Jonboy

Cosell on Mariota in 2018

The one issue here is that I feel Goff has a stronger arm. But maybe I'm wrong once he heals from the injury. Or maybe it's his lack of aggressiveness.

I thought Cossell gave a fair assessment.

Edited by big2033

7 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The one issue here is that I feel Goff has a stronger arm. But maybe I'm wrong once he heals from the injury. Or maybe it's his lack of aggressiveness.

I thought Cossell gave a fair assessment.

Goff is better overall but he needs a schemed passing game as well

Here's the full segment link.  I recommend folks listen to the entire segment.  Really good stuff.

I

Edited by BudAdams

5 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

I’ve thought for awhile now it’s time to go after a new QB.  Couldn’t ask for a better person in Mariota, but I think the experiment is over.  

The Goff/Mahomes trade ups should provide a blueprint as to the compensation required to trade up to get a qb.  I don't see this team as being awful so they'll probably be drafting in the teens or so.

37 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Here's the full segment link.  I recommend folks listen to the entire segment.  Really good stuff.

I

Thanks, I'll add this to the OP.

As I've said since his rookie year, Mariota is an average to slightly above average at times QB, and always has been, regardless of what his numbers try to trick people in to believing(never as good as his record breaking streak in 2016 indicated, never as bad as his recent numbers indicate). Cosell pretty much backs up that thought here.

If he stays healthy you can win with him assuming the team around him is solid. Very Joe Flacco(well..Flacco before he fell off a cliff), Jared Goff, Alex Smith, Derek Carr-ish type of QB.

Problem is that it doesn't seem he's ever gonna stay healthy.

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

The Goff/Mahomes trade ups should provide a blueprint as to the compensation required to trade up to get a qb.  I don't see this team as being awful so they'll probably be drafting in the teens or so.

They can also sign Tannehill after this season if they need insurance going into the draft and lose nothing at the position 

I tried to explain this last fall.  I described him as a Thinker®.  Cosell detailed what I was saying.  The ball isn't coming out, no yac.  They should have just let Cosell talk.  The second question by them chopped up what he was explaining.  Then Cosell just flat out says, "I don't know if it's in his DNA" when answering whether Mariota can be a top flight QB.  

"Oh Lawdy, resuscitate me.  Cosell just said Mariota doesn't have a big arm."

EYEBALL TEST.  Mariota doesn't pass it.  You can watch all the QBs and you can see after a while which are the best ones.  Now, everybody ain't Greg Cosell and explain things in football terms, but if you enjoy the sport and watch a lot of games, you can make the eyeball test.  Your description of what's wrong may not sound like Cosell's, but you are going to come to the same conclusion.