How do the Titans reach Super Bowl LV?

Jonboy

9 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

@Downtown It really does feel like it may come down to signing Conklin or going after a premier pass rusher. If that’s the case, give me the pass rusher every time. 

They can make the money if they really want it. But it does push the buck to a future season where we lose some pieces. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll simplify it   The Titans need to improve the defense. They need another pass rusher so they can pressure the QB with only 4 people on passing downs.    They need Simmons to be

With today being Super Bowl Sunday, I must admit I'm a little reminiscent of "what might've been." I haven't posted all that much since the loss because, frankly, that one took a while to get over. I

Dean Pees said at his final press conference: "He (Vrabel) won't say it, but I will: We had some guys that were really banged up and really were battling through some things."   The team was

19 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Depends. If it was Clowney ok. I don’t love Fowler or Dupree. Guys who underachieve most of their careers than have a career contract year is always a red flag. 

there is something to be said for continuity and Conklin is a pretty safe resign imo. A big FA going to another team is hit or miss.

Conklin is a safe re-sign BUT as noted you have to look  at upcoming FA too and Conklin's main skill set (ie run blocking) is pretty replaceable, imo.

I keep asking myself what would we need to do to beat a team like the Chiefs in the playoffs

A good start would be not to run three straight times into the LOS when PA is more than open. Also, tackle better.

We could have and maybe would have won that game had we kept that drive going and at least kept the Chiefs from scoring or even scored ourselves. The whole trajectory and momentum of the game swung on those plays.

I'd say that what the Titans need to do is improve and build on what they did. Add a piece here, remove a piece there, and ultimately just learn from experience. The Titans are every bit as good a team as the Chiefs are. In fact, I'd say the real Super Bowl was the AFCC game.

9 hours ago, Jonboy said:

With today being Super Bowl Sunday, I must admit I'm a little reminiscent of "what might've been." I haven't posted all that much since the loss because, frankly, that one took a while to get over. I keep asking myself what would we need to do to beat a team like the Chiefs in the playoffs?  Is it more defensive speed? Better coverage? An all-pro pass rusher? Or do you just have to build your offense to match them? After thinking on that for a bit though, I've come to realize that's the wrong approach. Or at least, I'm getting way ahead of myself by focusing on just one team. Instead, our primary focus should be on the division.

Warning...long post incoming...

Despite the epic playoff run, the Titans didn't win their own division and barely made the playoffs. No doubt, a large reason for that was the 2-4 hole the team started out in. Both teams playing today had 1st round byes and played all their playoff games at home. Vrabel has talked about this a lot and I think that's definitely the right idea. And the 1st step for obtaining a bye...is to win your division. 

In the past, there have been clear-cut holes that absolutely had to be filled. Now? Not so much. I think that's a testament to the job JRob has done.

OFFENSE

First off, how do we improve offensively on what was largely an incredible resurgence in the final 10 games? Even the most passionate Tannehill and Henry fans would admit they aren't likely to reproduce what they did in 2019. So where will the Titans look to improve on the offensive side of the ball? Or will they simply try and retain most of the offensive players from this run and hope a full year of Tannehill will lead to better results overall throughout the regular season?

First of all, I'm going under the assumption that both Henry and Tannehill are back in some form. Not sure what the contracts will end up being, but I'm fairly confident both will be Titans in 2020. So how do we attempt to hide each of their biggest weaknesses?

Even the most ardent supporters of Tannehill know his pocket awareness is an issue. It's not that he doesn't sense the pressure, it's that he's so patient and so trusting in his guys, he'll remain in the pocket for extended periods waiting for them to get open. There are 2 ways to try and hide this:

1) Improve the pass protection.

The Titans offensive line had a roller coaster year. They started without Taylor Lewan (suspension), lost Pamphile early, had to play a rookie who wasn't ready, and it took Saffold time to gel within the scheme. By the end of the year, we had ourselves a dominant run blocking OL, but one that was still prone to terrible stretches in pass protection. Thing is...Lewan, Saffold, and Jones aren't going anywhere. Davis probably showed enough that you hope he's able to take that next step with a full offseason and starter's reps from the get-go. Then there's the RT spot. I don't know what the answer is here, but I've read numerous interviews with o-line guys over the years who talk about the importance of continuity and really knowing the style, strengths, and weaknesses of the man lining up next to you. We know what we're getting with Conklin. Perhaps carrying over the same starting OL into the 2020 season combined with a more experienced Arthur Smith would give the Titans the pass protecting boost they need. Or could they look at FA/draft options with the hopes of improving the pass protection but perhaps taking a hit on run blocking?

