Can Ryan Tannehill Step Up Against The Chiefs?

MIKE75

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny that the national media conversation has centered around Henry and Mahomes while Tannehill is treated as an afterthought.   A direct comparison of Tannehill and Mahomes since week

Chiefs WRs had 20 TDs this year.  Titans WRs had 17.  Hardly a huge gap.     Titans TEs had 7 TDs.  Chiefs TEs had 5.    Titans had 21 rushing TDs this year.  Henry accounted 16 of

The Titans have lulled the media into false narratives regarding their offense, for sure.   Add to that, the Chiefs throwing up a 50+ burger last week, and there's NO surprise the entirety o

6 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

Can the Titans can rely on Ryan Tannehill if the Chiefs limit Derrick Henry's production in the AFC Championship Game.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/can-ryan-tannehill-step-titans-against-chiefs?ls=pftvod

RT has played smart football...I don't see KC stopping Henry. If contained I think Brown will step up on this big stage. Go Titans!!!

I don't think that's what the Chiefs will try to do.  I think they know their only chance is to get a big lead and that's not actually a great plan for a playoff game.  @nine put us an excellent comparison of Mahomes and Tannehill.  Mahomes blew Tannehill away in yards passing.  TDs about equal and YPC Tanny won.  You have to kinda toss the offensive game plan of the Titans last two game.  NE was the #1 D most of the season and the Ravens are always tough.  KC, not so good.  They play with the lead a lot that makes them look better.  I am not saying they are a bad D, just not as good as their numbers.

The Titans offense was averaging 30 points a game.  They had not trouble with NO, it just Smith called the right game for two tough defenses.  We saw one new wrinkle they worked on with Mariota.  Other than that, they haven't really had to show much of the passing attack that had been working really well.  Houston giving up all those points is what I think people are basing this on.  But Mahomes is just like any other QB, he's going to feel a different pressure when he's been sitting on the sidelines 20 minutes and he has three passes to get a first down, then again and again.  One ball bounce off some brittle fingers, then it's another 20 minute ride on the pine.

If it's the second half, then it's definitely the Henry show.  The Titans are more of a team than the Chiefs.  Offense, Defense, Special Team-minus a FG Kicker.  Kansas City is Mahomes passing attack.  When that works, they blow teams out.  When it doesn't they lose.  

These guys talk in circles. They acknowledge that Tannehill has not had to throw much.  Then they reference only the post season to answer the question if Tannehill can produce bigger numbers if they need to....

38 minutes ago, Maker84 said:

Im talking strictly about the playoffs 

I believe you’re interpreting the low number of WR catches as ineffectiveness.  I think it’s more about the way things played out and the ridiculously low number of passes overall.  

Khalif Raymond looked pretty friggin’ open on his touchdown.   Davis was wide open on his TD...and he was also wide open on the play at New England where he stepped OOB before catching what should have been a TD.  

But the fact is, WR play rarely determines wins and losses.   When an NFL defense chooses to focus on on taking away one or two WRs,  they usually can....but doing so leaves them vulnerable in other areas.  Rather than forcing throws to the WRs, the Titans are perfectly willing to attack and exploit those other areas. 

As as long as they get the W at day’s end, it doesn’t matter at all where it comes from.

1 hour ago, earlers said:

I just hope Tanne doesn’t get it in his head that he has to prove something to the naysayers because of his low passing stats. Tanne needs to run it himself if he has to. 

Eh...earlier this season he had to prove the naysayers wrong and I think that turned out pretty well.  If there's one thing you can say about Tanny, it's that he's a competitor.  He wants to be best, thinks he's underrated, and leaves it all out on the field.   The fucking show he put on for Titan fans the last 10 weeks of the season was something that should never be forgotten.  I could be very wrong, but I expect Art to take the handcuffs off of Tanny tomorrow and let him shine.  The entire planet is expecting a heavy dose of Tractorcito, would love to see Tanny surprise everyone (I mean, we won't be surprised, but ya know...).