Titans 2023 Training Camp Discussion

47 minutes ago, titanruss said:

He was hurt all-season in '22. Leg injury that many said he shouldn't even be playing on.

He lost a ton of talent around him. His Oline from '21 had 3 starters go to the league. The replacements were notably worse. His top 3 WR from '21 were also not there in '22.

Makes a guy second guess himself... it's very similar to the situation RT had to deal with the last couple years.

There’s that, on the other side, Wandale Robinson was incredible in college and probably made Levis look better in 2021. I didn’t realise how good he was until I watched Levis tape

He didn’t have that in 2022 so maybe that’s a truer reflection?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone else spelled this out before   AAS - Strunk AA-S - Azeez ASS - Dennis Daley

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

There’s that, on the other side, Wandale Robinson was incredible in college and probably made Levis look better in 2021. I didn’t realise how good he was until I watched Levis tape

He didn’t have that in 2022 so maybe that’s a truer reflection?

Solid point. But I think it's just overall hard to judge because of so many variables. As much as he was a great reciever, you cant discount the injury and NFL qualty Oline departures and the all new WR crew.

I have faith he can play in the league, just not sure to what level.

People may be looking too deeply for an explanation with these QBs. 

It may simply be that the Titans saw Levis and thought he was too good a prospect not to try and get. They may have still liked Willis, but thought between his development risk and the talent of Levis, they should make a move.

Then when they got to camp, it's entirely possible that Willis improved way more than expected while Levis looked further away then expected. And now there's a legit complication for Vrabel and Carthon. 

Assuming that them getting Levis in the draft means he's the defacto #2 may be wrong.

Edited by cenj

8 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

Jumping to the end of this; Levis was drafted to be a possible RT successor and  Willis was drafted to be a Woodside succesor with a lottery ticket long shot at being a franchise QB. Regardless of who is named no. 2 this week, that still stands.

If Malik Willis was drafted to be a backup QB, it's potentially one of the worst picks the NFL has seen in a very long time even given the low capital. He had absolutely zero traits you would want out of a player to be a backup; he had never been in an NFL offense, he had never had to go through progressions, he was uncomfortable in the pocket, etc. He was drafted as a lottery ticket to be QBOTF on the off chance he developed to thrive in a pro-style system (safe to say that isn't close to the case); he was never going to be comfortable getting a spot start in his first year or two because he was a project. Projects aren't drafted for the chance they develop into a backup in a league where replacement-level backups are generally pretty available. Levis was drafted for the same reason: to be the potential QBOTF, albeit with slightly better odds considering the amount they were willing to spend to get him. Again, I think Levis has way too many flaws and not enough upside to justify that selection, but it's the one we made. 

Quiver chins made some questionable decisions, but he didn't draft a multi-year-long project so that he could eventually have the talent to replace Woodside lol.

1 hour ago, flaming_thumbtack said:

If Malik Willis was drafted to be a backup QB, it's potentially one of the worst picks the NFL has seen in a very long time even given the low capital. He had absolutely zero traits you would want out of a player to be a backup; he had never been in an NFL offense, he had never had to go through progressions, he was uncomfortable in the pocket, etc. He was drafted as a lottery ticket to be QBOTF on the off chance he developed to thrive in a pro-style system (safe to say that isn't close to the case); he was never going to be comfortable getting a spot start in his first year or two because he was a project. Projects aren't drafted for the chance they develop into a backup in a league where replacement-level backups are generally pretty available. Levis was drafted for the same reason: to be the potential QBOTF, albeit with slightly better odds considering the amount they were willing to spend to get him. Again, I think Levis has way too many flaws and not enough upside to justify that selection, but it's the one we made. 

Quiver chins made some questionable decisions, but he didn't draft a multi-year-long project so that he could eventually have the talent to replace Woodside lol.

No @No1TitansFan is right. Willis was drafted to replace the developmental guy on the roster aka Woodside with lottery ticket possibility to be the QBOTF. 

I was actually going to post I think it's possible Willis was drafted to be the back-up/slash specifically. Vrabel has used the back-up QB on offense with Mariota and he tried it with Willis but it was a disaster and RT was hurt. 

One of the first things Vrabel said after drafting Willis is: "He's hard to tackle". Interesting description for the QB you just drafted. 

If you assume this is the case everything else makes sense. Willis will be active for the pity package and Levis is still the developmental QB prospect. 

Ideally Levis would start in a year or two and Willis could go from backing up Tannehill to backing up Levis. 

I refuse to believe Vrabel/QC watched Willis in college and thought maybe he could start one day

I already posted the gadget stuff obviously but I think the purely back-up scenario is possible 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Ideally Levis would start in a year or two and Willis could go from backing up Tannehill to backing up Levis. 

Good to see you at least acknowledge this is a possibility going forward, as previously mentioned this feels like the direction Carthon wants to take this team.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

5 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Good to see you at least acknowledge this is a possibility going forward, as previously mentioned this feels like the direction Carthon wants to take this team.

Tannehill is almost guaranteed to be the 2024 starter and I said "ideally" very specifically