Cardinals Signing JJ Watt to 2-yr Deal Worth $31M w/ $23M Guaranteed

Jonboy

8 minutes ago, Face said:

I don’t know why you guys are so shocked at the money he got. First off, he’s still a pro bowl level player. Second off, the market for edge rushers is friggin insane. I’ve said this a few times. I’ve read some posts here about all these edge rushers everybody wants to sign & I’m wondering if you guys realize how stupid the money will be. I’ve read Bud Dupree? That’s laughable. The guys not even good & will get like $12-$13 mil a year.  

I still say, despite the disappointment, that Clowney is our best bet. Currently Spotteac has his contract at $6.6 mil this year. Do that in a heartbeat. Despite no sacks, in half a year he gave us 4 TFL, 6 hits, and 4 batted passes, plus great run defense. And he did this injured. 

Im saying this right now & I guarantee I’m right......Clowney will be the best value at edge rusher this offseason. If he really gets $6-$8 mil that’s such a better value then the contracts these other guys will sign.  If we had the cap room, I’d be all in on Lawson. But we don’t. A dominant run defender who gets a lot of pressure & disruption despite low sack totals at $7 mil is our best option. 

Watt is a defensive lineman, not really an edge rusher just as a clarification. They did of course move him out wide for matchups at times. 

I agree on Clowney actually, but I think he'll get around 10M and I'm not sure about his knee. The Titans will know exactly what's going on with it. 

As far as Lawson, he's gonna get the tag. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea Watt turned down more money or similar offers could easily be coming from Watt's agent

I would have been PISSED  if we paid that much for him. 

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

Watt is a defensive lineman, not really an edge rusher just as a clarification. They did of course move him out wide for matchups at times. 

I agree on Clowney actually, but I think he'll get around 10M and I'm not sure about his knee. The Titans will know exactly what's going on with it. 

I thought you were crazy when you said we will re-sign him. But I think we probably will get him back unless he just gets offered a multi year 15 million average per year deal. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Lawson obviously isn’t an option for us even if he wasn’t tagged.  I was just using him as an example of a guy I’d want if we had plenty of money but we don’t. My point is I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed if they expect a significant FA at the edge & for our situation Clowney makes the most sense if his price tag is in the 7-8 range. 

5 minutes ago, Thrill said:

I thought you were crazy when you said we will re-sign him. But I think we probably will get him back unless he just gets offered a multi year 15 million average per year deal. 

This offseason is highly unpredictable, so I kind of leaned more heavy into staff connections just putting out that offseason plan because it's such a crapshoot. 

But if you told me to predict one single thing that I was most confident about in terms of signing guys, it would probably be that Clowney will be on the roster in 2021. 

Watch me be wrong though - who knows. 

Edited by tgo

I was going to say it seems a bit odd he signed with another indoor turf team given the association it can have with some injuries, but apparently the Cards stadium has roll out natural grass. I don't like the signing from their perspective if it means they can't resign Jones.