Kavanaugh

9 Nines

11 minutes ago, begooode said:

I’d vote for near anything over this new repub party — esp with their abdication of acting to check this particular administration (see Woodward book).

Frum wrote recently that while he disagrees with much of the traditional democrat politics, he respects the need for our country to have a healthy 2 party system; along with quality free press and an engaged electorate. The overall idea isn’t for your party to dominate power, but through the machinations of the battle for good inspirational ideas and leaders the byproduct is that the country moving forward overall. Ebb and flow, but overall a rising tide — not petty political battles discouraging good ideas, good people, good press, and hopeful constituents.

Same as Kristol, which is why he's actively trying to find a primary challenger for Trump in 2020 (assuming he's still around). He's stated that he doesn't want to abandon the Republicans yet, because he too wants to have a healthy two party system. It's a noble effort. Personally I don't know if the Republican party can hold. I think it will need to fold, and another party can take it's place. It may be very similar, but it would have to reject the tribal, nativist, isolationist strain of the conservative wing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh Jake please stop talking about stuff you don't understand it makes me cringe. I really can't bear to see someone embarrass themselves like this. 

When the Republican Party sends its people, they’re not sending the best.   They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to Washington.  

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I actually liked Clinton back in 2008 during the primary (and Biden), and I'll admit I got a bad taste in my mouth from those early debates with Obama (in the primaries). On top of the general election (since I very much liked McCain) I had a fairly lasting negative impression of Obama. I was very hopeful though after the election, but disappointed by the response by many Republicans and disappointed in Obama too since I don't think (especially early on) he contributed much to the bipartisan culture he claimed he was trying to foster.

Remind us why

1 hour ago, WVTITAN said:

I’m registered as an independent in WV.  Republicans are losing moderates like me.  They pander to the far right and get nothing worthwhile done while controlling the whole government.  They talk about  fiscal responsibility but spend like drunken sailors.

Are you in the same district as that Marine that's running for the House as a Dem? The one that supported the teacher's strike? I like that dude.

Ojeida?

Does he have a chance in hell in that district?

Edited by Legaltitan

One of my favorites from yesterday was Kavenaugh saying lie detector tests were not reliable.

Going against a ruling he wrote in 2016 saying "they are an important law enforcement tool".

Translation...they are very useful, as long as it is not applied to me or anything I say or do. 

Under oath yesterday, Kavanaugh stated,  "I didn't know her, I never met her, I had no contact with girls from her school" in reference to Dr. Ford. He did not say he could not remember her; he emphatically stated he did not know her.  If the FBI finds evidence that that is a lie, what happens? Lying under oath to be a justice on the Supreme Court should not be ignored in my opinion, especially considering he could have said he did not remember but instead decided he had to embellish it (e.g. a consummate liar.) 

Edited by 9 Nines

Why was this so difficult....

Judge Brett Kavanaugh's friend Mark Judge is willing to cooperate with "the FBI or any law enforcement agency," his lawyer said in a statement on Friday.

Republican Sen. Jeff Flake on Friday called for a delay on Kavanaugh's confirmation vote with the full Senate to give time for an FBI investigation into accusations against him.

"If the FBI or any law enforcement agency requests Mr. Judge's cooperation, he will answer any and all questions posed to him," attorney Barbara Van Gelder said of Judge.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/politics/mark-judge-fbi-investigation-kavanaugh/index.html

3 minutes ago, begooode said:

Why was this so difficult....

Judge Brett Kavanaugh's friend Mark Judge is willing to cooperate with "the FBI or any law enforcement agency," his lawyer said in a statement on Friday.

Republican Sen. Jeff Flake on Friday called for a delay on Kavanaugh's confirmation vote with the full Senate to give time for an FBI investigation into accusations against him.

"If the FBI or any law enforcement agency requests Mr. Judge's cooperation, he will answer any and all questions posed to him," attorney Barbara Van Gelder said of Judge.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/politics/mark-judge-fbi-investigation-kavanaugh/index.html

Good. And then we can live with the results and make the best possible decision.

37 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I assume it is not that simple.  FBI agents are skilled investigators. I hope they do not just skip to next question because he says he does not remember. 

As Ford testified, a few weeks after the incident, Judge had an extreme reaction to seeing her publicly.  He evidently remembered the event then. So unless he was involved in routine attempted rapes, it seems that memory would still be there, especially considering the last few weeks.

Not defending him, but he has already said he doesn't remember.  He's a drunk who under went cancer treatment.  True or not, it's the perfect excuse.

19 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Are you in the same district as that Marine that's running for the House as a Dem? The one that supported the teacher's strike? I like that dude.

Ojeida?

Does he have a chance in hell in that district?

Ojeda.  Yeah that’s my district.  It’s about even odds right now.  He stands a good chance because this district went republican 4 years ago.  It’s traditional democrat territory (blue dog Dems) nothing extremely liberal.

• 9 Nines changed the title to Kavanaugh