The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

3 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

They should have had  Jon walk over  a rise  at the end and see Drogon there waiting for him. 

I was halfway expecting this.

4 hours ago, Justafan said:

How rushed everything felt this season is really my biggest gripe.  Bran doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the king but with Tyrion as hand and running things, I can appreciate it in retrospect.  I also like the tragedy/bittersweet ending and even Drogon destroying the Iron Throne.  He got it as much as anyone.

My real gripe is with how they got there.  They forced things, used the easy answers, and rushed past important parts of the story.  The characters didn't feel as alive as they did early in the show and what used to feel like consequences when an important character died, now feels like a cheap shock thrill or excuse for a good visual effect.

I'm glad it's over and I still find it to be the best television experience ever, but with this last season, it will always feel like something is missing and I don't think that was GRRM's intent.  

What was missing was GRRM's material.  Either the show writers couldn't come up with the filler stories to complete episode's in order to flesh out the arcs better or they didn't want to so GRRM wouldn't be boxed into any corners outside what he shared with how the story ends....or they were flat out ready to be done with it.   

Either way, it's different because that whole world that existed beneath the surface  before wasn't there because it didn't exist the last few seasons.  

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

Drogon is worth 100 guards. She clearly wanted to be alone in the throne room. It was also obvious she had calmed down a little bit after her fiery speech and didn't view Jon as a threat. I do not have any issue with the way the scene was setup. Greyworm not killing Jon after he commits the deed is worse and the writers knew it as they punked out and didn't show it.

I know it's "TV" or whatever, but why did Dany need to be killed so soon?  She gave those speeches in the immediate aftermath of the victory.  Give it time - they won't be marching off to the next liberation for a few weeks/months/years.  "Words are wind" is a common saying in the last book.  

But yeah, "TV" speeches are considered to be gospel truth, so I get it.  

If Martin’s fault was to spend too long developing the story, Weiss and Benioff charge through it as if they have a train to catch. They have not learned that it is better to cut a subplot in its entirety than leave it in half-cooked. One minute Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth are having an affair. The next they are not. They cannot build. The final series turns on the fight against Cersei, but she is barely seen until the massacre at King’s Landing. They cannot get their story to make sense. In one episode, three dragons cannot defeat Cersei’s forces. In the next, one can.

When and if Martin finishes the novels, Game of Thrones may stand alongside Tolkien and Rowling. But the TV series demonstrates there is no substitute for an individual writer’s creative vision. And for that we should applaud it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/19/game-thrones-bad-writing-season-eight-nick-cohen

4 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I know it's "TV" or whatever, but why did Dany need to be killed so soon?  She gave those speeches in the immediate aftermath of the victory.  Give it time - they won't be marching off to the next liberation for a few weeks/months/years.  "Words are wind" is a common saying in the last book.  

But yeah, "TV" speeches are considered to be gospel truth, so I get it.  

Jon had to do it before she killed anyone else including Tyrion, himself, or his family. There was no telling when she was going to snap again. He gave her one final chance to show she wasn't going to be tyrant, even if it was a misguided one, and she failed.

11 hours ago, Jonboy said:

It's completely possible they didn't even realize it, but the way that tweet lays it out is very Martin-esque when it comes to fulfilling a prophecy.

In what way? 

He no swords are drawn anywhere

10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Jon had to do it before she killed anyone else including Tyrion, himself, or his family. There was no telling when she was going to snap again. He gave her one final chance to show she wasn't going to be tyrant, even if it was a misguided one, and she failed.

Yeah, in the "TV" world, sure, I'm down with that.  

Tyrion was the first prisoner that wasn't executed immediately.  Varys wasn't jailed.  The masters weren't jailed.  Why is there a rush?  Tyrion is in jail and not immediately killed.  

Why should she kill Jon?  Did Jon do something to openly betray her?  He should be afraid because Sansa wants him to be afraid so she can wear a crown?  

It's looking more like the Starks are the bad guys.  We get future-boy allowing all this death.  We get Queen-in-the-North playing mind games to trigger crazy-dragon-queen to murder millions.