 honors.  

Lastly, I'll just say that the history of guys on the OL who have been all Americans in college is a pretty high success rate to be good at the next level.  Obviously, nothing is guaranteed and the Titans are smart to start him at LG and see if he has enough to really push for LT before just trying him out there but I won't discount him based on the arm length thing alone.  He's got NFL blood, he's got experience, he's got athleticism, he has production, he has a great attitude, he went to a high end school and performed very well academically...

Easy kid to root for, I think he'll be a great player for a decade or more.