Virus in US

pat

10 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Remember on page 1 of this thread when Simple Jake complained about having a separate thread for the "virus in US" because he thought it was no big deal and we should talk about it in the "virus in China" thread?  LOL

To his credit, I don't think anyone anticipated how truly stupid this country was.  

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Rogue said:

Yeah, but can you give me a reason the "pro-life" party cares?  

I didn't think so.  

Because this may very well be a conspiracy by the religious right extremists to prevent premarital sex by closing off social interactions and social consumption of alcohol.  That is why bars are being singled out and are being put out of business, while other businesses are allowed to stay open, and while protests (negative social interaction) are still allowed to continue.

At first I thought it was a democrat vs republican anti-Trump thing, but now I think this seems to be the case instead.

Either way, Covid is all bullshit.  They are using number of cases as a barometer without taking anything else into context, full well knowing it's a completely false metric,  Severity of the cases and number of deaths are being purposely ignored.  Yes, there are more cases because of increased testing, but the number of deaths is being purposely ignored because it tells a different narrative.  That's what this is all about: Narrative.  And narrative is another word for bullshit.  This is the flu.

Edited by Denali

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If the death rate staying under control is going to rely on younger people social distancing then I don't like the odds this doesn't spread to more vulnerable people.

Lost in the focus on death rate is raw numbers and specific regions being able to cope in their hospitals with those numbers.

11 hours ago, patsplat said:

Right now am in NH.  Masks are few and far between.  I’m going to change my routines for the week.  Coffee and apple fritters are great but it’s not worth dealing with folks who aren’t careful.

It's amazing, New Hampshire obviously borders Massachusetts and many people live in NH and work in MA but you would think they are two different countries.  In MA masks are mandatory.  In NH they're having Trump events without masks or social distancing.  And Manchester, where this event took place, is 75 minutes or so north of Boston.

1 hour ago, nine said:

Oh, yeah...this explanation makes a TON of sense.     

The rest of the world's countries have shut down their economies and they're sacrificing their own citizens' lives by the tens of thousands in order to help America's religious right shut down bars .     Yeah, that's some real friggin' genius there.

Wake the F up.    Despite what some seem to believe..... COVID isn't an "America" issue or a political debate.   This pandemic had a dramatic and unprecedented effect on literally every country in the world.     The rest of the world doesn't give a shit about America's bipartisan infighting and internal dysfunction.    They don't care about any of our right-wing/left-wing agendas or about trying to make Trump look good or bad.....they're too busy trying to keep their own countries from collapsing while their own citizens are dying.

And then some idiot Facebook wacko sees his local watering hole shut down and decides the whole thing is a hoax aimed at shutting down bars.    Jesus.

The religious far-right does not care about country borders.  When it comes to the conduct of society, they only care about 3 things:

1. Abortion

2. Pre-marital sex

3. Booze

The new shutdown in Texas immediately states the following:

"All bars and similar establishments that receive more than 51% of their gross receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages are required to close at 12:00 PM today."

Now, what the fuck does % of alcohol sales have anything to do with anything?  Other than an agenda targeted at closing down bars.

And Texas is a red state, so this isn't a democrat/republican anti-Trump thing.

31 minutes ago, Denali said:

The religious far-right does not care about country borders.  When it comes to the conduct of society, they only care about 3 things:

1. Abortion

2. Pre-marital sex

3. Booze

The new shutdown in Texas immediately states the following:

"All bars and similar establishments that receive more than 51% of their gross receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages are required to close at 12:00 PM today."

Now, what the fuck does % of alcohol sales have anything to do with anything?  Other than an agenda targeted at closing down bars.

And Texas is a red state, so this isn't a democrat/republican anti-Trump thing.

You have officially reached Simple J territory. Congratulations. 

Allow me to suggest the possibility that a place of establishment which is primarily used to sell alcohol may be more likely to have customers who make decisions that are other than safe and informed and well thought out. Further, the general reason people go out to a bar is to associate, the nature of which is distinct from a restaurant. Additionally, my experience in bars is that they're loud as fuck and it's impossible to hear anything unless you're two feet from someone. And, don't forget, bars have been specifically identified as locales of high spread in certain breakouts. By the way, this is all off the top of my head and I can guarantee you that there's even more information online if you bother to look.

All in all, the readily apparent reasons why a bar may be more likely to lead to problematic spread of a virus during a pandemic and the fact that this rationale is adopted across basically every location in the US and around the world should serve to explain to you why bars are being closed and you should feel more comfortable with the decision.

Conspiracies should be reserved for when evidence and rationale is scant, for when there isn't a readily available alternative answer, for when there's actual evidence of the conspiracy. If more proof and more reason only serves to make you more suspicious, then you are the problem in the scenario and you should reassess basically every other decision you make in life and you need to find some safe people who you can bounce ideas up against and ask them whether or not you're being crazy this time.