Ben Jones signs contract extension with the Titans

GLinks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moved some money around to free up Salary Cap space this year.   First domino in trade for Clowney.

Just look what is happening around the league over the last 72hrs there has been 7 trades involving OL with teams absolutely scrambling to find depth at the position.   Jones isn't great but

I'm guessing they didn't want Jones, Conklin and Kelly all coming free at the end of the year at one time. They obviously don't trust Levin to take over the starting center spot either. 

The bigger question is RT imo. Assuming Conklin plays well this season are they going to be willing to have the highest paid pair of OTs in the league? Do they trust Kelly at RT for an entire season if they let Conklin go? Would the franchise tag be an option for Conklin? 

49 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Just look what is happening around the league over the last 72hrs there has been 7 trades involving OL with teams absolutely scrambling to find depth at the position.

Jones isn't great but there isn't exactly a big pool of viable replacements for him out there.

How easy/difficult it's to find a replacement for a player is always an important consideration. 

The same will be true of MM.  Who is the replacement?  Not necessarily the same result as Jones by any means, but the same issue.

4 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Maybe they recognize that the source of most of the problems on the line is at RG at this point? All this hand-wringing over a guy's performances and yet none of the hand-wringers are in the film room and know what each player's assignments are.

Fans tend to blame the wrong people or the wrong things. 

I'll reiterate this here.

I'm not saying Jones isn't a below average player or not everything you'd hope for, but hasn't the conventional fan wisdom been that OL play in general in recent years has been subpar?

I'll just go ahead and defer to JRob on this. It's possible fans are underestimating Ben Jones based on incomplete info. It's also possible that even if Jones is subpar he may still be the best that we could hope for at this point.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm guessing they didn't want Jones, Conklin and Kelly all coming free at the end of the year at one time. 

I think this is definitely them preparing for the scenario where Conklin leaves town. Keeping Ben at least keeps the left side and center of the line in tact. I don’t think Conklin is sticking around. I think we’ll probably draft a RT and RG next year and resign Kelly.

I see Jones as an average NFL starter.  He’s neither great nor terrible.   He’ll get the job done pretty consistently, but will have the occasional whiff now and then.  

Its a solid deal for an average starting-caliber OL;  it helps ensure continuity for the next couple years and gives them one less thing to worry about next year.