2024 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

15 minutes ago, TheChosenTitan said:

That RAS is a joke lol they keep coming out with this shit, do you ever hear of the S2 scores anymore?

RAS is just a simple function based on publicly available measurements. It doesn’t necessarily mean as much as some people think, but it’s just math.

S2 isn’t public at all and so far hasn’t been intended for public consumption.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

reo's niece:  

Anyone got a favorite player they would like me to claim they absolutely won't take?

Gray will likely play a lot    This is def a Brinker pick

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, TheChosenTitan said:

That RAS is a joke lol they keep coming out with this shit, do you ever hear of the S2 scores anymore?

Its just fans not knowing how to watch tape (I’m one of them) and then hoping to break down someone’s potential based off a single metric. 

Pretty sure RAS is really only extremely relevant for  TEs and DEs. 

Edited by Thrill

1 hour ago, TheChosenTitan said:

This is the problem with AAS and brinker.  They actually believe that RAS and analytics lead to outcomes they want.  It is pure propaganda.  SF has not won a thing with it.  

The analytics of Mahommes at 12 did nothing.  It was gold old fashion watch the tape and see how a dude is elevating a shit team and doing it in a crazy ass system that does not translate to the NFL........yet it did.  

Fuck the analytics BS.  

It is pure garbage.  

2 hours ago, Thrill said:

Fuanga was a 9.7. You’re telling me he’s more athletic than Latham?

They are similar from memory.I didnt warch much of him because I expected him to be off the board becauee of the arms. he didn't do agility testing which is what is in question with Latham though. Olu didn't as well but his movement skills are hardly in question. 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Latham would have changed that quite a bit I imagine. The man is a freak athlete. 

And James Williams' score goes up when you score him as a LB instead of S. Still, they did not draft a very athletic class.

Edited by Titans279

55 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Latham would have changed that quite a bit I imagine. The man is a freak athlete. 

If he scored a 9.0 it would jump to a 6.22. if he scored a 9.5 it goes to a 6.29 either way we move up one spot lol

Edit: switched Williams score to a 7.4(was that right for his LB ras?)

Still only goes up to a 6.72 average with that and 9.5 for Latham. Still good for 31st.

Edited by Callidus

12 minutes ago, Callidus said:

If he scored a 9.0 it would jump to a 6.22. if he scored a 9.5 it goes to a 6.29 either way we move up one spot lol

Edit: switched Williams score to a 7.4(was that right for his LB ras?)

Still only goes up to a 6.72 average with that and 9.5 for Latham. Still good for 31st.

We moved up one spot??? Heading in the right direction!

6 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

I still can't believe the Titans haven't scooped up a few of the posters here that are experts in evaluating players at every position. 

And they've become experts spending 6-10 hours a week on the internet vs putting in 60-70 hours a week on the job actually watching players in person.

7 hours ago, Justafan said:

Latham's biggest weakness is as a move blocker. He's got the foot quickness to mirror and strength and power in spades. What he doesn't have is the elite speed at his size to get out in front of blockers like Alt or Fashanu had. He also doesn't have the speed to recover if he gets beat early in the rep. He needs to get his hands on you... but if he does, the rusher has no chance. 

His hand work is his best attribute, he has giant, super strong hands and you can tell he's been really well coached on how to use them. My one worry is that as a rookie he's going to get flagged for holds until the refs start watching their own evaluation film and realize he's actually really good at a legal technique; tends to happen some with rookie OL.

2 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

His hand work is his best attribute, he has giant, super strong hands and you can tell he's been really well coached on how to use them. My one worry is that as a rookie he's going to get flagged for holds until the refs start watching their own evaluation film and realize he's actually really good at a legal technique; tends to happen some with rookie OL.

Agreed. All rookies have ups and downs. I'm not expecting miracles. I just have to hope he's good enough as a rookie, and they are able to develop him into the player they think he can be. 

12 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Where I value RAS is that it gives you an idea of how athletic a guy is in terms of speed and explosion in comparison to his size. That's not all that important for certain positions like C for example but for an edge rusher, explosiveness is a big indicator and most of us have probably seen the correlation in numbers for TEs. 

There's also this:

Median RAS scores for pro bowlers drafted since 2010

OT - 9.37

TE - 9.07

DT - 8.85

DE - 8.85

OG - 8.80

QB - 8.66

WR - 8.59

RB - 8.58

CB - 8.48

LB - 8.42

OC - 7.51

S - 6.40

*Only 1 Pro Bowl TE (out of 18 TEs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 2 Pro Bowl OTs (out of 19 OTs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 3 Pro Bowl OGs (out of 22 OGs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 5 Pro Bowl DTs (out of 23 DTs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 6 Pro Bowl DEs (out of 33 DEs) that scored lower than a 6.

Offensive line, defensive line, and tight end seem like the most important.

Safety & center seem like the least important.

RAS doesn't tell you what a player is going to be and a high RAS doesn't mean a player will be good but a low RAS is a red flag at certain positions IMO and should be considered when looking at guys. 

RAS is perfectly useful, but it’s only as useful as the measurements are. There are plenty of guys who have better play speed than track speed.

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Where I value RAS is that it gives you an idea of how athletic a guy is in terms of speed and explosion in comparison to his size. That's not all that important for certain positions like C for example but for an edge rusher, explosiveness is a big indicator and most of us have probably seen the correlation in numbers for TEs. 

There's also this:

Median RAS scores for pro bowlers drafted since 2010

OT - 9.37

TE - 9.07

DT - 8.85

DE - 8.85

OG - 8.80

QB - 8.66

WR - 8.59

RB - 8.58

CB - 8.48

LB - 8.42

OC - 7.51

S - 6.40

*Only 1 Pro Bowl TE (out of 18 TEs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 2 Pro Bowl OTs (out of 19 OTs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 3 Pro Bowl OGs (out of 22 OGs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 5 Pro Bowl DTs (out of 23 DTs) that scored lower than a 6.

*Only 6 Pro Bowl DEs (out of 33 DEs) that scored lower than a 6.

Offensive line, defensive line, and tight end seem like the most important.

Safety & center seem like the least important.

RAS doesn't tell you what a player is going to be and a high RAS doesn't mean a player will be good but a low RAS is a red flag at certain positions IMO and should be considered when looking at guys. 

People resent RAS because it gets in the way of their desire to homer it up. They don't like a hard measurement that tells them that the guy their team just picked has little to no shot of ever making it because he's simply not athletic enough. Yeah, I said it. Fight me.