PK: Marcus Mariota was more injured than we knew in 2018

Titans279

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Nah... Mariota is just a soft ass beta pussy that sucks and needs camp competition. It's the only logical reason they would have traded for Tannehill."

Wait.  I was told that he was hardly injured during the season, except for a handful of games....Oilerman??

Nah it will happen way before that.  I’m guessing Tanny will be carving up second and third strings in preseason and the pitchforks will come out.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

At this point toughness and playing through pain means nothing if he is either missing time or it's affecting his play. It's not like he plays like Tom Brady when he's healthy. 

He was supposedly the healthiest he'd even been going into the season and looked terrible in the preseason and 1st half of the Miami game. 

Produce this season or GTFO, the why is meaningless at this point. 

produce or GTFO seems easy enough and I think that's true.  His contract dictates that more than anything else.

I'm just curious what that level of production looks like.

What do you really base it on...results?  playing 16 games?

realistically if dip shit catches the ball in Buff and we make one fucking play in London this team would have finished 11-5 with the exact same Marcus.

I'm not defending Marcus with that comment but just pointing out what could have happened with just a couple things going differently...the fine line between winning and losing and the fact that Marcus somehow manages to kinda hover right on that line.

Obviously he can have a pro-bowl type season and get his extension but I think it's more than likely he may just give us kinda what he has given us...if he does that and stays healthy enough than we can compete with Marcus and he may be better than signing some Vet or drafting a rookie unless of course we are way up there in the draft.

3 hours ago, japan said:

Wait.  I was told that he was hardly injured during the season, except for a handful of games....Oilerman??

Consider the source.

1 hour ago, Tex in a Can said:

Two horrifying words: Blaine Gabbert

^This.

It's up to the GM to have a backup good enough that the team shouldn't need to pressure a player to come back early from something as serious as a cracked vertebra.

And now we know those "Abdomen" mentions on the injury report was a strained Oblique. 

Sorry folks, but that's a significant "core" muscle, and we all know what that means.  LOL

I think Marcus probably welcomes the idea of Tannehill being a Titan, if for no other reason than the team won't (shouldn't) fall into the abyss because of a Gabbert, or a Cassel or a Mett, and he'll be able to actually recover from injuries, rather than play through the serious ones.

And if he can't, then he'll likely be playing elsewhere.

10 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

"Nah... Mariota is just a soft ass beta pussy that sucks and needs camp competition. It's the only logical reason they would have traded for Tannehill."

Who said this?

Most people have said: "Regardless of the reasons or how tough he is. He's been average. We need competition because it's hard to invest in him longterm."

Outside of injury concerns, this should relieve quite a bit of doubt about Marcus and maybe restore some faith.  Those are major injuries and it's a long list he was playing through.  How many of us could go out and be effective at pretty much anything with a broken rib, plantar fascietus and a nerve issue?  I would wager not many.

He has to stay healthy and the Titans have to do everything they possibly can to protect him.  That is the #1 goal of this offseason.  Everything else is now a distant second imo.  

OL in the first round is an even bigger priority now than it was before.  Just my thoughts. 

7 hours ago, titanruss said:

That list that shows the myriad of injuries he had to deal with.. we didn’t even know about most of them (is this what’s happening every year?) including a pulled and then completely torn away plantar facia tendon?... just goes to show a few things to me. ...

The FO has to protect the QB in as many ways as possible. That includes better line, better blocking backs/ TE... AND not running a scheme that runs your QB often or puts him in position to get popped as the handoff man in a read-option. Who cares if his injuries that keep him out happen within the pocket as much as outside the pocket. The ones outside the pocket  (and read options) are easily preventable. Spread the field out more so that blitzes are more visible and running lanes are larger when forced to bail. 

Whether you believe in injury prone or not.. these are steps you have to take. EVERY QBs that runs these offenses and runs more gets hurt significantly more. 

Marcus also has to take care of himself better. Get down like Brady/Mannings. Aaron Rodgers could have been the best ever if not for injuries because of his hustle and running. We appreciate it but it limits his time on the field and therefore limits wins for his franchise. 

So whether you believe in “injury prone” or not. There’s steps to be taken to reduce the chance of injury. 

There's a big misconception that Mariota is somehow getting hurt because he's not getting down or not throwing it away.

THAT'S NOT IT.

• He has bad pocket presence and rarely dodges free rushers. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are better at dodging tacklers than him. Yeah, I said it.
  • He has straight-line speed but his is below average at scrambling. And when he does scramble, he's below average at throwing on the run.

Mariota takes too many hits partially because he doesn't get out of the way and see it happening too late.

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

There's a big misconception that Mariota is somehow getting hurt because he's not getting down or not throwing it away.

THAT'S NOT IT.

• He has bad pocket presence and rarely dodges free rushers. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are better than dodging tacklers than him. Yeah, I said it.
  • He has straight-line speed but his is below average at scrambling. And when he does scramble, he's below average at throwing on the run.

Mariota takes too many hits because he doesn't get out of the way and see it happening too late.

There's definitely some truth to this.  He seems to find one thing to really focus on every offseason.  Hopefully this offseason, this is exactly his focus.  I've seen him scramble.  I know he's capable of it.  But then on the next play, it's like he has zero pocket awareness.  

Sure, the large number of injuries help excuse the poor play but it also shows the guy can’t stay healthy. 

I realize it’s the NFL and everyone gets dinged up but if he just gets injured everywhere every season you can’t rely on him as your starter.