Cosell on Mariota in 2018

Jonboy

23 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

This was basically the stars aligning and presenting us with an opportunity to get exactly what we needed, short of a true franchise QB.  Like it or not, Tannehill is going to push him every day .  Fans may turn a blind eye to it, but if Tannehill (a guy just traded and now perceived as a backup QB) is out playing Mariota (a 25 yr old QB in his contract year) in practice, Mariota is going to see his value go way down.  He's going to need to sharpen his game, work on his weaknesses, basically do everything that we've wanted from him in order to justify an extension as well as clearly being better than Tannehill, a guy who they could have this season for a reasonable cap hit .

Hey Touched The Tard, what do you think are the odds of him pulling a WVY and saying I was fucked from the start. Fuck this shit, I’m going home.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cosell has made a living on reviewing tape despite no evidence of football acumen. Before the Mariota haters chime in and call me a homer, I've had this stance on Cosell forever.   https://p

Cosell's comments are in line with the conversations we've been having for a long time now;  he's just stating it an an evenhanded and objective POV rather than arguing bullet points.      M

Yea Cosell isn't a real scout. The real scouts actually drafted Russell highly.    And there is a huge difference in trying to predict a QB leaving college and coming to the pros vs analyzin

Posted Images

I can't believe people are downplaying trading for Tannehill. It's a huge indication of what they think about Mariota... and it ain't a great sign.

Look I don't think there's an open competition or anything, but if Mariota is struggling they will want to see what they have in Tannehill. Likewise if he gets hurt and Tannehill comes in and outplays him they have no commitment to Mariota after this year anyway so why not stick with the hot hand.

Edited by Titans279

3 hours ago, Titans279 said:

I can't believe people are downplaying trading for Tannehill. It's a huge indication of what they think about Mariota... and it ain't a great sign.

Look I don't think there's an open competition or anything, but if Mariota is struggling they will want to see what they have in Tannehill. Likewise if he gets hurt and Tannehill comes in and outplays him they have no commitment to Mariota after this year anyway so why not stick with the hot hand.

It’s being downplayed because it’s not a big deal outside of upgrading the backup QB position. 

Obviously, if the starter struggles or gets injured again, the backup will come in. It’s no different than any other starter-backup situation. 

3 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Not really. The only indication is that they know the starter gets hurt and having to play with the matt cassells and blaine gabberts of the world is just not good enough. 

Tannehill was given to us because we'd take on his salary. There wasn't much league interest at all. We got paid to take him and improved our draft stock this season while giving up a future mid-round pick (that i think has some conditions? no?)

If we had Drew Brees/ Phillip Rivers at their primes but they were missing 2-3 games every year... we'd still make this move. 

but, I'm sure the leash is shorter with Vrabel than it is with JRob/Amy. 

Only JRob and Vrabel know the truth.  We’ll find out what the deal is soon enough.

If they see Marcus being as limited as many on this forum believe and Tannehill outplays him in camp....the leash could be very short indeed.  Both JRob and Vrabel firmly believe the team is positioned to be a contender this year;  they’re not going to let it get derailed by one player’s inconsistency.

Or perhaps JR and MV are reasonably confident in Mariota’s ability and Tannehill is simply a high-priced insurance policy in case of injury.  Again....we’ll know soon enough.

12 hours ago, Titans279 said:

what they think about Mariota is pretty much out there....bringing in Tannehill doesn't change that.

15 hours ago, abc2330 said:

This was basically the stars aligning and presenting us with an opportunity to get exactly what we needed, short of a true franchise QB.  Like it or not, Tannehill is going to push him every day .  Fans may turn a blind eye to it, but if Tannehill (a guy just traded and now perceived as a backup QB) is out playing Mariota (a 25 yr old QB in his contract year) in practice, Mariota is going to see his value go way down.  He's going to need to sharpen his game, work on his weaknesses, basically do everything that we've wanted from him in order to justify an extension as well as clearly being better than Tannehill, a guy who they could have this season for a reasonable cap hit .

getting Tannehill and comparing that to the stars aligning up for us is a bit of a stretch.  He's not exactly what we needed.  We needed a decent back-up that could possibly play better than Mariota that is signed for more than one year.  Tannehill offers very little other than maybe he can keep us competitive if Mariota gets injured.

As far as his perception that is yet to be seen.  He is where he is cause Miami is starting over and he and his contract didn't jive with that situation.

The perception of him will be determined when he becomes a FA next year.

Mariota doesn't need to be pushed...he's playing for his job in Tenn. or a job somewhere else.  He could be out of work next year.

Maybe he's thinking I got 21 mill coming and I don't give a fuck but I doubt that.

