QB Controversy

Denali

23 minutes ago, smokeater said:

As we've been saying since last year, MM will get his chance to start the season.  With RT passing the eye test though, there very well could be a short leash.  

Not gonna happen, but at the next press conference Marcus needs to pull out his cock and shotgun a beer with it while two hookers rub their stank pussies on his ears and he tells RT to get fucked because this is his team-you know, some alpha screw all ya'll stuff.  

That's obviously slightly overstated, but his beta ass has at least some talent, and he's got to just take over if he wants to have any success going forward.  At least show some confidence and will the team to wins even if he is a social church mouse.  We'd all be behind him if he'd do this.   

RT, in just a few series, showed at the very least what a real NFL Qb is supposed to look like and that's why we ooohed and ahhhed.  We  have sparingly seen a qb pass the eye test around here since #9.  MM needs to feel the heat, and with RT behind him, he does. How he responds to that heat will decide how long he's for the NFL. 

Love the post but I don’t think Mariota’s main problem is lack of balls. 

The much bigger issue is his ability to throw the ball and your solution doesn’t fix that. 

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

43 minutes ago, abenjami said:

The much bigger issue is his ability to throw the ball and your solution doesn’t fix that. 

Agreed. I t definitely starts there, but some expressed confidence might do some wonders as well.  Probably seeing some of what Baker Mayfield is about prompted that post in my mind.  I think I’m dying to get excited about the team, but we’re not quite there just yet. 

53 minutes ago, abenjami said:

It's not just the ability to throw the ball.  

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/marcus-mariota?id=2552466

Reading the strengths we see some of that, and some of the somewhat contradicts the weaknesses, but here's the weaknesses....

WEAKNESSES

Benefits from an offense that is predicated on simplified reads. Offense able to create wide-open receivers after busted coverages at times. Needs to improve resetting feet when maneuvering pocket to improve accuracy and power. Tends to "see" pass rush too often. Will drop eyes and look to escape pocket rather than stepping to available pocket space. Frequent trips outside pocket increase opportunity for injury. Pocket feel is very average. Stepped into sacks he had no business taking. Didn't have to throw to tight windows often. Average processor on field. Still learning when to get rid of the ball and move to next play. Slow to make anticipatory throws and can improve patience in allowing combo routes to mature rather than rushing the read. Missed obvious pre-snap blitzes. Drive accuracy needs work. When cutting it loose, ball tends to sail on him a bit. Arm strength is adequate but inconsistent to field side. Needs to bring hips through throws to increase zip into tight windows in NFL. Fumbled 27 times during his career.

Some of this stuff he has improved on, but so much of this is what we continue to see.  The continuous changing of offensive strategies and coaches, plus injury time, has all been a detriment to him for sure.  

Sometimes he's exciting to watch.  And who doesn't love that he throws a block to give the guy with the ball a chance?  But if he can't the above deficiencies together he's not going to be a QB that consistently threatens the division and certainly not the SB.   

Edited by Rogue

On 8/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, CreepingDeath said:

Thanks for the replies.

I still am not convinced as it is the preseason (no real defensive schemes, non-starters, etc).  Add in that Tannehill was dumped after a long stint in Miami doesn't spell "world-beater" to me.  If Mariota flounders when it matters (regular season), then sure - put in the backup.

Tannehill owned it against Philadelphia.  It could be just pre-season, but Mariota has got a bunch of starts and also injuries. 

An offense is benefited by having a more accurate and certain QB. Not someone that has been irregular most of the time.

2 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Shoe lace? Seriously? The ball was chest level as it was... and besides that no one here knows the depth that Jennings was supposed to run that route. If he were coming back at a sharper angle, was a yard or two back toward the hashes, and didn't have his body facing more away from the ball toward the sideline he would have had a cleaner shot at catching that ball. I mean... there's a reason Jennings is 5th or 6th on the depth chart, right?

Maybe it was an off throw by Mariota. Or maybe the 5th receiver on the depth chart who's being roster-challenged by a couple of other new comers just flattened his route out too much. 

Even Beddingfield, one of the biggest Mariota homers out there, says it was on the QB on PK's site.

Mariota was late on his first corner route throw to Darius Jennings. He must get the ball out sooner and not lead him out of bounds.

It was obvious to everyone but the resident idiots that it was a bad throw. 

6 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Even Beddingfield, one of the biggest Mariota homers out there, says it was on the QB on PK's site.

I couldn't care less what Beddingfield has to say, pro or con, but I like how "one of the biggest Mariota homers out there" is perfectly fine to quote as long as he says something you agree with.

6 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

It was obvious to everyone but the resident idiots that it was a bad throw. 

You're one of the resident idiots, so... idk.

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I couldn't care less what Beddingfield has to say, pro or con, but I like how "one of the biggest Mariota homers out there" is perfectly fine to quote as long as he says something you agree with.

You're one of the resident idiots, so... idk.

The point is that even Beddingfield realizes it was a bad throw and he defends Mariota as much as anyone.

Yes I'm so wrong on Mariota LOL.  As opposed to your homer takes.  Tell us more about that big NE win that propelled the Titans to lose two straight divisional games and miss the playoffs.

10 hours ago, OzTitan said:

PSG1 is obviously pretty meaningless, but there can be some value in reviewing how teams approach it. For example, here are the starting NFL QBs who are not rookies/2nd year players, who started PSG1 for their teams: Winston, Cousins, Keenum, Flacco, Mariota.

Carr, Dalton, Garoppolo and Dak are chances to make it too with their games still to come.

One thing that binds these 5 QBs is they have new offensive coordinators in 2019 (except for Cousins technically, although his was interim midway through last season), however so do the following QBs who didn't play PSG1: Watson, Foles, Stafford, Ryan, Rodgers, and Dak (if he doesn't play).

But why does a coaching staff put such QBs in the opening drive of the meaningless PSG1? obviously being given the opening drive is not necessarily to say these QBs are on the bubble and need to prove their spot, because that's hardly enough playtime to do much with, but it is a chance for these guys to instill some confidence, and it's sort of a subtle way to see the NFL QB tiers in action. In this case, we're clearly looking at the "prove it or lose it" tier.

One thing these QBs also have in common, again except for Cousins, is they have backups with significant starting experience or rookies waiting in the wings - Gabbert, Haskins, Lock, and of course Tannehill. So to me, this is the coaching staff wanting to be convinced their current starter is the answer. They want that question crossed out, and it starts opening drive PSG1. If there was truly no chance of a competition at QB, then I don't think these guys start PSG1.

Arthur Smith has never actually called plays in a game and they've placed a big emphasis on getting out of the huddle faster; so it's not surprising that they'd want to get as much work in as possible on that and a game situation is the only way you can do it.