With 4 of the 5 starting OL likely locked-in already, I don't think we'll see much change in pass protection. I also don't think we'll see Tannehill magically improve something he's struggled with throughout his career. But there's another way the Titans can try and hide this...

2) Speed at the skill positions

It's amazing how true game-breaking speed changes the game. AJ Brown thrived with Tannehill and with the ball in his hands, he was a threat to take it to the house from anywhere. 

Now most here know my love for Corey Davis. I thought the kid was a perfect fit for this team (so too did JRob). He was way overdrafted at 5, but that's beside the point now. For whatever reason, the guy just can't seem to put it together consistently. We've seen him do it here and there, but it was eye opening to see how quickly AJ Brown took off with Tannehill under center. Even with so little targets coming his way, Brown dominated. I'm fine with letting Davis play out the year, but I also wouldn't be upset if they traded him for a pick. 

JRob needs to start looking for the Robin to AJ Brown's Batman, and preferably Robin would have some speed. I haven't really looked at the FA group of WRs, but I know this draft is apparently loaded at WR. I'd look for a WR pick in R2 or R3. Raymond also showed great promise in his limited snaps. Sharpe would be fine as a 4th WR, but I could see the team looking to upgrade there as well. 

3) Find a quality backup for Henry...and again, more speed wouldn't hurt

We all know the numbers for RBs after they get paid. Hopefully Henry destroys that, but rather than sitting around and hoping he's "the one," go out and get a quality backup who has some potential. It's an absolute must for this player to be a quality pass protecting RB and also good catching passes out of the backfield. I wouldn't be opposed to signing a veteran and also drafting a guy in the first 3 rounds. 

DEFENSE

The Titans defense suffered some key injuries throughout the year, but Dean Pees' "bend-but-don't-break" style ultimately contributed to more wins than losses. Pees was widely respected throughout the league for his ability to scheme against opposing offenses and often hide his own guys' weaknesses. He was also great at dialing up pressure. 

Rather than hoping someone can duplicate Pees' scheming success, the team needs to focus on adding more playmakers across the board. The Titans have a quality defense already, but they struggle mightily with key division foes such as TY Hilton, Deandre Hopkins, and Will Fuller. We absolutely have to get more pressure on opposing QBs in 2020.

1) Sign Jadeveon Clowney

Sure, there are other vet options here, but few others would bring the upside and familiarity with our scheme as Clowney would. Of course, he comes with some big risks, but the guy demands attention from opposing offensive coordinators. Having him line up opposite Landry could really start to open things up for more sacks. We'd have to overpay, but I don't see any other FA options having nearly as big an impact as Clowney would. It's also highly unlikely we find a quality EDGE player in the draft when you consider where we're picking. The only other option here would be to look at trading for a guy like the Chiefs did with Frank Clark, or like the 49ers did with Dee Ford.

2) Make big move for a CB

We all know rushing the passer consistently and without having to blitz is the best way to slow down a lot of QBs. But there are plenty of times for any team where the pass rush just isn't going to get there. Then you have guys like Mahomes and Wilson who can buy all sorts of time scrambling around. Then there's the quick passing game teams often deploy when going against a stout pass rush. 

To be fair to the Titans, they lost Butler for the year and Adoree for some time as well. It would be hard for any team to make it far after losing their top 2 outside CBs. I think most expect them to let Logan Ryan walk. So regardless of how they feel about Butler and Adoree long-term, they'll need to address at least one CB position this offseason. And if they really want to protect themselves in the future, they should start thinking about replacing Butler as well. I feel Adoree is more likely to stick long-term than Butler considering played pretty well after the injury and has that 5th year option decision coming up.

I'd love to see a trade for Ramsey, but this is pretty unlikely. He'd have to really throw a fit and refuse to sign anything long-term with the Rams for them to even consider this. They gave up 2 first rounders for the guy, after all. That being said, Ramsey hasn't been the least bit shy about his desire to play for the Titans. If you're JRob, I think you have to at least call and see. After missing the playoffs, the Rams may be wishing they had a 1st round pick this year after all. 

I don't know all of the other situations around the league when it comes to CB. Few are as talented as Ramsey. But there are other guys out there who could absolutely help this team. If we see "Trader Jon" in action again this offseason, I think CB could be the position he targets. 

