Titans Interested in Jordy Nelson; Visiting Seattle First

tgo

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realize I may be arguing against an avalanche when it comes to putting music on top of highlight videos, but if you're going to use rap at least use a non-mumble rapping mfer that doesn't have to re

I really wish we'd draft a pure speed guy. Don't even care if he's a one trick pony. We've got Davis, Delanie and Humphries to move the chains. Need that deep threat who can stretch the field.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Huston said:

If Jrob and Vrabel are as smart as we think they are and trust analytics then they understand that you can't be just a run first team any more. Them attempting to upgrade the offense while nice for Marcus was something that needed to be done regardless to compete in this division let alone in the playoffs. The draft will be alot more intriguing this year with that in mind IMO.

Yup.  Running and sustained drives are great.  They keep the chains moving and keep the defense fresh.  But you have to be able to pass when you need to.  There are going to be times when you face good QBs and you have to be able to put up points to keep up.  You're going to fall behind at times and you have to be able to bounce back to find success at that next level.  There's going to be teams that are tough to run against.  There's going to be situations where one critical pass is the difference in a game or even a season.

You don't have to be the best passing offense in the NFL to be a really good team but you have to be an efficient passing offense to stand a chance.  Balance is the key for them IMO.  They attempted to pass something like 28 times a game last season.  That needs to go up to closer to 35 this season and the running game needs to average something like 5 yards a carry over the season and not dominate 4 games but be pathetic the rest of the year.  Sacks and 3rd down efficiency need to be better too.  Mariota is good on 3rd down but they took way too many sacks and simply didn't score enough in the redzone. 

It's a lot to turn around in one season.  

22 minutes ago, Justafan said:

They attempted to pass something like 28 times a game last season.  That needs to go up to closer to 35 this season

I don't think the volume matters, this could be dictated by leads or the running game working well etc......Absolutely no way in hell you want MM throwing 35 times per game. 

It's more like Huston said, they have to be more aggressive on 1st down and on downs where the defense has to guard against run or pass. 

Last year they ran more on 1st down than either year Mularkey season, even when MM was healthy. The data is crystal clear about throwing on 1st down. The new staff knows this stuff, if they run the ball on 1st down again this season we know why.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I don't think the volume matters, this could be dictated by leads or the running game working well etc......Absolutely no way in hell you want MM throwing 35 times per game. 

It's more like Huston said, they have to be more aggressive on 1st down and on downs where the defense has to guard against run or pass. 

Last year they ran more on 1st down than either year Mularkey season, even when MM was healthy. The data is crystal clear about throwing on 1st down. The new staff knows this stuff, if they run the ball on 1st down again this season we know why.

That's a good point.  Play action has become a very effective weapon on 1st down.  Having said that, if you throw on first down and are successful, wouldn't your attempts naturally go up?  It's splitting hairs, and you're probably right, maximizing the situation is more important than volume of run vs. pass.  Having said that, I would like to see a better passing offense.  I think Mariota can pass 35 times a game if they can protect him.  We'll see though.  Everything points towards them building around the run.  

11 hours ago, Justafan said:

Mariota's biggest problem, in my opinion, has always been his health and consistency, not his ability.  

Agreed. The consistency is the most troubling part. You can't be good if you're not consistent.

4 hours ago, Justafan said:

That's a good point.  Play action has become a very effective weapon on 1st down.  Having said that, if you throw on first down and are successful, wouldn't your attempts naturally go up?  It's splitting hairs, and you're probably right, maximizing the situation is more important than volume of run vs. pass.  Having said that, I would like to see a better passing offense.  I think Mariota can pass 35 times a game if they can protect him.  We'll see though.  Everything points towards them building around the run.  

Marcus isn't going to implode because he has to throw the ball 7 more times a game, that's silly. But he is right about mixing them more on first and second down, all the moves to me show them wanting to be more efficient in the run and pass game not turn into a pass first team.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:30 PM, OILERMAN said:

Marcus has like 27td/12Int when throwing more than 35 times. His yardage is obviously higher but his completion % and YPA are great those game too... and he typically runs more efficiently and for more ypc when he throws more. 

When you run the offense through him, he produces at a high standard. 

Edited by titanruss

21 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Marcus has like 27td/12Int when throwing more than 35 times. His yardage is obviously higher but his completion % and YPA are great those game too... and he typically runs more efficiently and for more ypc when he throws more. 

When you run the offense through him, he produces at a high standard. 

Most of those are in his first two years, and thus are irrelevant now.