If we had a young QB on the roster that was signed for a few years then I could see Mariotas job being in jeopardy sooner than later.  Just don't see that with Tannehill.

43 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

getting Tannehill and comparing that to the stars aligning up for us is a bit of a stretch.  He's not exactly what we needed.  We needed a decent back-up that could possibly play better than Mariota that is signed for more than one year.  Tannehill offers very little other than maybe he can keep us competitive if Mariota gets injured.

As far as his perception that is yet to be seen.  He is where he is cause Miami is starting over and he and his contract didn't jive with that situation.

The perception of him will be determined when he becomes a FA next year.

Mariota doesn't need to be pushed...he's playing for his job in Tenn. or a job somewhere else.  He could be out of work next year.

Maybe he's thinking I got 21 mill coming and I don't give a fuck but I doubt that.

If we had a young QB on the roster that was signed for a few years then I could see Mariotas job being in jeopardy sooner than later.  Just don't see that with Tannehill.

Robinson and Vrabel have stated many, many times that Tannehill is there to push Marcus.  Which is why I'm saying that it was fortunate for us to find a QB who could do that without taking up much cap space. The move isn't just about this year, they want Marcus to finally show that he can improve and stay healthy since we have a big to make regarding his future and our cap . And We aren't spending a 4th round pick on a guy who will maybe play a couple of games.  We are trying to get more out of the position in general, rather than sustain the mediocrity that we've been subjected to

21 hours ago, big2033 said:

Did we shell out starting QB cash though? Seems like we paid Tannehill backup money. His market was backup money. Just because he used to be a starter doesn't mean he was considered that good.

True since it was a one year deal but I'm assuming there were cheaper options out there. They signed the guy they thought could come in and win games if necessary. Not a stop gap.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

I dont see what the homers see in Mariota after year 4 heading into year 5 and to be so confident hes going to do well enough to earn a big contract. Hes not consistent and cant stay healthy. 

Titans history is pretty spare when it comes to prolific QB play. 

I've brought this up before but people in here used to argue for Mettenberger if, "he just had more help."

We give our young QBs a lot of rope and a lot of hope.

After two horrible 1st-round flops above average QB play to us is someone that doesn't have a ton of turnovers and gets us in the redzone.

This has been the best young QB to move our offense since McNair. And McNair played in a time where 3,000 yards passing meant something. So that fools us even more.

We really don't know what a mordern-day star at QB looks like in Titans blue.

Edited by big2033

3 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Robinson and Vrabel have stated many, many times that Tannehill is there to push Marcus.  Which is why I'm saying that it was fortunate for us to find a QB who could do that without taking up much cap space. The move isn't just about this year, they want Marcus to finally show that he can improve and stay healthy since we have a big to make regarding his future and our cap . And We aren't spending a 4th round pick on a guy who will maybe play a couple of games.  We are trying to get more out of the position in general, rather than sustain the mediocrity that we've been subjected to

why would you need to push Mariota...his fuckin job is on the line...not just here in Tenn but other teams that may be looking next year.

and the move for Tannehill is all about this year...he's here to back up Mariota and hopefully keep the team competitive if need be.

Marcus isn't gonna magically show improvement or that he can stay healthy cause we signed Tannehill.

If Marcus does earn some type of extension or tag then Tannehill is most likely gonna go elsewhere.  If Marcus doesn't then I would guess that Tannehill still test the market to see his worth.  Tannehill was signed for this year and that's about it.

Intentional or not, Robinson started this when he came out on the day of trade reiterating that Mariota was the starter but that Tannehill is here to "push him".  Vrabel has done the same exact wording.  One - it's odd when a team adds a backup QB to even broach that.  Two, it also reinforces the natural view that the gap between Mariota and Tannehill is small.

Mariota is the starter until he isn't but with neither guy under contract beyond 2019, it's likely a fluid situation.  The real compelling question, that neither the GM or HC would answer honestly, is how long of a leash does MM have IF his play is up and down and hurting the offense.

20 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Intentional or not, Robinson started this when he came out on the day of trade reiterating that Mariota was the starter but that Tannehill is here to "push him".  Vrabel has done the same exact wording.  One - it's odd when a team adds a backup QB to even broach that.  Two, it also reinforces the natural view that the gap between Mariota and Tannehill is small.

Mariota is the starter until he isn't but with neither guy under contract beyond 2019, it's likely a fluid situation.  The real compelling question, that neither the GM or HC would answer honestly, is how long of a leash does MM have IF his play is up and down and hurting the offense.

You crack me up and you're fooling yourself.  Whether Jrob came out to say it or not, you guys would turn it around and say, how come he didn't say that Marcus job is secure?  It must mean there's an open competition.  You guys can find anything to criticize.