QB Controversy

Denali

There are 2 options.. pay 20 million to the QB and have the rest of the team be very solid OR pay the QB 30 plus million and have the rest of the offense be average or below.... the Vikings have chosen the latter..

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

If you look at Football Outsiders, Tannehill's DVOA for 2018 and 2016 was lower than Mariota.  RT was out for all of 2017 with an injury.  He's likely a stop gap and nothing more.

Watch some college football for a few months and then tell us what QB the Titans should draft.

55 minutes ago, oldschool said:

There should be a QB controversy but there isn't. Russini has a history of this kind of reporting. 

I'm actually fine with her reporting. I believe her that she definitely picked up a sense that not everyone in the building is a stalwart Mariota defender ready to go down with the ship. It just so happens that the people who matter most don't care what the others think and are locked into Mariota no matter what at least through week one. 

20 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I'm actually fine with her reporting. I believe her that she definitely picked up a sense that not everyone in the building is a stalwart Mariota defender ready to go down with the ship. It just so happens that the people who matter most don't care what the others think and are locked into Mariota no matter what at least through week one. 

Davenport gave his opinion based on his interaction with "inside sources".  He thinks that she asked someone how the team felt about the performance of the two, knowing what answer to expect.  And they likely said something along the lines of  being pleased with Tannehill's performance and wanting to see more from Mariota.  Then she presented that in her own way.

10 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Davenport gave his opinion based on his interaction with "inside sources".  He thinks that she asked someone how the team felt about the performance of the two, knowing what answer to expect.  And they likely said something along the lines of  being pleased with Tannehill's performance and wanting to see more from Mariota.  Then she presented that in her own way.

^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly what she is known for.

1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

She has absolutely 0 skin in the game so I believe she is reporting things as she saw them. It's just very hard to make definitive claims when all we really have is speculation and what "makes sense" to us. 

Here's another conspiracy-  

During the off-season, Robinson and Vrabel have been trying to get a message across to Mariota-  stop taking big hits.  He takes a shot to the knee.  In mid air.  In a preseason game.  And while his teammates were warning him not to do that again, Vrabel verbally fist bumps and encourages him.  They've moved on.  I really believe that the competition is wide open.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001042727/article/preseason-week-2-winners-losers-redskins-qb-saga-worsens

Losers

Marcus Mariota's job security: I don't put much stock into the concept that Ryan Tannehill could start for the Titansin Week 1, if only because no local Tennessee reporters have mentioned this is remotely possible, and Titansmanagement has declared there is no quarterback competition. Even the comments by ESPN's Dianna Russinilast week that helped start a firestorm around this topic cited "a tone in Tennessee right now that this coaching staff just wants a quarterback to go out there and be the best quarterback there," rather than sourced reporting.

That doesn't mean Mariota's job is ensured that far past Week 1, and this month probably hasn't helped. I found it interesting that Paul Kuharsky, who has covered every day of Mariota's career as a beat writer, said this week he's "closer to done with Marcus than I've ever been" because of an uninspiring offseason. It's not that Tannehill is consistently out-shining Mariota in practice. It's that there isn't an obvious separation between the two players. This isn't a huge surprise, and it's worth wondering if the Titans will one day view Mariota, the second overall pick in 2015, like the Dolphins came to view Tannehill before trading him away this year: as a homegrown quarterback who couldn't push the organization beyond spinning its wheels.

2 minutes ago, Face said:

This is the reach of the century. Vrabel fist bumped MM after an 87 yard TD drive & 2 point conversion so it's obvious he moved on?

Where do these guys come from?

It sounds like he doesn't give a shit if Mariota proves he can stay healthy. 

10 hours ago, japan said:

I’ve heard the odds of Tannehill starting game 1 are 20% from a reliable source...

If they don't put Tannehill against the 1's in preseason, how is he then supposed to be named the starter for game 1?

Preseason game 4 is a nogo for Tannehill playing at all.

That only leaves preseason game 3 (the upcoming game), and many are saying that will only be a dress rehearsal, so again, if that be the case, Tannehill doesn't play against the 1's for that game either.

How does this 20% even play out?  What's the scenario?

Edited by Denali

1 hour ago, Face said:

This is the reach of the century. Vrabel fist bumped MM after an 87 yard TD drive & 2 point conversion so it's obvious he moved on?

Where do these guys come from?

Some of these guys who continue with the same Mariota stuff in every thread are being revealed to be lunatics. This abc guy and the already suspect Joel comes out calling McNair a racist. 

3 minutes ago, Denali said:

If they don't put Tannehill against the 1's in preseason, how is he then supposed to be named the starter for game 1?

Preseason game 4 is a nogo for Tannehill playing at all.

That only leaves preseason game 3 (the upcoming game), and many are saying that will only be a dress rehearsal, so again, if that be the case, again Tannehill doesn't play against the 1's.

How does this 20% even play out?  What's the scenario?

It was that one day when Mariota rested. That’s all Tannehill needs.