3) Start Looking for Casey's Replacement

Casey had a great playoff run, but he showed some signs throughout the year that he's slowing down and having more limitations. He's due a pretty large chunk of change in 2020, but I still don't see the team parting with him. He could be a candidate for a contract restructuring though. Either way, the time is now to start looking for a guy who can rotate with him and maybe eventually take over.

Summary

This isn't an exhaustive list by any means, but I feel like the Titans could really improve their chances of winning the division by making these moves. The added benefit of a long-playoff run is that FA is just right around the corner! Hope springs eternal! Next year is our year! (Maybe)

Curious to see what moves you guys are hoping for and just your general take on how we improve what was a historic offense for us.

Good post!  The best case scenario is keeping them all togethe, but we can't afford to pay premium prices across the line.  They need to start thinking about overpaying a really good OL coach or we'll have no room to get enough key players.  Tanny has demonstrated that he's the guy and I think next year he'll be even better.  He and Davis need to spend more time together this summer.  We can get more speed through the draft, but we need two key spots from the draft meaning a hit on picks #2 and #3.  That's where they can look for a compliment to Henry, I think they may have to go 2nd round there.

1) Sign Jadeveon Clowney  Getting a game changer up front is a must.  There's no comparison to the heat we put on KC and what the 9ers showed.  It took a Mahomes to stand up to being hurried and beat up like that.  If it's not Clowney, then someone else.

2) Make big move for a CB  Bingo again.  This year the rubber is meeting the road and the Titans need to pay up big for those two positions you mentioned.  You see other teams do it all the time.  It's only going to get more difficult going forward to keep the team together.  JRob built this team for Mariota, with this being our third year contending.  The natural flow would be to make the huge FA moves now.  With all the adversities, they made the playoffs 2017, were a near miss 2018 and this year made a run to the top AFC game.  Imagine this year's team with your #1 and #2 already on the team.

#3 If we could somehow upgrade the TE position as well, it would be awesome.  We could get a vet who has more playmaking ability to match with Jonnu to help the short game.

??We looked good running Henry in the playoffs, mixing in key throws from Tannehill.  When I watched today's game, I saw the 49ers use a bunch of guys in their short game.  Jimmy G was useless in the first half, but they marched down the field with runs and short passes out of different looks.  It was very effective and it really looked like they were going to take over the game.  Is Arthur Smith ready to put together those kind of creative plays that throw a defense off balance?  We need to have plays for all the RB and receivers, that are almost sure to work for just their one play.  We keep pounding Henry and going to our best weapons, but we need to have serveral plays that seem to surprise defenses.

True, this isn't a real big list, except we need to retain all our key player as well.  

Is there any reason they can't retain Conklin and go after Clowney?  My understanding was they have enough capspace to essentially do whatever they want as long as they are ok with paying market price for those players.  Personally, you have a window now so now is the time to be aggressive and accumulate as many quality players as you can through FA and then supplement with speed in the draft.

Just my two cents.  I honestly think Logan Ryan will test the market but I think there's a good chance the market isn't as strong for him as he would like.  I could easily see Conklin, Henry, Tannehill, and Ryan all back and still see them go after Clowney too.  

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

Is there any reason they can't retain Conklin and go after Clowney?  My understanding was they have enough capspace to essentially do whatever they want as long as they are ok with paying market price for those players.  Personally, you have a window now so now is the time to be aggressive and accumulate as many quality players as you can through FA and then supplement with speed in the draft.

Just my two cents.  I honestly think Logan Ryan will test the market but I think there's a good chance the market isn't as strong for him as he would like.  I could easily see Conklin, Henry, Tannehill, and Ryan all back and still see them go after Clowney too.  

While not impossible it would be pretty tough to keep Henry/Tannehill/Conklin plus sign Clowney, in that scenario the depth of the roster would take a massive hit and you would probably have quite a few UDFA making the 53 man roster.

Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

While not impossible it would be pretty tough to keep Henry/Tannehill/Conklin plus sign Clowney, in that scenario the depth of the roster would take a massive hit and you would probably have quite a few UDFA making the 53 man roster.

I mean, they can cut some guys to clear up space and bring in a few 2nd tier FAs.  Plus the draft helps you fill holes.  Not trying to be contrarian, just looking at both angles here but I definitely see your point.