Marcus Mariota stats and season projections

OILERMAN

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're being too hard on MM because that's what we do as fans.  Watch some other games and critique the QB as severely as you would MM. I watched Luck take an awful sack yesterday that nearly cos

Current stats: 203/317 (64%), 2482 yards (7.8YPA), 21 TD, 8 INT 99.6 Rating Current projection: 324/507, 3971 yards, 34 TD, 13 INT

Figured this would be a good one to follow all season Mariota: 50 of 74   509 yards 67.6% 4 TDs 2 INTs  93.8 passer rating 16 game projection: 400 of 592   4072 yards 32 TDs 16 INTs

9 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Everybody keeps talking about the throw to AJ but we've seen plenty of those types of throws out of Marcus.  Maybe they weren't on 4th down for a game winning TD, but that's a fairly routine throw for him.

The 30 yd throw to Delanie to open the 4th quarter is the one I'm surprised so few are cheering about.  That's one I don't think he's made since he left Oregon.

DeAnthony Thomas, Josh Huff, Bralon Addison and Darren Carrinton etc. have seen plenty of them, but not Titans players or fans.

I can think of at least 5 legit reasons we haven't had success in the deep passing game and Mariota having a weak arm isn't one of them.

The guy has areas he must improve. He's young and still makes bad throws, bad decisions and makes mistakes I'm not acting like he is perfect but the throw to Delanie is just one of his many throws that showed his arm strength is not a problem. Anyone who really watched the guy in college like you said wouldn't really be one of the ones questioning his arm strength. 

The throw was credited for only like 30 something yards because of where the LOs was but IIRC he was in the shotgun formation which put him back close to the 35 yard line and he dropped back a cpl more yards before stepping into the pass and Delanie caught it at the 1 maybe 2 yard line so it was pretty close to a 40 yard pass. It was probably around 37 yards the distance the ball traveled. 

Not only he hit him in full stride right between the numbers showing great accuracy on a deeper pass  it showed very good arm strength the ball had very little air under it. It was a laser thrown almost 40 yards, perfectly hitting delanie in full stride for a TD. 

Edited by Jd8

11 minutes ago, Jd8 said:

I can think of legit reasons we haven't had success in the deep passing game and Mariota having a weak arm isn't one of them.

The guy has areas he must improve. He's young and still makes bad throws, bad decisions and makes mistakes I'm not acting like he is perfect but the throw to Delanie is just one of his many throws that showed his arm strength is not a problem. Anyone who really watched the guy in college like you said wouldn't really be one of the ones questioning his arm strength. 

The throw was credited for only like 30 something yards because of where the LOs was but IIRC he was in the shotgun formation which put him back close to the 35 yard line and he dropped back a cpl more yards before stepping into the pass and Delanie caught it at the 1 maybe 2 yard line so it was pretty close to a 40 yard pass. It was probably around 37 yards the distance the ball traveled. 

Not only he hit him in full stride right between the numbers showing great accuracy on a deeper pass  it showed very good arm strength the ball had very little air under it. It was a laser thrown almost 40 yards, perfectly hitting delanie in full stride for a TD. 

Again, my worry is we haven't seen the touch that is needed for that throw when Delanie or the WR doesnt have 2 steps on his guy (going off memory)

The fact that the coaches are letting Mariota call plays at the line is encouraging (for all parties) -- when he starts to understand the looks/heuristics in real time, this is where I get excited about the future.  But I also have the feeling we'll be frustrated sometimes while watching his progress (unnecessary timeouts, late snap & miscommunication of assignments).  Honestly, I think this is why DGB was shipped off and Hunter was cut.  It's hard enough to have a young QB make decisions during pre-snap calls, if his receivers are flaky or lazy on their breaks/assignments or can't grip the playbook.  Could be that it hurts Mariota's ability to develop the heuristics and throw with anticipation.

Also, when MM can look off safeties better, I think we'll see more successful shots down the field.

I still have battered fan syndrome, but a few more gritty wins and I can go from this:

Image result for major league they're still shitty

to:

Image result for major league they're still shitty

57 minutes ago, Denali said:

You guys are doing the projection all wrong.  You need to take his most recent performance, that being the 4th quarter, and project that for the rest of the season.  Here's what you get:

666-of-802,    6501 yards,   116 TD,    2 INT

What really stands out are the 116 TDs, which is pretty good, especially for a 2nd year QB.

Well, you can't argue with statistical analysis. 

26 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I don't think I've ever seen Mariota throws one of those "sideline bombs" that wasn't under thrown to the point that the WR had to wait for it. I didn't watch him a ton in college, 2-3 games per year probably...

:-/

He hit Bralon Addison in-stride with one once that I can recall against Colorado, and Bralon took it in for the TD.  It was from the opposite hash and probably went 55-60 yards through the air.

But that's the only one I can recall.  The rest of his long balls were either post routes or seam routes.

37 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

He hit Bralon Addison in-stride with one once that I can recall against Colorado, and Bralon took it in for the TD.  It was from the opposite hash and probably went 55-60 yards through the air.

But that's the only one I can recall.  The rest of his long balls were either post routes or seam routes.

2013 vs California 

Perfectly thrown ball in stride right down the sideline, easily 45 yards or more through the air. 

He has made the pass plenty of times. 

21 minutes ago, Jd8 said:

2013 vs California 

Perfectly thrown ball in stride right down the sideline, easily 45 yards or more through the air. 

He has made the pass plenty of times. 

No way Jd8.  Cal 2013 was the monsoon game at Autzen where Goff was pulled in the 1st qtr 'cuz he couldn't grip the ball in the downpour.

The game Bralon ran 2 punts back for TDs.

No bombs were thrown that game.  It was way too wet and way too windy for it.

I'm not saying he Marcus never threw long to the outside, he just never threw the high-arcing ball some fans want to see, except the one time that I can recall.

5 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

No way Jd8.  Cal 2013 was the monsoon game at Autzen where Goff was pulled in the 1st qtr 'cuz he couldn't grip the ball in the downpour.

The game Bralon ran 2 punts back for TDs.

No bombs were thrown that game.  It was way too wet and way too windy for it.

I'm not saying he Marcus never threw long to the outside, he just never threw the high-arcing ball some fans want to see, except the one time that I can recall.

According to ESPN you are dead right. 

MM threw for only 114 yards and the longest pass of the game was only 28 yards.