Titans 2019 OTAs

Jonboy

I think there's more to how last year played out in the run/pass ratio on 1st down, which was 247 runs/169 passes (59% run/41% pass). 

QB play was unstable early on when Mariota was out or limited (HOU/JAX games) and they had a few games late where Henry exploded (JAX/NYG) and one of those was a weather game in New York.  In these 4 games, it was 74 runs/29 passes on 1st down (72% run/28% pass). 

In the other 12 games, it was 173 runs/140 passes (55% run/45% pass).  I think this probably is more in line with what they want and honestly it was pretty balanced. 

Also of note,  Mariota was 32nd in Passer Rating on 1st down with an 84 rating, 2 TD, 5 INT, and 10 sacks.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good little bits of information on the offseason program so far on today's OTP   - Amani Hooker is already taking reps with the 1st team defense and not looking out of place doing so.

This entire offseason and every thread is going to be a referendum on Mariota isn't it?

Lol.    Everyone knows if it was the opposite happening, you’d be grilling Mariota for not playing as fast. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Defensive minded coaches are often way too conservative with their offenses. I think it's a big potential problem with Vrabel. We don't know for sure because we don't seem to have a QB capable of a pass heavy offense right now anyway, but there's the possibility we do someday and that Vrabel never unleashes them due to wanting to win the game by playing defense and running the ball.

I think it's all has to do with our QB talent and Vrabel wanting to win the best way possible.  He showed a lot of versatility after the Miami destruction of the nucleus of the teams' passing game.  I doubt he would waste a great passing game just to allow his defense to control the game.

7 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Defensive minded coaches are often way too conservative with their offenses. I think it's a big potential problem with Vrabel. We don't know for sure because we don't seem to have a QB capable of a pass heavy offense right now anyway, but there's the possibility we do someday and that Vrabel never unleashes them due to wanting to win the game by playing defense and running the ball.

Vrabel played with Tom Brady.  He's not a dinosaur coach from a bygone era, he knows that a balanced offense is key and hired an OC last year in order to implement that.  

3 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Vrabel played with Tom Brady.  He's not a dinosaur coach from a bygone era, he knows that a balanced offense is key and hired an OC last year in order to implement that.  

Vrabel hired him?  Alrighty then. 

10 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Also of note,  Mariota was 32nd in Passer Rating on 1st down with an 84 rating, 2 TD, 5 INT, and 10 sacks.

That seems like an awfully high number of sacks taken on 1st down, where it isn't a obvious passing situation.

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

That seems like an awfully high number of sacks taken on 1st down, where it isn't a obvious passing situation.

How is first down an obvious passing situation? The Titans had the 4th highest % of first down runs in 2018.

edit: I’m drunk. Ignore me and carry on.

I'm guessing they probably didn't intend for last year's offense to be as run-oriented as it ultimately ended up.   

From day one,  Vrabel and MLF emphasized their vision for a balanced offense.....which is a great philosophy in theory.   The problem was in the implementation:  they spent much of the season trying to balance between an inconsistent, uneven passing game and a running game that was even worse.

I also think they were so intent on staying balanced, they sometimes lost sight of what was (or wasn't) working.   

Even though they’ll be in the nickel most of the time I’m interested in seeing whether Butler gets his starting spot back in the base sets or if he’s still the 3rd CB

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Even though they’ll be in the nickel most of the time I’m interested in seeing whether Butler gets his starting spot back in the base sets or if he’s still the 3rd CB

Yes.  If he’s still the 3rd CB then he’s gone after the season I would think.  Possible big blunder by JRob.  Hard to understand if this was a JRob signing or a Vrabel signing.  You would think JRob would know that if Belichick is benching the guy then it’s best to stay away.

Edited by japan

24 minutes ago, japan said:

Yes.  If he’s still the 3rd CB then he’s gone after the season I would think.  Possible big blunder by JRob.  Hard to understand if this was a JRob signing or a Vrabel signing.  You would think JRob would know that if Belichick is benching the guy then it’s best to stay away.

Robinson has complete control, he may get advice on a former Pat player from Vrabel but he def owns any signing or draft pick 

Butler struggled badly on the outside but was nails as the 3rd corner...which is still a  critical position in today’s game.    I doubt they keep him at $12M/year....but I could them trying to renegotiate at $8-10M/year.

9 minutes ago, nine said:

Butler struggled badly on the outside but was nails as the 3rd corner...

He played continued to play outside even as the 3rd CB. After Butler was benched Ryan played outside in the base sets and then moved inside as the nickel.