Training Camp Discussion

14 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Tannehills biggest problem is that he’s 31 and was in a passing offense with targets that knew how to get open.. and we all saw what he is and he gets no better. 

Mariotas biggest problems are he can’t stay healthy, and there’s chaos everywhere on the offense except for him... and we still don’t know what he is and if it gets better with health/consistency.. but signs point to yes when those have been there. 

Tannehill has had far more chaos around him.  His line is bottom 5 each year, his defense is in the bottom half of the league each year.  A few #2-3 caliber WRs doesn't negate that.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm somebody who tries to make it through every thread, but I just had to give up 8 pages ago; the one thread that shouldn't be a fucking Mariota debate just has to be hijacked by the same usual suspe

Those clips of Humphries are pretty friggin' impressive....very Derrick Mason-esque.   Really quick feet, great balance and body control....the type of receiver who will set up a defender and create s

This is the story of Taywan's life. 

Posted Images

• Jonboy unpinned this topic
50 minutes ago, japan said:

I mean there is no comparison between what LaFleur had to go through and Robiscuit. LaFleur had a gimp QB from the second series of the first game on. They had to implement a lot of wildcat and win games with that stiff Gabbert. What Vrabel and LaFleur did last year was miraculous when compared to Robiscuit. 

Thanks for proving my point, other issues factor into success over coaching, the 2016 was very good btw 

Just now, OILERMAN said:

Thanks for proving my point, other issues factor into success over coaching, the 2016 was very good btw 

Huh?  You argued that LaFleur did worse than Robiscuit which I demonstrated wasn't quite accurate.  Doesn't change the fact that Mularkey needed to go, was knifed by JRob even while you were gloating that there was no way they could let him go.

1 minute ago, japan said:

Huh?  You argued that LaFleur did worse than Robiscuit which I demonstrated wasn't quite accurate.  Doesn't change the fact that Mularkey needed to go, was knifed by JRob even while you were gloating that there was no way they could let him go.

A year ago you scoffed and the idea Maroita was a problem with the offense, dont suddenly act like you know what’s going on 

Everyone also conveniently forgets that the Titans offered Mularkey an extension.  When talks broke down, they parted ways.  They were not hell bent on firing him after the KC win.

Hindsight, of course, waters down the 2017 accomplishments some just because Indy was w/o Luck and Watson tore his ACL mid year.  Hard to imagine a Mariota led team beating either one if healthy.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

Good god.....

Tannehill wasn't exactly playing with the 1984 Dolphins.  Their OL was ranked at the bottom of the NFL, their leading WR was a downside Amendola, and Gore was their lead back.  None of that takes away from Tannehill being up and down and limited as a passer.  Not unlike you know who.

As for putting the hands in MM's hands....He's had 23 games in his career with 33 or more pass attempts.  The team record: 7-16.  Passer Rating of 85.3, TD% of 3.8%, INT % of 2.6. 

The team wants to win games.  Having Mariota throw a "fuck ton" based on what we have seen to date will result in one thing - Mariota getting benched.  If he was an elite QB, different story but he's not one.

And that debunks the "we need to let Mariota throw more" and run less theory out the window.  Thanks for doing the research.  I was wondering what the stats were when he threw a lot.  

Mularkey wasn't JRobs guy...he was doomed from the start plain and simple.  You don't hire a head coach before you hire your GM.  He wasn't a stop-gap..he wasn't great..he wasn't terrible..he was just Mularkey.

Had JRob hired him he did enough to keep the job but JRob didn't hire him so the bar was higher and he didn't get there. Having Robiskie and not being willing to move on from him didn't help.

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

As for putting the hands in MM's hands....He's had 23 games in his career with 33 or more pass attempts.  The team record: 7-16.  Passer Rating of 85.3, TD% of 3.8%, INT % of 2.6. 

In fairness to Mariota, most of those games were 2015-16-17 and have little relevance anymore.   Personally, I place far more stock in his most recent performances.

In 2018, he had only two games with 33+ attempts....vs Eagles and Jets.   His production in those games (64% completion rate, 313 yds/game, 4 TD, 2 INT, 95.2 rating...5.1% TD, 2.6% INT) wasn't spectacular, but it was solid and quite respectable.   

His next two highest pitch counts came against the Chargers (24/32, 75% compl, 237 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT) and Dallas (21/29, 240 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT)....also solid performances.   

Mariota's numbers for the four games where he threw the most:

95/139, 1103 yds, 7 TD, 3 INT.     68% comp, 34.8 att/game, 7.9 YPA, 275 yds/gm,  5.0% TD,  2.2% INT,  99.9 passer rating.

It ain't Aaron Rodgers, but it's pretty good.  Very solid.

It's also worth noting taht these games are a dramatic improvement over 2017, when he had 9 games of 30+ attempts...and in those game he threw a combined 7 TDs and 9 INTs.   (I won't bother running the other numbers....suffice to say, they were pretty bad.)

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

Everyone also conveniently forgets that the Titans offered Mularkey an extension.  When talks broke down, they parted ways.  They were not hell bent on firing him after the KC win.

Hindsight, of course, waters down the 2017 accomplishments some just because Indy was w/o Luck and Watson tore his ACL mid year.  Hard to imagine a Mariota led team beating either one if healthy.

You really believe that?

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

And that debunks the "we need to let Mariota throw more" and run less theory out the window.  Thanks for doing the research.  I was wondering what the stats were when he threw a lot.  

I’ll tell you another good one, he’s so good in the hurry up. 

Warren Sharpe has the rankings, the last 3 years he’s like 16th, 26th and 21st ranked(off memory) in the hurry up offense.

So many people were wrong. The coaches know

27 minutes ago, nine said:

In fairness to Mariota, most of those games were 2015-16-17 and have little relevance anymore.   Personally, I place far more stock in his most recent performances.

In 2018, he had only two games with 33+ attempts....vs Eagles and Jets.   His production in those games (64% completion rate, 313 yds/game, 4 TD, 2 INT, 95.2 rating...5.1% TD, 2.6% INT) wasn't spectacular, but it was solid and quite respectable.   

His next two highest pitch counts came against the Chargers (24/32, 75% compl, 237 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT) and Dallas (21/29, 240 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT)....also solid performances.   

Mariota's numbers for the four games where he threw the most:

95/139, 1103 yds, 7 TD, 3 INT.     68% comp, 34.8 att/game, 7.9 YPA, 275 yds/gm,  5.0% TD,  2.2% INT,  99.9 passer rating.

It ain't Aaron Rodgers, but it's pretty good.  Very solid.

It's also worth noting taht these games are a dramatic improvement over 2017, when he had 9 games of 30+ attempts...and in those game he threw a combined 7 TDs and 9 INTs.   (I won't bother running the other numbers....suffice to say, they were pretty bad.)

As time goes on, sure the historical data is less and less meaningful. 

I arbitrarily picked 33 or more since the NFL average was 34.5 but no question he was better in this area in 2018 than in 2017 (despite all of the weapons he didn't have, right?).  Saying that, I'd say his two best games last year were Dallas and NE from my perspective.  Dallas to me was the most impressive because he was so money on 3rd down in that game.

28 minutes ago, japan said:

You really believe that?

It was widely reported that they did offer him an extension.  NFL Network and local media among others.  Now, what that extension was in terms of money, length, and staffing, IDK. 

This idea that Mularkey did a bad job, especially in light of what he inherited, is just ridiculous.  He instilled some discipline and winning ball, something they had lacked for years.  I think do think Vrabel is much more charismatic and has a higher ceiling.  That counts for something.  Still, they need to make a dent in January at some point or it's all potential.